Leyland Forum
No Smoking ! - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Life, The Universe and Everything (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Any Other Business (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: No Smoking ! (/showthread.php?tid=509)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

No Smoking ! - David - 11-Nov-2004 06:29 PM

Finally, someone has had the common sense to ban smoking, albeit the Scot's. but why wait until 2006 ?? And when will the English follow suit ??
There has been a ban on smoking in public places here for about five years, even in open air places like stadium's where there are crowds. And don't let anyone tell you that no smoking in restaurants, or pubs will stop people from frequenting those places. On the contrary, it has been proved here that once the smoker has got over the shock of not being able to smoke, they welcome the move. In fact, quite a few of our friends have quit smoking simply because they only smoked after eating, or when drinking alcohol.
What is your opinion [?] [Big Grin][Big Grin]

- Spitfire - 11-Nov-2004 09:50 PM

As an ex-smoker (over 30 years now) I would like to see the bans extended to more public places. It amazes me how you are asked if you want smoking or non-smoking when booking a table at a restaurant then find it`s one room without partitions of any kind!

- noel - 11-Nov-2004 10:17 PM

The only people who will not welcome this move are smokers, and even then I know some who think it's a good idea. I have written to PNE suggesting it would be a good idea to ban it in the stadium, at the moment the only place where you cannot smoke is in the Pavilion, so guess where I go. I had an amusing incident on a plane when I was flying to Chalkidiki for a holiday. As we were beginning to descend to land, the smell of pipe tobacco hung in the air. An elderly gentleman behind me had lit his pipe ( or should I say the tobacco in his pipe) . A stewardess quickly ran up the aisle and said " you mustn't smoke sir, you could cause a lot of damage."
The man replied " I 've been smoking ferr 60 years an' I haven't caused any damage to me se'n yet! "

- Martin - 11-Nov-2004 10:22 PM

Smoking has also been banned in Ireland. They have accepted it over there without too much fuss, so I don't see why it would be a problem here.

- noel - 12-Nov-2004 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Martin

Smoking has also been banned in Ireland. They have accepted it over there without too much fuss, so I don't see why it would be a problem here.

Banned up public places I think you mean Martin.[Smile]

- Martin - 12-Nov-2004 10:39 AM

I thought that was what we were talking about Noel.

- William R - 12-Nov-2004 10:55 AM

I stopped smoking in 1970 when I took up a post with BBA Group. The strange smell was not of fresh air, but of Toluene, Xylene, Methylated Spirit, Cashew Nut Shell Liquid, all freely liberated. All electrical equipment was covered by the Explosives Act for safety, employees were checked regularly for lung abnormalities.

Employees who had come by car were asked to remain in a "clean air" room before being allowed to drive their car home, for some time.

Smoking! Not on your Nellie.

William R.

- Alan Marsden - 12-Nov-2004 03:32 PM

Smoking in public places has been banned in Canada for several years. Of course it initally enraged many including restraunt and bar proprietors who did not realise that many other people avoided their establishment for that reason.
Small groups of smelly coughing people continue to gather outdoors in 'cigarette butt littered areas', for their 'fag breaks'!

- Martin - 12-Nov-2004 03:53 PM

I've set up a poll on the leylandtown.info home page as follows...

Are you in favour of a ban on smoking in public places?

- noel - 15-Nov-2004 07:23 PM

Here's an interesting development, the remote kingdom of Bhutan in the Himalayas has decided to ban sales of all smoking products as from Wednesday.
Good luck, I hope for the sake of all , smokers and non-smokers they make it work.