Leyland Forum
Those crazy yanks - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Life, The Universe and Everything (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Trivia (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Those crazy yanks (/showthread.php?tid=4823)

Pages: 1 2 3

Those crazy yanks - Martin - 19-Aug-2014 12:54 PM

Have a look at this book on Amazon and then read the reviews.

www.amazon.com

The reviews are hilarious although you can't take a book like this seriously.

RE: Those crazy yanks - noel - 20-Aug-2014 08:26 PM

Long live the difference.

RE: Those crazy yanks - Peter Harris - 21-Aug-2014 01:58 AM

I've always found it un-nerving in the US (particularly Texas) where you go in a bar and you can see people drinking with guns on them - scary.

RE: Those crazy yanks - anacortesdamp - 22-Aug-2014 03:39 AM

Strictly speaking "Yanks" (short for "Yankees") applies only to people from the North-Eastern group of states that fought the Southern States in the Civil War. There wasn't much in the far-West back then - mainly trappers and explorers. Many of them were French-Canadian, and a lot of Washignton State place names have a French flavour.

Anacortes was founded in the late 1800's by a settler who named it after his wife. She was known as Annie Curtis and he reverted to the Spanish name she originally had - Anna Cortez. There are a lot of Spanish names for places around our part of the state, as most of the early exploration was done by people on Spanish Navy ships. , Particularly an Admiral called "Juan de Fuca". That's the colloquial version - the full name takes up half a page!

It wasn't until George Vancouver, with a British Navy fleet, got here, that English place names started to show up. Many of them are derived from names of crew members. The island immediately south of ours is Whidbey Island. There's a small promontory south of the Canadian border called Point Roberts, named after one of Vancouver's crewmen who was in the shpi's sick bay when the party discovered it, so they named it after him. When the US/Canada border was defined as the 49th parallel, maps weren't very accurate. Point Roberts is only about 20 square miles and is completely isolated from the US. The community is quite small and has no schools. Children are bused to Blaine, and have to cross the US/Canada border twice going to school and twice going home again!

Frank

RE: Those crazy yanks - Dave H - 22-Aug-2014 06:20 PM

Thanks Frank for the American history info.

RE: Those crazy yanks - rocketmanjohn - 06-Sep-2014 02:59 AM

I've been in many many bars [including Texas] and have yet to see anyone with a gun. I've never seen a fight in a bar either, not like the UK where it's a regular occurrence.
John

RE: Those crazy yanks - anacortesdamp - 06-Sep-2014 03:23 AM

Dave:

When my brother worked at Westward TV in Plymouth, there was a cameraman called Roberts who reckoned to be descended from the Crewman after whom Point Roberts was named. He had some old documentation to bolster his claim.

John:

The "bar" fights around here are usually in the parking lots, as the bars have some pretty effective bouncers. Many of them have attached restaurants, which calms the fighters' ardor a bit. We had dinner with my brother and sister in a local bar/restaurant while they were here for our 50th wedding anniversary. No problems - but we ate fairly early. An interesting thing at that particular place is the drinks menu. They list all the available beers, with where they're brewed listed also. About half of the listings say "next door", which is the Anacortes Brewery. They listed a stout on the chalkboard as "Steam Engine Breath Stout".

Frank

RE: Those crazy yanks - noel - 06-Sep-2014 10:08 AM

I've never seen a fight in a bar John, maybe I don't get out enough.

RE: Those crazy yanks - germinal - 06-Sep-2014 12:40 PM

Bar fights! We haven't any bars in Leyland, never mind bar fights. Well I suppose there is Wetherspoons, but that doesn't really count. Leyland is a dead hole after 6 o'clock.

RE: Those crazy yanks - rocketmanjohn - 07-Sep-2014 01:32 AM

There aren't any pubs in the U.S. only bars. Some bars claim to be pubs , but aren't [ usually mock Irish]. I guess I should have written 'pubs'.
John