Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1947-1951 School Friends
14-May-2008, 02:35 PM
1947-1951 School Friends
Hello ,

I am looking for old school friends of my Uncle John Hill (also known as Hilly in school days). He lived in Layland 1947-1951 and attended Farington Primary School.

I am trying to find out the ware abouts of June Robinson ( Lived on Crown Street )

Barry , Alan and Brian Pilkington ( Crown Street ) and Geoff Wilding of crown street ( i am told Geoff's family grew mint in the back garden)

if anyone has any information please , please contact me
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
15-May-2008, 04:18 PM

Hello..

Or if anybody remembers John (Hilly) or William Hill. Lived with Auntie Bella and Uncle Stanley ..

Please kindly get in contact

Thankyou
17-Dec-2008, 08:02 PM

HELLO, YES I REMEMBER A 'HILLY', HE WAS A BUSTLING BUSY LAD,(did he have a young brother who had been badly burned in a petrol-explosion, I remember seeing HIM at Fox Lane cricket club, when we were young, and being told he was Hilly's brother,55 years is a long timegone for my memory) I PLAYED FOOTBALL AGAINST HIM AT JUNIOR SCHOOL, I WENT TO ST.JAMES C.E. JUNIOR SCHOOL 1946-52, BUT I THOUGHT HE WENT BRIEFLY TO WELLFIELD SCHOOL( USED TO BE LEYLAND SECONDARY MODERN) AND THEN HE JUST DISAPEARED, I HAVE A THOUGHT THAT PERHAPS HE HAD RELATIVES WHO WERE WITH A TRAVELLING FAIRGROUND RIDE. JOHN (aka TUBBY) THRELFALL CAME FROM FARINGTON AND PLAYED FOOTBALL IN THE SAME TEAM. AND WENT TO WELLFIELD, IN MY CLASS, WOULD KNOW HIM.

GEOFF WILDING 'ONE OF THE GANG' WHO FREQUENTED THE 'BRAZILLIAN COFFEE BAR ON CHAPEL BROW,DURING THE LATE 1950's, WORKED FOR MAURICE BROOKS THE PAINT/WALL-PAPER SUPPLIER ON CHAPEL BROW, HE WENT TO WORK AT LEYLAND MOTORS AND LAST I HEARD WAS LIVING IN TARDY GATE AND WAS A FRIEND OF BRIAN COOKSON, WHOSE MUM HAD THE SHOP ON THE CORNER OF COOT-LANE/LEYLAND ROAD, BY THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS.

I WENT TO THE WEDDING OF BARRY PILKINGTON APROX 1958,(after a splendid 'bachelor-night' at the Rose & Crown pub, Ulnes-Walton) AT THE CHAPEL (now sports club) ON WESTHEAD ROAD CROSTON. HE MARRIED BILL DAVIS'S DAUGHTER, AND I BELIEVE HE LIVES IN OR AROUND LEYLAND. HIS BROTHER BRIAN, A FAMOUS FOOTBALLER, AND IS AN ESTATE-AGENT/MOVER & SHAKER IN LEYLAND

I HOPE I HAVE HELPED,
18-Dec-2008, 04:48 AM

Bruce you might remember my brother Keith Gardner he played football for the senior school his friend also played David Martin. We lived on Cowling Lane.
23-Jan-2009, 06:29 PM

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY BRUCE. WE WAS REALLY GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU.
DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW WE COULD GET IN CONTACT WITH GEOFF WILDING OR EVEN BRIAN COOKSON.

OR ANYMORE INFORMATION

MANY MANY THANKS AGAIN
24-Jan-2009, 05:58 PM

quote:

Originally posted by muffers

Bruce you might remember my brother Keith Gardner he played football for the senior school his friend also played David Martin. We lived on Cowling Lane.

HELLO, PLEASE GIVE ME FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BROTHER KEITH,

I STARTED SCHOOL AT WELLFIELD IN THE SUMMER OF 1956, where I was a member of OLYMPIAN-HOUSE(red), THERE WERE ATHENS(green)SPARTA(blue) CORINTHIANS(yellow) I WAS IN FORM 5, WITH MR LEE AS FORM-MASTER,THEN MISS BREWER (a red-haired young woman took us over, then finally, Mr Knight [AKA Spiv-Knight because he was always dressed smart in blue blazer and grey flannels, he lived in East Lancashire, and came on a small bantam motor bike) THEN I WENT THROUGH 4 YEARS, FORM 10 with Mr Russel in the 'gardening-hut at the end of the playground, FORM 15, with Mr Lowe (AKA assless due to his pecular way of walking with his upper torso leaning back) FORM 20, I have forgotten who was our form master/mistress in Form 20, But Dereck Tinsley was HEAD-BOY AND Gillian Parker HEAD-GIRL.

