Leyland Forum

Full Version: Oak House
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know the history of Oak House, Golden Hill Lane, which became a nursing home? I do know that my aunt and uncle rented it when they were first married in 1948 and my three cousins were all born there in the 1950s. I have a photograph of them taken in the grounds of Oak House when they were small, accompanied by a young friend whose name, I am told, was Susan Fazackerley.
Thanks for that, Audrey - I have emailed the Historical Society so watch this space!quote:

Originally posted by audpluswesties

There's a query section on Leyland Historical Society's website, you might get help there. I know the house but no info on it. Audrey

Martin Day

Hello we have recently moved in to Oak House and opened our Bookkeeping business within the house. I am very interested in the History of the house and would welcome any posts please
I was looking at Golden Hill lane history on the Leyland Historical Society page and noticed that they give misinformation regarding the old employment offices. They say that the building that is now the doctors was the aforementioned employment offices when in fact they were on the opposite corner of North Gate !!
My mum & nan both worked as carers at oak house for quite a long time years ago x
Not too familiar with Golden Hill Lane, though George Damp & Sons did have a filling station there in the early 1950s. We were about where the Leyland Motors plant main gates were located after we sold, maybe 1954?. There wasn't much else on that length between us and the houses west of Northgate back then, and Leyland Way hadn't been built. The main access to GH was either School Lane or Chapel Brow, as the other streets north of Hough Lane we all dead ends.

Where is Oak House?

Frank Damp
It's a new one on me. Oak House anyone?
(09-Feb-2016, 10:06 AM)noel Wrote: [ -> ]It's a new one on me. Oak House anyone?

I'm guessing it's the house right at the bottom of Golden Hill on the LHS just before Leyland Lane, as it converted from a special school to offices back in 2012 , the date of the original post asking about it. 317 Golden Hill lane.
Right in one Noel it was as you say on the left as you go down to the bottom of Golden Hill, I think it was one of Mrs Gingers homes, my Mother was in the one on Longmeany Gate opposite the Tiger, Mrs Ginger had a number of homes in and around the area.