Leyland Forum
Shopping centre sold for £47.5m - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Leyland Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Lancashire Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Shopping centre sold for £47.5m (/showthread.php?tid=145)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Shopping centre sold for £47.5m - Martin - 16-Jan-2003 02:01 PM

Shopping centre sold for £47.5m
by Ben Hewes
THE Fishergate Shopping Centre is being sold for nearly £50million, and rent increases are expected to follow the handover.

The new owners have denied the change will mean a sudden rise, but admit ongoing rent reviews could mean higher rates.

And more redevelopment could be in the pipeline for the recently refurbished shopping centre.

Warner Estate Holdings Plc, the firm behind six other retail centres in the North West, exchanged paperwork on Monday in a joint venture with the Bank of Scotland.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/lancashire/preston/news/PRESTNEWS8.html

- Caroline - 18-Jan-2003 07:20 PM

Whatever happened to the ABC cinema, and the 'really delightful 'Theatre pub next door with its cosy beige tiles?

- William R - 18-Jan-2003 08:48 PM

By gum Caroline, you`ve got me thinking with your reference to the ABC, so what about - the New Victoria cinema near the Parish Church where my Dad took me to see Al Jolson in the 1930`s, I think it was the Victoria then, What about the Ritz in Church Street, and the Empire across the road where the old lady still played the piano to silent pictures in the 1940`s. Is the Vic and Station still opposite the Station entrance, we used to have Managemant Dinners there. What happened to the Palace Theatre at the end of Lancaster Road where they used to have live Music Hall, and does anybody remember the Continental Cinema down Marsh Lane which showed un-censored films from the continent just after the war ended. Thats in the time when you used to have to wait on Strand Road whilst the engine and trucks crossed the road from Dick Kerrs works to English Electric works. Then there was the Port Admiral pub opposite the docks where you supped at your peril because of its reputation and close proximity to the docks and all those licentious foreign sailors. We were often told that no respectable person went in there to drink, thats why we kept quiet about it!!!! Do you remember? From over the Pennines, Cheers, Bill.

- William R - 18-Jan-2003 08:53 PM

I don`t know how that happened, sorry, Bill.

- noel - 18-Jan-2003 09:31 PM

I do remember the Continental Cinema advertising in the LEP Bill but I didn't know where it was. In fact until you just said I always thought it was the Continental pub that's somewhere on Avenham Park ( another of life's great mysteries. The Continental that is! )

- Guest 01 - 18-Jan-2003 09:56 PM

I think the Continental was where I saw a Swedish film Birth of a Baby with subtitles -very very boring, but I did go with my first boyfriend.Also saw Clochemerle there.
The New Vic-old Victoria- was a great place to go on a wet miserable day-Continuous films and the organ music.
Was that the Palace where they had the live nude shows in the days when the ladies had to be absolutely still in their tableaux according to the laws of the time.

- William R - 18-Jan-2003 10:14 PM

Lady G, Right, unless you went to see Jane of the Daily Mirror. There were some good acts on as well. Mgt. and me used to go regularly, she liked a pseudo Spanish dancer called Bill Dane, very slim surrounded by exotic dancers. It was at the junctiion of Lancaster Road and Tithebarn Street, opposite the Co-op I think.Cheers, Bill.

- Martin - 20-Jan-2003 09:50 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Caroline

Whatever happened to the ABC cinema, and the 'really delightful 'Theatre pub next door with its cosy beige tiles?

I think they were both knocked down in the 80's. I remember going in the theatre pub when I worked at the Post Office.

- Caroline - 21-Jan-2003 06:29 PM

Noel, if you go over the Ribble at the old bridge by the Bridge Inn, Lower Penwortham, turn right and keep on walking towards Avenham Park, you'll come to the Continental, a fairly ordinary pub with a beer garden .
At one point the Vic and Station became some sort of Tudor Theme pub, complete with fake street......

- noel - 21-Jan-2003 08:17 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Caroline

Noel, if you go over the Ribble at the old bridge by the Bridge Inn, Lower Penwortham, turn right and keep on walking towards Avenham Park, you'll come to the Continental, a fairly ordinary pub with a beer garden .
At one point the Vic and Station became some sort of Tudor Theme pub, complete with fake street......

What a strange place for a pub Caroline. It's a bit dicey on Avenham Park these days, quite a few people have been attacked and there are one or two druggy types hanging around virtually all the time.
Nevertheless will check it out . If you don't hear from me again.....[Smile]