I LEFT AT EASTER 1956, FOR AN APPRENTICE-SHIP AT LEYLAND MOTORS.

THE REASON FOR THIS LENGTHY EXPLANATION IS THAT IT IS I FIND VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE THE TIME FRAME IS CRUCIAL.

I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT WHILE I REMEMBER VERY MANY 'BIG-BOYS' OLDER LADS, I REMEMBER VERY FEW 'SMALL-BOYS' YOUNGER LADS. AND THIS SEEMS TO BE COMMON AMONG PEOPLE I SPEAK TO. SPEAKING TO OLDER BOYS YEARS LATER THEY HAVE NO MEMORY OF ME, AND BEING APPROACHED BY YOUNGER BOYS WHO REMEMBER ME, AND OFTEN TELL ME STORIES ABOUT MYSELF THAT I HAVE FORGOTTEN, ITS WEIRD BUT IT HAPPENS. perhaps you have the same experience in your own life.

I REFER TO MY CLEAR MEMORIES OF 'ERIC TURNER' (OLDER) AND JOHN HILL (aka Hilly & a strong charactered ,vigourous boy a year older who left his impression on me)

CAN YOU TELL ME WHEN YOUR BROTHER WAS AT WELLFIELD, IF IT WAS NOT BETWEEN 1952 AND 1956, IT IS UNLIKELY I WOULD KNOW HIM, AND AGAIN UNLESS HE WAS IN MY FORM, OR PLAYED FOOTBALL WELL, I MIGHT NOT KNOW HIM BECAUSE AT THAT TIME I BELIEVE THERE WERE APROX 700 CHILDREN AT THE SCHOOL.

I HOPE I HAVE BEEN OF HELP TO YOU, THERE WERE MANY OTHER CHILDREN THERE WHOSE NAME I REMEMBER, BUT UNLESS YOU ASK ME, THERE IS NO NEED FOR A LIST.

I KNEW SEVERAL LADS WHO LIVE ON COWLING LANE, DAVE (TIFFIN)DALTON, DOUGLAS,IVAN AND CHARLIE DALTON, DENNIS (BUDGIE) BURGESS WHO DIED IN HIS LATE 30's I THINK, DERECK TINSLEY LIVED AT THE TOP OF COWLING LANE, WHEN THERE WAS A CLOTHING-SHOP, TEWSENS I THINK, AT THE JUNCTION WITH LEYLAND LANE. JOHN HAYES WHO HAD AN OLDER SISTER LIVED IN THE ACRRINGTON BRICK TERRACE ACROSS FROM THE ORCHARD.

BUT AGAIN, THE TIME-FRAME IS IMPORTANT. HELP ME OUT WITH THE TIME FRAME PLEASE.

BEST WISHES BRUCE
28-Jan-2009, 12:34 AM

This doesn't help with the time frame Bruce.

Tiffin played soccer with Bill Parr (married to
Joan Hill, they live in Australia)... for the
Red Rose Junior team in the second 1/2 of the 50's.
Bill's brother Steve played for Blackburn.

Buggie was one of the nicest people you could ever know.
He was my boyfriend(before Geoff) in 1957 ..
he died in 1991 at the age of 51.

T.D.

T. D.
16-Jun-2015, 10:58 AM
RE: 1947-1951 School Friends
(18-Dec-2008 04:48 AM)muffers Wrote:  Bruce you might remember my brother Keith Gardner he played football for the senior school his friend also played David Martin. We lived on Cowling Lane.

Hi my name is malcolm gardner I moved to chester in 1956 kieth lived
In ellesmere port some years ago I did visit leyland last year to visit my other brother david sadly he died last sept ,he did return to the leyland
Area in 1978 he was in the police and ended his police service covering leyland as the police inspector. We lived in cowling lane on my visit town centre the same missed the gas works , notice you have the compulsary tesco store to dominate the town,but they where happy days
16-Jun-2015, 01:24 PM
RE: 1947-1951 School Friends
Hello Malcolm, welcome to the forum.