Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Summer weather already
12-May-2018, 06:35 PM
Summer weather already
Since there's been no activity for a couple of weeks, I decided to post.

After several weeks of our usual dull, grey overcast and rainy weather, we're getting a special treat for the Mother's day weekend. Today is clear, sunny and already 68F at 10:15. It's supposed to hit about 77F by late afternoon (our high usually occurs around 17:00). The weather forecast is for 88F tomorrow.

It will probably return to our normal weather later in the week. Where we are, close to the south-west corner of Anacortes, we're across the street from homes on the waterfront of a salt-water marina. There's a fairly big bay outside the marina entrance and a decent beach about 3/4 of a mile from our house. One drawback is that the water in the bay is mainly run-off from the glaciers in the mountains to the east and, even in the height of summer, the water temperature only gets to around 60F. The other is that the beach sand is pale grey and gritty, as it starts out as volcano melt.

It's still a great place to live - small town, about 20,000 people. One manufacturing industry (ship building and repair), the rest being touristy (hotels, pleasure boat marinas, retail). We also have a lot of undeveloped land - mainly woodland that folks can walk through.

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-May-2018, 07:35 PM
RE: Summer weather already
(12-May-2018 06:35 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  Since there's been no activity for a couple of weeks, I decided to post.

After several weeks of our usual dull, grey overcast and rainy weather, we're getting a special treat for the Mother's day weekend. Today is clear, sunny and already 68F at 10:15. It's supposed to hit about 77F by late afternoon (our high usually occurs around 17:00). The weather forecast is for 88F tomorrow.

It will probably return to our normal weather later in the week. Where we are, close to the south-west corner of Anacortes, we're across the street from homes on the waterfront of a salt-water marina. There's a fairly big bay outside the marina entrance and a decent beach about 3/4 of a mile from our house. One drawback is that the water in the bay is mainly run-off from the glaciers in the mountains to the east and, even in the height of summer, the water temperature only gets to around 60F. The other is that the beach sand is pale grey and gritty, as it starts out as volcano melt.

It's still a great place to live - small town, about 20,000 people. One manufacturing industry (ship building and repair), the rest being touristy (hotels, pleasure boat marinas, retail). We also have a lot of undeveloped land - mainly woodland that folks can walk through.
Here on Crete Frank we are having the usual hot sunny Greek weather and we love it...

djh
12-May-2018, 07:51 PM
Here in lancs we had Crete weather last weekend, the whole of Wigan was in the park celabrating Wigan Athletic winning promotion. But the weather went down hill for the rest of the week, today it starts to pick up again.

frank h.
14-May-2018, 03:22 PM
Great weather today. 16c according to the car temp. Went over Ribchester on Sunday, the weather was superb, only met 5 or 6 people doing the same. I had my dog with me so we were at least I was a bit edgy walking through a field of cows. Fortunately they were sat down in the sunshine and didn't bother us. Beautiful views of the Ribble and green Lancashire country-side. 7.6km according to the iphone and 11,000 steps so enjoyed the apple crumble with creme freche when I got home without feeling guilty. Some good derby games next season Frank, Blackburn Bolton Wigan for starters and some clubs with massive away support to come, Leeds, the Sheffield clubs, Villa possibly West Brom and Stoke fans singing Delilah. Looking good.
22-May-2018, 08:10 PM
Our early summer had returned - a bit misty this morning, but temperatures around 78F are forecast later in the day.

I don't know how much publicity the UK media are giving the eruption of Mount Kilauea, in Hawaii. Just in case it's not very much, here's a link to today's Seattle Times' story. The "Big Island" is a favorite of ours, though we haven't been for a while. They are having a very hard time of it with this monster.

https://www.seattlepi.com/nation/article...930857.php

Frank
23-May-2018, 08:33 AM
we're getting masses of coverage of the volcano Frank. always think of Hawai as a tropical paradise but rapidly changing my opinion. It's scary what's happening down below, fortunately it's a long time any volcanos showed up in these parts. The summer weather continues here too and in this small island surrounded by water hints are already being given out about water shortage. the south east is forecast some thundery weather in a day or so then we are all back up to summer. 23-25c forecast here in the north west that's well 25 is 77 in old money?