Leyland Forum
Unusual Place Names - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Leyland Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Places of interest (/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Unusual Place Names (/showthread.php?tid=2071)

Pages: 1 2 3

Unusual Place Names - anacortesdamp - 20-Aug-2008 12:57 AM

I was sitting with my coffee this morning when the local TV station ran its "what's on this weekend" graphics.

I was immediately reminded how this part of the world has some unusual place names when they announced that the Wahkiakum County Fair was Saturday and Sunday in Skomokawa.

Honest!

Frank

- LDunlop76 - 21-Aug-2008 12:56 PM

Just over the hill from us is the village of Crank and St Helens has districts called Clockface and Fingerpost - names which made me smile when we first moved here. When hubby's parents lived in the Outer Hebrides, we discovered a village called Back. I always wanted there to be one called There too, so I could employ my mother's response to questions of where she'd been - "there and back to see how far it is" - appropriately!

- noel - 21-Aug-2008 02:01 PM

There's also this one in the Orkneys. [:0]

http://www.knowhere.co.uk/4775.html

- kevin - 22-Aug-2008 11:16 PM

My Sister-in-law lives near Spital Tongues, not far from Once Brewed!! and I think there is a Twice Brewed there to.

- Gonzo66 - 06-Sep-2008 02:03 PM

In Durham there is a place called 'No Place'. Near Stanley.

- LDunlop76 - 06-Sep-2008 11:57 PM

We took daughter for a look round Bath university Bank Holiday weekend and a few miles from Bath there's a village called Tiddleywink! (Near Chippenham) Apparently they made the national news in 2003 after a campaign to get the village officially recognised on the map.

- Alan Marsden - 03-Jun-2009 05:22 PM

Recently visited the small sleepy village of 'Casanova' in Tuscany .

- LDunlop76 - 04-Jun-2009 12:27 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Alan Marsden

Hope the name didn't give you any ideas, Alan? [Wink]

- filmoss - 04-Jun-2009 12:41 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Alan Marsden

What about the sleepy village of " Great Snoring " in Norfolk ! Or the livlier village of " Little Snoring " also in Norfolk !

- dottymapley - 04-Jun-2009 05:24 PM

Yes, Phil, I've checked those out, both quite pretty places, too. How about this one in the Yorkshire Dales - "Crackpot": my late husband once suggested it would be a great place for me to live!! Not too far away was a small place (a hamlet, even) called "Fryup" - which I said might be a good place for him...