Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shopping centre sold for £47.5m
30-Sep-2003, 05:33 AM

Thanks, Alan, I had forgotten the name of the place. It definitely did close, but it was such a flea pit that maybe it closed for renovations and opened later. The Gaumont was called the New Victoria in my day if we are referring to the same place opposite Miller's Arcade? I recall there was a white organ that rose from the pit during intermission and the guy played for several minutes. I saw Derek Bond in a personal appearance in the place. I was taken to pantomimes at the Hippodrome and recall seeing "Two Ton" Tessie O'Shea among others. I even recall a joke that amused me at the time when the question os parliament came up and one of the characters defined it as a "place where there's much parley, but very little meant".
The Ritz I recall very well but I have forgotten the name of a cinema almost opposite that used to show B movies and lots of horror films. I recall going one Sunday evening and seeing a movie with Boris Karloff that opened with a storm, thunder and lightning flashing as the camera panned an ancient grimly foreboding house, which immediately sent the audience into paroxysms of laughter, ostensibly because it was so trite!

BillR
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
30-Sep-2003, 04:38 PM

Bill R. yes , the New Vic. was renamed the Gaumont, and I think even late it became the Odeon,opposite was that fine structure the Miller Arcade, and (smelly underground loos too) !
Corner of Glovers court and Fishergate was Booths grocers,( with a springy wooden floor).During the war there was a barricade between Booths and the New Vic. and an air raid shelter too,the former to impede tanks I assume, should the enemy invade ! opposite was the Town Hall, which was a beautiful building, it was caught fire and rather than repair the damage the clowns knocked it down and replaced it with a concrete box!
I always remember the Gaumont at Christmas, as Mr Woods (the headmaster at Preston Tech.) took us there to the white victorian tearoom,for afternoon tea and scones after attending the first performance of the then new Charles Dickens film, Christas Carol, starring Alistair Simm !( many attempts to update, but none compare to this film !). Yes that organ was superb ! Opposite the Ritz was the Palladium.
The Theatre royal 'Gods',was the place to be !!!
Alan M
30-Sep-2003, 10:21 PM

Bitter Rice with Sylvana Mangano, Lady G whispers Birth of a Baby and Clochemerle as features of her early visits. Only going to the Palace to see the pantomime? What about Bill Dane and his exotic dancers, Jane of the Daily Mirror of course, and the lady in the black dress playing the piano in the Empire for the silent filme - Gee I feel old! Remember Pat Devine at the Palace in the post war elections who was the Communist Candidate, and the cascade of ten shilling notes coming down from the gallery into the collectin buckets, Yes I do feel old now.!!!! William R.
30-Sep-2003, 10:59 PM

The New Victoria was a haven for me in the cold winter days while wagging school-continuous performances and the wonderful music as the organ rose from the Pit.
Miller Arcade Toilets! Quite right -smelly at times ,where I was always told not to linger!!!!!
Now they are concreted in but the ironwork still remains and greenery covers the old entrances.
That end of Preston -the Miller Arcade end- seemed to me on my last visit to be rather neglected and dead ,with most shoppers nearer the Railway end of Fishergate.However the Arcade itself still retains its original architectural glory.
I remember the Hippodrome and 'daring 'performances such as 'Streetcar Named Desire' Daring for the times anyway.
LG
01-Oct-2003, 03:22 AM

Alan, I could'nt agree more, 'A Christmas Carol' starring Alistair Simm is the best one of the lot. It's been remade many times but they all pale in comparison, Eve and I watch it every Christmas Eve while we eat warm turkey butties, such a nice way to spend the evening.
John
01-Oct-2003, 06:23 AM

John, I hope that you watch the black and white version , they've screwed it up on television by adding a poor quality colour ! I purchased the VHS., to avoid the adverts.(same with African Queen and Edward G's Key Largo )!
Lady G, I was always told not to linger and to hold my breath !
Sorry William R, I 've heard of Pat Devine, but not seen.
Harold Wilson and Antony Greenwood I remember seeing at the Public Hall, Harold could certaily deal well with the hecklers ,of course he was well to the left before becoming PM!
Alan M
01-Oct-2003, 11:56 PM

I am sitting here, shocked at the idea of Lady G wagging school!!
I concur with the Alastair Simm version of "A Christmas Carol" being the best. He was also a delight as the headmistress in the St Trinian's films. And was it Alastair who played all the relatives in "Kind Hearts and Coronets"?
03-Oct-2003, 10:39 AM

I recall being at the last performance at the ABC. It was a Saturday night and `Rock around the Clock` was showing. We didn`t see much of the film as everyone was either dancing or pulling seats out. Nobody seemed to care as the place was being demolished the following week!

Jim
04-Oct-2003, 02:22 AM

Was the ABC the one not far from Preston station? Near the Theatre pub. I remember going to Saturday matinee at Leyland when i was quite young I think it was called the Palace, then it turned into a bingo hall.
Eileen
04-Oct-2003, 06:44 PM

Bill, Your post brought back memories of an old school yard joke (no doubt remembered by the more ancient members of this forum). Have you seen Sab? `Sab who` you`d say. `Yes, that`s the one`, came the reply. P.S. I didn`t think my memory went back that far ROFL

Jim