Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Residents Of Leverhouse Lane
Trying to locate some acquaintances from my old neighbourhood. I lived at 84 Leverhouse Lane from about 1971 to 1981 when my family moved to Canada. I would love to get in touch with some of the folks that lived there. My next door neighbour was Paul Robinson and we used to hang out together along with his older sister Carol (his mom & dad : Emily & Arnold). Further down the street was Keven & Stephen Ward (mom was Shirley}. Next door to the power box lived Susan, Vanda & Jon Nettleon (mom & dad: Jackie & Ian). Just off of Leverhouse Lane (sorry, can't remember the name of the street) was the Wright Family, inparticular Shanie Wright, who had a brother Martin and sister Wendy who was a hairdresser. Any info would be appreciated.
Hi Debra
I used to live on St Davids Rd, just off Lever House, from about 1979 until the mid 90's. Some of the names you mentioned do sound familiar to me. I think my cousin still lives on Lever house, I can make sone enquiries if you want.
Martin ~
Hi Martin,
My friends parents lived on St.David's Road at number 43 (Graham & Judy Walker) but they moved several years ago.That would be so nice if you could ask around. I really appreciate your help. Thanks!
It seems strange reading aboutpeople living on Lever House Lane. I still remember it from my St. Ambrose Choir boy days when there was a ginnel at the top of East St. Farington going down to School St. First house you came to was Silcocks Farm. then there was Lever House itself where Miss Soogle used to live, a dear old lady always dressed in black who was so poor she used to have to look for coal spilled by the coalmen down East St "backs." opposite Lever House was a relatively new house detached where Marion lived, that's all I ever knew her as, she had some sort of mental disorder and being the cruel kids we were we called her Mad Marion . Then opposite that there was a wooden bungalow lived in by the Bush family. I went to school with Marylin Bush . Then there was just a dirt track down to Moss Lane with the scout hut on the left as you reached Moss Lane. I remember the first 4 semi houses being built facing the church and getting into trouble with a copper who found me rooting in the partially built houses.
I remember Lever House and the old wooden bungalow.I lived in Cross street.I used to go fishing in the two ponds that were next to each other near the old track that came out on to Lydiate Lane.I used to 'Scrump' apples from the Convent off Moss lane and was often chased by the Nuns.Years later when I was a paperboy and delivered to the Convent I always felt a twinge of guilt(and worried I maybe recognised !!)I remember Mad Marion,used to scare us quite a bit.I remember the motorway being built and the Leverhouse estate.As regards St Ambrose I recall Cannon Bates,and his wonderful Nettle Beer.I loved going in the old vicarge and the aroma of his old pipe tobacco is forever embedded in my childhood memories.He was always open to visitors especially us kids.I still don't understand why they knocked the house down and built that awful dormer bungalow !
Penny
first time

I am the new girl in town - never done this before, but I am so fascinated by your chat, that I have girded up my loins and decided to join the 21st century and try to join in.
I have been reading all your comments so mine are quite disjointed subjects but here goes.
Reading Noels comments on the new building in the area brought memories back of going to the Gas Works to collect a sack of coke to help out with the coal ration during the war, also I used to ride down,a very lonely Hall Lane on my bike going home from Balshaws to Tardy Gate. The discussion on Lever House Lane promoted my husbands memories, he too rememberd Miss Soogle and he also remembers riding a horse bareback in the fields behind East Street and School Street. My parents moved into a new bungalow on Lever House Lane, but they did not like living there and followed us when we moved from Lancaster Lane to Highfield Avenue in the new houses that Hemmings and Kent built.I could go on and on, the memories come thick and fast when you start don't they?
Hello Penny and thank you for sharing your memories here. I'm sure you could write pages from what you've just said.
Martin ~
Hello, Penny! Welcome to the forum! I hope we'll see you around these pages frequently now you've found us!
I used to live in St Davids road until I married in 1979 when we moved to Crown Street. I only have memories of the area when the estate was built. Our garden backed on to St Cath's playing fields and the convent. My brother-in-law has recently moved onto St Margarets Road so I am reaquanting myself with the area. Farnum1, I don't know any of the names you mentioned, but have you managed to track anyone down yet? Vanessa
Hi Andy and welcome.
Lydiate Lane was mentioned and I wonder if anyone can tell me where Lydiate HEAD was.
My mother was born there in 1912 Number 458.It is described as Cuerden Bamber Bridge but I would like to know if it was connected to the Leyland Lydiate Lane.Her name was Swarbrick.
Happy New Year everyone.[8D]