Leyland Forum
Ulnes Walton - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Research and history Projects (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Local Research and History Projects (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Ulnes Walton (/showthread.php?tid=3617)

Pages: 1 2

Ulnes Walton - Wilko - 02-Mar-2012 12:45 PM

I am doing some research on the history of Ulnes Walton. Does anyone know anything about the MOD depot there? The grass covered bunkers can still be seen. When was it built? What was it used for? When did it close. Someone once told me that it was known to locals as 'The Yankee Dump'
DW

- noel - 02-Mar-2012 01:42 PM

This site at Ulnes Walton had a number of surface stores connected and directly accessed by standard gauge railway spurs and was almost certainly under Ministry of Supply control not military.

The buildings were used to store HE shells etc. During WW2 a large amount of TNT was being shipped in from USA and Canada via Liverpool docks. This raw material was under MOS (Ministry of Supply) control and used to 'feed' a number of ROFs and Filling Factories.

The site is similar to that at Dunholme on the Hill in Cheshire discussed in another AiX thread with lots of info and pix.
http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?8098-Which-ROF-is-this

- Peter Harris - 06-Mar-2012 02:06 PM

Hope I havent got my bearings wrong after all this time.
When Wymott or Garth was built we put the mains in and there was a story that the HP hot water heating system buried in the soil constructed of welded schedule 160 steel pipes lasted only a few months due to the crap that had leached into the area from said bunkers along with the aggressive movement of the local peaty soil.
The prison was opened well behind schedule due to the remedial work.
I understood a lot of the land there is Home Office owned.

- Dave H - 06-Mar-2012 02:45 PM

I was told of Mark Strange the leyland martial artist and film maker made a film useing the site in one of his M.A. films.

- Wilko - 08-Mar-2012 02:29 PM

Noel,
Thanks a million for the link - tells me all I need to know for now. How the hell did you find it ??

- Wilko - 08-Mar-2012 02:34 PM

Yes Peter,
The depot and the prisons were built on drained mosslands. They were part of a much larger area that extended all the way from Penwortham to the outskirts of Liverpool. The part in South Ribble was earlier known as 'The White Moss' - hence Wymott?
DW

- noel - 08-Mar-2012 03:16 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Wilko

Noel,
Thanks a million for the link - tells me all I need to know for now. How the hell did you find it ??

Time and Google Derek. Glad to help.

RE: Ulnes Walton - germinal - 09-Aug-2013 07:56 AM

The locals in Moss Side used to say that the land over there that the prisons are built on was a nuclear dump. They used to refer to it as that. I don't know about the accuracy of it, but there was obviously some very toxic stuff in that ground.

RE: Ulnes Walton - Wooddragon - 13-Apr-2017 11:26 PM

I remember going in the amo dumps 30 plus years ago , it was full of army clothes , and brass shells amongst other stuff , we used to go fishing around there and when you are young you are curious , does anyone know anything about the bunker was there more than one and what happened to them are they still there .

RE: Ulnes Walton - Tubeman - 16-Apr-2017 08:36 PM

I'm currently researching a historical atlas of the railways of Lancashire (I've already covered London and Birmingham), and am trying to get the history of the facility, or more precisely the railways. There was a short-lived station on the Preston to Liverpool line for workmen building the WD depot which was open 27th January 1941 to July / August that year which is presumably when the facility opened... but I'm trying to establish when rail traffic into the site ceased. It was quite a large network, it was never depicted on any ordnance survey map as was the norm for military depots, but the railway network can be traced on the 1970 Ordnance Survey, before the prisons covered much of the site. The link in Noel's post above doesn't work anymore unfortunately.