Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Residents Of Leverhouse Lane
Hi Debra and Penny.Lovely to hear from you both.
Cheers
Linda
Lady G, Lidiate Head was on the junction of Lidiate Lane and the A49 Wigan to Preston road. You turned left off the A49 to go down Lidiate Lane to join the Leyland to Preston road just north of Bashalls Woods. There used to be a Leyland Clock on the A49 just past the junction yonks ago. Ted Gore who used to work in Leyland Tool Room lived at the Head and used to bike to work 1930/40`s Any use to you? Preparing to post on "Memories" forum, glad you got the piccy. Take Care, William R.
Hello. I am new to the forum. We used to live in St. Annes Road, off Lever House Lane during 1966-1982. We are the Mahawattes. Prema, Daphne, Priya and Manique. We moved to Sri Lanka. I'll get back to the forum some other time and share more about living in Leyland.

Manique Wilson (Mahawatte)
Squeeze the Day
Welcome Manique, hope you can pop in more often. Sri Lanka must be a beautiful place to live in .
Going back to Andy's earlier comments re. Mad Marion, she was an unstable lady who spent a number of sessions in Whittingham Hospital. I believe she was related to Mrs. Soogle who lived at Lever House back in the fifties. My mother befriended her and she spent several weekends at our house "on leave" from Whittingham. That was the kind of person my dear mother was, she would take anybody in who was down and out. I think in the end though she even gave up on Marion whose language and mental stability be.came out of control. Marion lived, I think in the detached house opposite the wooden bungalow that was Bush's. I remember Marylin Bush living there with her parents. She was maybe a year younger than me. Back to my mum, she also took in polish immigrants back in the early fifties and they lived with us for quite a while in the converted front room. It seemed natural at the time. But now I think, how odd.
Hello, Manique - hope to see you here often!

Noel, what a kind soul your mother was!
I agree Noel, your Mother was a very kind understanding lady, most people were a little afraid of Marion, Miss Suggel was Marion`s Aunt and they lived at the big house next door to Marilyn Bush, Marion owned the green bungalow and the large house opposite which later the Lawtons rented from Marion, I used to play with Marilyn and was often up at the bungulow, very often Marion would come to the fence and start cursing at Molly Bush, but Molly was`nt scared of her and always put her in her place, lol, I remember when I was about 11 years old going with some older girls to scrum apples out of Marions orchard, I was the smallest so I went up the tree and was throwing apples down for the other girls, Marion came out carrying what looked like a shot gun to us, the other girls ran off, I remember clearly looking down at Marion and her looking up and suddenly bursting out laughing, then she helped me down and one of the other girls who had been watching from behind a bush came back, Marion asked us to go inside her house were she showed us some lovely old fashioned clothes, the house must have been beautiful in earlier days, we were in a large reception hall with a large open staircase, I was in awe as I watched Miss Suggel come down that staircase looking like Queen Victoria, that was how she dressed all in black, on a sad note I also remember Miss Suggel picking through the bins outside the Coop on Derby street for food, Marion always wore riding gear and carried a whip.
Just an after thought ? this is probably for Karen and Noel, do you remember Billy Milton who lived down Bow Lane in the cottages next to the brook, he was scary to !!! always trying to scare the kids, I used to take shoes to be mended by a man who had a cabin in a street off Bow lane cant remember his name ? and hated going past Billy`s cottage.[Smile]
How good to hear about Mad Marian , I thought she was Miss Soogle's ( Suggle?)'s niece . I don't think she would have harmed a fly would she. As for Billy Milton, I remember the house well because it was by the brook where the initiation ceremony for the choir boys took place ( don't ask!!) But he never came out to chase us away.
[Big Grin][Big Grin]Billy probably thought he`d end up in the brook to Noel and kept out of the way. LOL[Big Grin][Big Grin]
Sandy and Noel#1,

I remember Billy Milton ... do you remember Miley Wildgoose .. he had a smallholding a little further up Bow Lane ...he had a huge flock of Geese ..they used to escape and wander into our garden, they scared me even more than Billy.
We called 'em '.... Miley Wildgoose's Geeses'!!!!
The family who lived in Bowbrook House .. next door to us(previously Miss Williams and her sister Mrs Jackson's and later Ron and Doris Taylor's house) were called Cis and Ces Poole!!! ... honest.

The cows from Hough's Farm used to congregate in our yard too at times ... it was a great excuse for being late for school.

Can either of you remember the bakery at the end of Clarence St. ... next to Fir Tree Farm(before it became part of the Lever House Lane developement?) I used to poke my finger into the loaf on the way home and eat the bread from inside the crust!
Their Hot Cross buns were almost as good as Harry Dwyers ....
That man loved his job ... he used to whistle tunelessly inbetween looking up and saying "Yes love?" and tenderly wrapping and patting the cold cuts!!

Ciao Karen.
T. D.