Leyland Forum
Old L.M.L. Workers. Are you there? - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Leyland Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Work Mates (/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Thread: Old L.M.L. Workers. Are you there? (/showthread.php?tid=188)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- anacortesdamp - 12-Dec-2006 04:11 AM

Tony:

Since I'm not a Photobox suscriber, and have no wish to become one, I am unable to review the photos you have posted. I would suggerst that, if you want anyone on this forum to view the photos, you should develop your own web-site (usually a freebie with most ISPs) and post the photos there.

The various pictures that I've posted over the years I've been a contributor to the Forum are all on a website that my ISP provides. It's transparent to the forum until I delete a photo from my site and someone tries to access an old photo that's not there any longer.

Frank

- TonyL - 12-Dec-2006 09:37 PM

Right,
I'll try again.
Anyone know these chaps?
Click on pic. for full size image.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1787/leylandmotors1es2.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5525/leylandmotors2ww6.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5868/leylandmotors1942dg3.jpg

Hopefully these links will work, directly.
If not, I'll do something else.

- chrisjames - 13-Dec-2006 09:13 PM

Even at 51 I think these guys worked at Leyland before my time. What year were these photo's taken? I am in contact with some 'old timers' at Leyland maybe they will remember them.

- William R - 19-Dec-2006 08:35 PM

The first picture - third from left, looks like a very young Fred Bullough, he came from Duxbury I think. The others? No memories.

The third picture is of a Retriever (WLW Series) which we made a lot of during the early war years, I don`t recognise anyone.

Remember, these were the early war years when Leylands had thousands of workers on site, and everyone worked flat out for the War Effort. Sorry I can`t be any help - and I was in North Works from 1939 - 1945. We must have been very parochial those days. W.R.

- TonyL - 19-Dec-2006 10:59 PM

quote:

Originally posted by William R

The first picture - third from left, looks like a very young Fred Bullough, he came from Duxbury I think. The others? No memories.

The third picture is of a Retriever (WLW Series) which we made a lot of during the early war years, I don`t recognise anyone.

Correct William R.
Pic.1 left to Right:- Bert Rimmer? Someone called either Livesey(Clarence) or Smalley?, Fred Bullough and John (Jack) Lindley, (my grandfather).
[u]Pic.2
Only know 2 people - My grandfather again, (2nd from left) and Harold Rothwell (far right) who I worked with in the drawing office some years ago.
Pic.3 [/u] Taken in 1942. my grandfather is the only one I know.

The aforesaid Clarence Livesey, if it's him, has had a mention in the forum somewhere, recently.

- William R - 21-Dec-2006 01:56 PM

I think the pics are taken in South Works, because the chassis was assembled on the line at North Works and ran out through the bottom door onto School Lane. This was then driven into South Works for body fitting and road testing, the drivers who took them across to the Body Shop had to stand up to drive them, they didn`t have the luxury of a seat.

Still, it was wartime, and risks were taken.

It really needs someone from South Works to give an opinion on who`s who.

- chrisjames - 21-Dec-2006 09:06 PM

I went in Morrisons today, situated on the old site of the Comet shop. There are some fantastic old photographs showing the inside the factories. To think that the No 8 shop at Spurrier Works was the largest machine shop in Europe during the 70's. How times have changed.

- anacortesdamp - 22-Dec-2006 04:24 AM

Talking about Morrison's. did you all see the LEP photo a couple of weeks back which showed the neon sign over one of their Preston stores?

Apparently, the power to the sign is split between three circuits. The first three letters were lit, as were the last three, but the middle three were out.

The sign read "MOR . . ONS"

Someone didn't do what those of us in the aviation business call a "failure mode effects analysis".

Frank

- chrisjames - 22-Dec-2006 03:49 PM

Nice one Frank.[8D]

By the way we do FMEA's in the Commercial Vehicle business too.

- Ron w - 01-Mar-2007 11:04 PM

=Hi Tony,
I have been in hospital for a while so have missed the forum,but re the photo's the ones you didnt know are Dick Fish and Bill Toohey,they were foremen on the line at the B X factory.Harold Rothwell was foreman coppersmith at the time of the photo.He sadly passed awaya short while before Xmas I think he was 92.I used to work with your grandfatherin the boilershop.I think I may have a photograph of him somewhere will see if I can find it.
Cheerio Ron.