Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leyland Regeneration Discussion
I would like to see what people think of the plans to regenerate Leyland.
Martin ~
Martin, I can see loads of possibilities with this plan - unfortunately, I`ll be pushing up the daisies long before it gets to the drawing board.[Tongue][Tongue]
Jim
What makes you think that it will take so long Jim?
Martin ~
Strange you should say that Martin. I have only just read in tonights Evening Post that Preston`s redevelopment has today been pushed back a further year.
I have a better chance of getting a telegram from the Queen - than seeing Leylands new town square.
Jim
How typical- having insensitively torn the heart out of the old centre of town and grafted on Tesco's and its hideous surroundings they're now looking to provide a more attractive option !! they could have left Towngate and the Cross and developed behind the streets without destroying the charming old village area and the ancient road system... eg as in Honiton, Devon. And put the supermarket on the old ROF site. It makes me so angry... I could never go back and live in a place with so little regard for its heritage or its people.
This new proposal could be ok. I suspect it will just be boring though, making leyland look very similar to thousands of other places - just as the victorians did before! It promises to make more space in the centre though, and to be planned to allow easier access via public transport.

I think its been a long, long time since leyland had a "charming old village area and the ancient road system"...

Yep - Leyland International Airport Terminal Building is a bit hideous!
Mick
some of the road system round the cross which had existed for hundreds of years was covered over by Tesco's car park.
The properties which bordered it were certainly there till the 70s, some were lovely cottage-shops with steps going down to them.
I agree about the airport! (I'm not some reactionary old fogey, I just think that town councils could be much more aware of the architectural merits of existing structures and not necessarily think that the New is preferable to the old).
And let's not forget about the financial possibilities of prime building land which might outweigh the conservation aspects ....
We get what we deserve, I`m afraid. Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with what Caroline has said, I must put my hand on my heart and say that I`d much rather go into Tesco/Morrisons etc. and buy everything I need in an hour, as opposed to spending all day doing the same thing, as in my youth, when I used to (much against my will) accompany my mother and have to stand in a que at every shop.
Before any of you ladies question my comment about doing the supermarket shop in an hour, let me assure you that it`s quite possible. On the occasions when I accompany Marjorie, it takes just under an hour - that`s to get to the end of the first fruit and veg, isle!!!!!! (I never knew that each potatoe and orange were different to each other).
Jim
Let's hope you don't get a Walmart !
We already have Walmart in the guise of Asda