Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FA cup final
22-May-2007, 12:22 PM
FA cup final
Was that the most boring FA cup final ever played by the most expensive overpayed players ever seen on an English football field ?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
22-May-2007, 06:23 PM

It probably was Mick, though there have been many more boring played by less well paid players.
23-May-2007, 01:56 AM

Agreed Noel - At least its the cricket season now, they used to say cricket was boring, but its always been more interesting to me at least.
23-May-2007, 08:49 AM

Absolutely Mick. The local side Leyland merged with Leyland Motors cricket during close season so I'm hoping they will fare a bit better than in previous years.
Lancashire, well I think the weather did them last season otherwise they'd have been league champions for the first time.
And the national team, well let's hope the new coach is a big improvement on the previous one. The Ashes quite frankly was men against boys.
What's local cricket like over in Australia Mick?
23-May-2007, 12:28 PM

Well Noel its very advanced compared to what one finds in England. Almost every suburb has good facilities especially for kids and teenagers cricket. There are organised games of formal cricket every saturday morning in most suburbs for both kids and teens. And its goodm to see even kids as young as seven being coached in batting and bowling and then playing short games of 20 overs or so, all the time dressed in whites and using proper bats and stumps, and runni9ng from both ends as in an adults game.
Not like it was when I played cricket down Leadale rd and on St Johns Green in the 50's with the stumps chalked on a garage wall. I guess thats why Australian cricketers are a level ahead of the rest, they start young and are coached early so they make less mistakes. My local sports green has its own high level floodlights for night training of all sports, and its just an ordinary suburb, like lots of others that have good facilities. I don't suppose such a facility exists anywhere in Leyland with its floodlights and open to anyone for anything till 11pm.
I often see full team kids sports games and as I write this there is a game of Aussie rules for teenagers taking place after school fully supervised by adults with umpires and linesmen all under lights and at no cost to the students or their parents. I think its this kind of activity and participation that makes all the difference in producing future sports champions, and helps youngsters to do something other than hanging around shopping centres after school and getting in trouble.
23-May-2007, 03:06 PM

That's how I learned cricket too Mick, though fortunately in those days the local junior school taught cricket thanks to Mr "Pop" Sefton who I am told is still around now in his eighties. Balshaws also included cricket in their games tally, now I'm not sure what happens. I know none of my 3 sons played cricket at school, well they did a form of cricket called "soft ball cricket" played indoors in the gym. Hardly the stuff to create test match players though.

There's an article here on the state and failings of english cricket

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/...398835.stm
24-May-2007, 04:51 AM

Thanks Noel it was an interesting article and summarises what is going wrong with cricket and other sports in England. It does start at school and can only be as good as the teachers and facilities available. If schools are selling off their playing fields for housing developments then it is to be expected that sports will decline even further in time.
I used to wonder when I was at Worden school why we played as much baseball or should I say softball as we did cricket in summer, where was the logic in that, it wasn't as though there was a league of softball or that it was televised - it was just an easy solution to a sports lesson, that any incompetant teacher could organise, unlike a game of cricket which took some knowledge and aptitude.
The dumbing down of school sport has been going on for a long time and it shows when England play against other countries where sport has not been dumbed down, such as cricket against Australia, or football against almost any other country, unless our club sides are not full of foreign players they can't win anything either.
24-May-2007, 09:16 PM

The school my sons went to in Wiltshire actually abolished sports because they didn't want anyone to feel they were second best, or a loser. I ask you!! All the kids were losers as a result.
25-May-2007, 03:57 AM

I wonder why they didn't abolish mathamatics as some kids are no good at that, I know I was one of them. I wonder what is the long term affect of no sports education on obesity and kids general health.