Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland Paints
20-Oct-2012, 09:09 PM

Not kidding Noel! the paint was a mix of emulsion and oil paint the two dont mix. The spotted effect came about by the spraying method.

frank h.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
21-Oct-2012, 02:17 PM

@pne09 asks "what year was the Leyland Paint factory fire, remember watching it from my bed room next to the ambulance station?

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-Oct-2012, 03:02 PM

quote:

Originally posted by noel

Striped paint, and you're not kidding. Terry Grayston's the only lad I knew from the lab.

SB
21-Oct-2012, 05:39 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Martin

@pne09 asks "what year was the Leyland Paint factory fire, remember watching it from my bed room next to the ambulance station?

Late sixties/early seventies was Rocketman's estimate in an earlier thread about Brook Mill, any more offers?
22-Oct-2012, 04:34 PM

I don't remember the Paint Works fire, so it must've been after 1965, when we moved to Kenilworth or maybe after '68 when we came to the US.

I do remember a fire at the L&B when the big steam engine behind the glass wall on Golden Hill went into over-speed and the flywheel separated. It smashed though the wall and finished up on the LMSAC fields, if memory serves.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
22-Oct-2012, 05:13 PM

I heard about the L&B fire Frank but only after I started there in '88. I'm surprised I didn't hear about it at the time. I'm still not sure when it happened. The department there ifI remember correctly was spreading department.
One thing I do remember about L&B where notices on some of the doors "danger, asbestos do not enter". The doors were unlocked and it was regarded as a route through the department to the lab. Hope it wasn't true!!
17-Feb-2013, 10:33 PM

where are all the people who worked at leyland paints

SB
17-Feb-2013, 10:37 PM

quote:

Originally posted by noel

quote:

Originally posted by Martin

Late sixties/early seventies was Rocketman's estimate in an earlier thread about Brook Mill, any more offers?

SB
17-Feb-2013, 10:39 PM

There was a fire in the varnish house when I worked at Leyland Paints would have been around the mid eightes I guess

SB
27-Mar-2014, 10:54 PM
RE: Leyland Paints
(20-Mar-2003 11:06 AM)noel Wrote:  My father worked there until the mid seventies.

Noel. I worked there from 1971 to 1979. I ended up mixing colours on the platform. Did your father play on the football team?