Leyland Forum
Nelson/Gore family tree - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Research and history Projects (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Local Research and History Projects (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Nelson/Gore family tree (/showthread.php?tid=5151)

Nelson/Gore family tree - Leylander - 11-Feb-2018 07:42 PM

Hi all Just looking into getting more information on my family tree, Anyone who as those names in there tree please get in touch so we can chat more.
Thankyou Dave Nelson

RE: Nelson/Gore family tree - anacortesdamp - 13-Feb-2018 05:33 PM

Dave:
I'm not specifically aware of any connection between my family tree and yours, but we have links to a lot of folks through marriages over the years. A relative on the Isle of Wight has traced our family name back to refugees from France in the early 1700's who fled from a place called "Ampier". When asked their name, their reply apparently was "Nous sommes d'Ampier" (We're from Ampier) and the name stuck - later modified to remove the apostrophe and capitalise the "d'. At some later date, the "ier"was also deleted.

I think it was my great-great grandfather who got fed up of digging wells (the family business on IOW) and ended up in Leyland. As I understand it, his son founded the family ironmongery and smithy at 143 Towngate, which closed in 1974 (I think).

I can pass on some of the female relatives' maiden names if you're interested. We're some distance away from Leyland now (about 4000 miles), living in a seaside town named Anacortes in Washington State, USA.

Frank Damp

RE: Nelson/Gore family tree - noel - 13-Feb-2018 07:59 PM

Interesting story there Frank how your surname came about.

RE: Nelson/Gore family tree - Dave H - 13-Feb-2018 09:20 PM

Dave, I remember Frank Nelson who was my manager at Leyland Motors and lived near to us in Langton Close Moss-side, maybe the same family...

RE: Nelson/Gore family tree - noel - 13-Feb-2018 09:49 PM

There was an Alf Nelson at BTR too way back in the sixties/seventies.

RE: Nelson/Gore family tree - anacortesdamp - 14-Feb-2018 12:23 AM

Diagonally across from our Towngate shop, on the corner of the side street, was a fish-monger's shop. He was very well known in Leyland and his last name was Nelson. Can't remember his first name, (may have been "Billy") but I'll check into it.

Frank D