Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Residents Of Leverhouse Lane
Sorry Karen Ican't remember that. I've remembered marian's surname, Almond I believe, I can't remember Fir Tree Farm. Silcok's and Miller's farms . Ces Poole, what a hoot.
I know a Jimmy Wildgoose who lives in Leyland, wonder if he's related to Miley???
I remember the bakery Karen the house next door to us went with the bakery, I mainly remember Mr and Mrs Brooks having it they had a son Alan, and Mr Brooks brother had a paint shop on Chapel Brow, I think I remember the Wildgooses did they live on the other side of the brook near the bend at the bottom of Bow lane? had to laugh about the cows in your back garden, we had a passage beside the house and Henry Slcocks cart horse once got free and went up our passage and was stuck there for ages until they managed to get it to back up..lol also there was a very large sow that was penned up just past the top of East St ginnel, that got free one day and came charging down Clarence st.
I do recall the lady living on the farm at the top of Clarence st my mother and sister were friends with her, then when she left the farm it went derelict, Noel would remember the farm, Clarence st was on one side and the boy scout hut on the other. Best wishes Sandieh.

[Image: cow_mooing_md_wht.gif]
Sandieh, I just LOVE the laughing cow ... thanks.. it made my day.

Maurice Brooks and his beautiful wife Hilda (she was once the Leyland Festival Queen)... ran the paint shop, my parents knew them well.
They were a lovely couple ... she always called him 'Maurice love'.

The lady who lived in Fir Tree Farm was called Theresa ... I can't remember her last name. She was my father's second cousin .. I think. Her mother lived there as well, when I was a child.

Yes The Wildgooses did live on the other side of Bow Brook just past the row of houses that faced on to the road .. Milton's row(before them) ran parallel to the brook.

I spent a lot of my childhood playing at St. Ambrose Vicarage with Ruthie Townson .. we had a wonderful time there.
We had the run of the cellars and better still, the attics where all the stuff that was left over from the jumble sales was stored ... we had THE best collection of dressing up clothes in the county!!!

The Reverend Townson grew his own tobacco in the fenced garden at the side of the big lawn, he dried it in the solarium which was upstairs at the back of the house. The bathroom was right at the back of the house and could only be visited by going through the solarium.... we had to be very careful when going by the dried tobacco so that we didn't damage it.
Rosalind Sendall .. the Minister's daughter from 'The Manse' in Bow Lane was one of our gang too .. very ecumenical lot we were!!

The down side of it was that we had to be "Handkerchief Girls' at all the local garden parties .. this entailed having to mingle with all the guests wearing dozens of hankies pinned on to our dresses, we had to sell the hankies to the ladies ... can you imagine this generation of kids doing that!!!!!

As a choirboy, you would have been exempt Noel!!

Did either of you ever go up to the top of the church steeple?
We used to nag the verger until he gave in and took us up there ..
what a wonderful view .. I used to think that I was on top of the world.

Ciao Karen.
T. D.
I went once Karen. It was eery. Mr. Nixon the verger took me up there, t'was like being on the top of world looking down at creation. The farm I only remember as being derelect. I presume this is the land facing the church gates where the 4 semis were built in the fifties?? I was scouting around when they were building them one night and a bobby took my name in case anything had been pinched. The same bobby also cautioned me for riding 2 on a bike on Moss Lane. Imagine that happening now.
Yes Karen, Mr Nixon took a friend and myself to the top of the steeple and he even told us to scratch our initials on the top.[Smile]
[Big Grin] ...[Wink] ... just testing!!

Now that I have mastered the happy face thing .. I'll work on how to do something like your cow Sandieh.
T. D.
Hello again. I used to go to Lever House School and later went to Farrington Primary. Many of you may have gone ballroom dancing with Vic Fairhurst at St Ambrose Church which is at the bottom of Leverhouse Lane. As for living in St. Annes Roads, there were many character but I don't remember a Marion. The only Molly I knew was Molly Moss and also Molly Woodburn.
Does this have any connection?
Bye for now.
Squeeze the Day
Hi Manique, I went to the old time dancing classes with Vic Fairhurst, think it was on Saturday mornings, (about 1953) St Annes rd was`nt there at the time we are talking of Lever House lane, the Molly I mentioned was my friend Marilyn`s mum a very nice lady who lived in the green bungulow on lever house lane.

Hi Karen glad you liked the cow [Big Grin]
I remember mad Marion, I didn't know if she lived in the bungalow or a big detached house next door to it, both houses were empty at the time, we used to go home from church that way & people always kept saying it was haunted, which of course was a big magnet for kids.
I went up the church tower a few times, with Canon Bateson, he used to let us in the vicarage & give us nettle beer which he brewed himself.
Eileen
Hi Karen, I remember Mr Townson, I heard that his wifes brother was Percy Edwards he used to do bird call imitations on the radio.
I`m pretty sure the lady at the farm (top of Clarence st) was Mrs Metcalf, does that ring a bell? Sandie.