Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
re: Balshaw's 1964-9, anyone?
I'm wondering what happened to people I knew back then - I'm Glenys O'Connell, nee Higham. A mousy type so....but Margaret Edwards? Audrey Spence? Yvonne Whalley? Many names I can't remember offhand but would if memory jogged! Be interested to hear from anyone in that year, just for old time's sake!

Depression: The Essential Guide
By Glenys O'Connell from Need2Know Books
Available from Amazon, Bookstores & Libraries!
quote:

Originally posted by Glenys

I'm wondering what happened to people I knew back then - I'm Glenys O'Connell, nee Higham. A mousy type so....but Margaret Edwards? Audrey Spence? Yvonne Whalley? Many names I can't remember offhand but would if memory jogged! Be interested to hear from anyone in that year, just for old time's sake!

Hi Glenys and welcome to the forum! I was at Balshaw's from 1958 - 65 so would not normally have recalled any of the names you mention, but Margaret Edwards married my cousin Michael in 1972 and they have four grown-up children, still live locally in Leyland.
welcome Glenys, many of us left a year or two before you started, I left in 1964. There is a Balshaws thread with more details.
(22-Mar-2010, 04:48 PM)dottymapley Wrote: quote:

Originally posted by Glenys

Hi Glenys and welcome to the forum! I was at Balshaw's from 1958 - 65 so would not normally have recalled any of the names you mention, but Margaret Edwards married my cousin Michael in 1972 and they have four grown-up children, still live locally in Leyland.

Hi,
My name is Geoff Hill and I attended Balshaw's from 1958 to 1965.
I started in form 1A and left from UVI Science. I doubt that many will remember me because I kept a low profile.
I came from Euxton Junior School and was in the same class as Stan Turbitt and Peter Baldwin, but they were a year ahead of me.

In Balshaw's form 1A I was accompanied by Jeff Fearnley (who became a vicar), Stuart Edwards, Philip Hodkinson, Glynis Prendergast (who sang with Doyly Carte), Janet Furness etc.

I noticed that someone was enquiring about Stan Turbitt. I do know that he was in the police force and was at sometime Coroner's Officer, because he attended the death of one of my uncles many years ago.

I would like to hear from anyone who remembers me.

Geoff Hill
I left in 1970.

Les Caunce-peacock - red hair and glasses. Did English, Geography and History in the 6th Form.
Hi Les, welcome to the forum.
Martin ~
Geoff I was in the same class as Pete Baldwin, Stan Turbitt joined the police. I was a year ahead of you. welcome to the forum Geoff and Les, any relation to Neil Caunce?
No relation to Neil Caunce - Yes One year behind.
I was friends with John Cocker, John Banks and Kevin Broxton known as Donovan.

I now live in Bristol having gone to Uni here and stayed. To me Leyland was a dump.
I thought the same of Bristol Les when I lived down there. Bath was my favourite haunt followed closely by Salisbury. We lived in Dilton Marsh just outside of Westbury.