Leyland Forum
Re engaging - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Leyland Forum (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Welcome (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Re engaging (/showthread.php?tid=5118)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re engaging - Alan Marsden - 16-Jun-2017 05:01 PM

Hi, my name is Alan Marsden , I used to live and work in Leyland, later lived in Walmer Bridge , I now live in Canada ,it's a considerable time since I last posted on the forum , at the time I found the then new format difficult to use. Observing the listing of names of current forum members I don't see any from a few years past when the forum was a lively discussion medium, hopefully that will change , it certainly used to be enjoyable taking in opinions from members not just in Leyland but around the world. I'm presently attempting to understand the new format, not figured out how to do that as yet , hopefully I will do so soon.

RE: Re engaging - noel - 16-Jun-2017 05:52 PM

(16-Jun-2017 05:01 PM)Alan Marsden Wrote:  Hi, my name is Alan Marsden , I used to live and work in Leyland, later lived in Walmer Bridge , I now live in Canada ,it's a considerable time since I last posted on the forum , at the time I found the then new format difficult to use. Observing the listing of names of current forum members I don't see any from a few years past when the forum was a lively discussion medium, hopefully that will change , it certainly used to be enjoyable taking in opinions from members not just in Leyland but around the world. I'm presently attempting to understand the new format, not figured out how to do that as yet , hopefully I will do so soon.

Welcome back Alan. I'm still here but you're right a lot have left. The new format put some off and logging in became a chore, refusing to accept passwords etc. . Also so many seem to want to just share silly comments on Facebook. Which we're both on of course. With the recent events, certainly in the UK you'd think there would be some comments.
Nothing much to add at the moment, my son flies off to the USA tomorrow for 2 weeks of QA work Chicago, Cincinnati Indeanapolis, Aberdeen, places I hadn't a clue where abouts in USA they were bit of a shock finding Aberdeen over there :-) fortunately they all seem to be up in the north west so hope he gets on OK.

RE: Re engaging - Dave H - 16-Jun-2017 08:16 PM

Welcome back Alan, it seems a bit odd I seem to remember you as if it was yesterday, Noel is correct the new format was a shot in the foot and we lost a lot of old members and the forum lost most of its content, talking of a shot in the foot, Mrs May`s was the biggest foot shot, now to try to overcome it will cause more chaos and send her limping off down the road to nowhere dragging her party with her..Angel

RE: Re engaging - Martin - 16-Jun-2017 08:54 PM

Hi Alan, welcome back. I hope you find your way around enough to find it useful.

RE: Re engaging - anacortesdamp - 17-Jun-2017 03:20 PM

There's an Aberdeen here in Washington, Noel, but it's nowhere hear the other places you listed. There are repeat city names all over the US, as people moving to the ever-expanding frontier named their new place after where they came from. As far as I know, we're in the only "Anacortes". The story goes that, in the very early days, one of the "movers and shakers" wanted to open a US Post Office and was told he'd have to have an official city name first. His wife's maiden name was Annie Curtis so he took that and edited it to be more Spanish sounding, as the area had a lot of Spanish explorer history.

Frank

RE: Re engaging - Dave H - 17-Jun-2017 05:36 PM

The Queen showed Mrs May how to lead from the front by consoling the residents first, once again May did not get it right, then to recover her position, she invited a group of residents to Downing Street.

RE: Re engaging - noel - 17-Jun-2017 08:21 PM

Yes Frank it just surprised me how totally ignorant I am of the geography of the USA. I'm trying to follow flights on flightradar24 but my son's flight AA 055 doesn't show for some reason. Ah well he's off to Cleveland tomorrow, maybe I can track that. Dave, Theresa is becoming an embarrassment. Her interview with BBC reporter Emily Maitlis was a perfect example of how not to answer a straight forward question. I have no political bias, I've voted freely in the past but this woman is simply not fit to be our PM in my opinion. https://cliptrends.com/emily-maitlis-quizzes-theresa-may-on-grenfell-tower-full-bbc-newsnight-interview.html

RE: Re engaging - anacortesdamp - 18-Jun-2017 03:08 PM

Noel:

I got a very good example of folks not realising how big the US is, when I was at Boeing. Gulf Air (Bahrain) were accepting delivery of a 767 (one of 10 they bought) Their rep handling the transfer of ownership got a message from his boss in Bahrain that said "While you're over there, nip across to New York and finalise a lease deal with Eastern for a Tri-Star".

His response was "Why don't you nip across? Your'e close to New York than I am."

Frank

RE: Re engaging - Dave H - 18-Jun-2017 04:42 PM

That is correct Frank, my son Shaun worked for a man named Guest when he first went to Ohio, he was mending farm machinery out on site, they went out for three months on end living on the job, I asked him how big was this farm, he said gee Dad bigger than England, they were harvesting peppers and sweet corn etc, it was hard for me to envisage a farm that big, Guest paid for him to take exams in America and he become a Master Mechanic, then worked for Dayton R.T.A that was 25 years ago, he now works for himself in Beaver Creek.

RE: Re engaging - noel - 18-Jun-2017 07:50 PM

My nephew lives in San Francisco Frank/Dave. Big sis said why don't you ask your son to pop over and see him. 2,190 miles away when I checked. One good thing about living in the UK we're never far from the sea coast. (can't think of anything else lol ) joking of course. The UK has its good points. But right now it's in one heck of a mess thanks to our politicians.