Originally posted by Martin

I think my sense of humour is lost on this forum [:o)]

I've lost mine too .
[:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)]
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
21-Jan-2005, 03:43 PM

Not lost on me, Martin!
Here's a heartening tale. A friend of mine, against all her principles, let her daughter go to a kids birthday do at MacDo's. She went to collect her after, and, on the way out, said child threw up on the floor!! Was her mother proud!!

http://artistsmock.blogspot.com/
http://www.artistsmock.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-Feb-2009, 10:24 PM

Hi all
Yes I worked at leyland paints for 13 years,right up until it was moved to leeds,it was the best job I have had so far,the people where great there, loads of comradeship we looked after each other.
I am surprised more people have not written to this site considering the amount of people who have worked at Leyland Paints over the years.My job was blending the colour of paint by eye ..fantastic.......The disapointing thing to me was the estate which is now built where the northgate factory was, could have had the streets name after say colours are some thing like that to remember the lost industry,they did it with Leyland Motors,does anybody remember the teeshirts and caps you could get I think in the early 80s,and what the logo said on the them..Come on you ex Leyland painters lets here from you..

SB
23-Feb-2009, 08:28 AM

Welcome Stephen. Did you work with Terry Grayston?
26-Feb-2009, 08:35 PM

Yes Noel I certainly did work at Leyland paints when Terry Grayston was there,how is Terry

SB
08-Jun-2012, 04:25 PM

I remember my Dad working at the paints until the place closed down. He did Brook Mill occasionally but he was a warehouse chap and spent most of his time at Northgate iirc he got offered a job with Kalon to wherever it moved too, Yorks somewhere from memory. He still says it was the best job he ever had. I remember payday he used to get us sweets from the shop nearby. My dad btw is William (bill, billy) Darwen. His mum and dad owned the first shop on Royal Avenue, His dad Jack and mum Edna. My dad is still about, still living in Shevington and in all honesty not changed one bit in my eyes. I must mention some of these names to him.
08-Jun-2012, 07:26 PM

Budgie - I remember my Dad having many of these shirts/caps - something like "Leyland Painters do it in every room in the house" am i right? My mum still has a few unworn ones, in fact she just sent me a pic of one, still pack fresh, yep im right.
18-Oct-2012, 09:25 PM

STU darwen---You are spot on I thought those T -shirts where brill.....

SB
19-Oct-2012, 09:22 PM

I remember doing a job for Tomlinsons in the lab at Northgate and one of the lab boys told us he was working on producing striped paint, we thought he was taking the mick but when he dipped a brush in the tin and then onto a board the paint whent on stripy. This was the fore runner to the spray paint with the coloured spots you used to get in toilets.
My wife Bernadette used to work in the acounts dept at Swansey mill and was the secretary of the social club in the early 70s, in 1974 she and I was invited to the telivising of Miss United Kingdom in Blackpool and a meal after in evening dress had to hire a suit from Moss Bros. We met the judges, Alivin Stardust,Jack Headley,Rita Tushingham and compere David Vine.

frank h.
19-Oct-2012, 09:36 PM

Striped paint, and you're not kidding. Terry Grayston's the only lad I knew from the lab.