Leyland Forum
Smoky - but not the bear - Printable Version

+- Leyland Forum (http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Life, The Universe and Everything (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Any Other Business (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Smoky - but not the bear (/showthread.php?tid=5177)

Smoky - but not the bear - anacortesdamp - 23-Aug-2018 03:58 PM

We've had some bad climate characteristics for the last 3 weeks or so. Forest fires are burning in California, British Columbia and Eastern Washington. One of the California fires is almost 200 square miles.

The winds have been blowing the smoke towards western Washington. Visibility in Anacortes has been around half-a-mile for several days. It's been even worse in downtown Seattle.

This morning initially looked similar when I got up, but I later noticed there were water droplets on some of the bushes, Maybe the smoke has been replaced by fog! Visibility is about the same, but there's a lot less smoky smell. I hope the "improvement" continues! I'd like to see a bit more summer blue skies and sunshine.

Frank D.

RE: Smoky - but not the bear - noel - 23-Aug-2018 09:29 PM

Hope it clears up soon Frank. The small by comparison fires we had up on the moors are long gone and so is the sun for the moment, been rather damp but still there is a danger of water shortage. Reservoir levels are well down and sections of the canals have been locked to avoid loss of water. We have a small number of Syrian refugees in Preston now 4 families I believe who escaped the horrors of the war. Can't imagine what they must have been through.