Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wellington House
18-Sep-2007, 01:05 AM

William
I worked with several of the Premiums and I must say I found most of them decent blokes but some of them were not,I recall one who was a Persian and he was terrible to work with.

R.White
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
15-Nov-2007, 01:04 PM

Re Wellington House and Stokes Hall:-

An old friend of mine, Peter Eagle, was a premium there not long after the war. One of his fellow premiums was the son of Bill Lyons, the founder of Jaguar (once a Blackpool firm). He (young Mr Lyons) went over to France in his sports car, apparently forgot which side of the road he was supposed to drive on and was killed in a head-on crash. It might be interesting to speculate what would have become of Jaguar had he lived and taken over from Bill.

Stokes Hall was opened in the 1960s by Prime Minister Harold Wilson. My cousin John and I nicked off school (Balshaws) for the afternoon to see the PM, and were somewhat put out when one of the first people to leave the reception was our headmaster, Fred Bleasdale. He never told us off, though.
CD

CD
15-Nov-2007, 06:48 PM

How strange is this, I was just looking at Wellinton Park as a place to stay when I visit leyland next year, its good to hear some of its history. Plus my father Maurice Leigh worked with the Apprentice group in the 1970,s then there were students from very well to do families, coming also from asfar away as S Afica. I also met a few of them when they made a special chair/wheel chair for a young lady who was handicaped, i remember driving with my father to meet the family and measure her up for the chair. The apprentices had a sponsered drive in a kit car they made and the drove around a test track in Bristol, I also went to help and watch the 24 hour drive, as i remember they managed to collect a fair bit of money.
Julie

[julie]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-Nov-2007, 07:50 AM

Colin is peters wife Eileen OK that you know of? I remember them both from the St Ambrose Players when we used to do Gilbert and Sullivan Eileen was a Mezzo soprano if I remember correctly.
21-Feb-2008, 10:51 AM

Only just noticed your post of November, Shuffy. Eileen Eagle was very much involved in St Ambrose Players (as were we) and also directed the Methodist Church Choir. She died of cancer years ago - about 1980 I think. Peter remarried - to a woman called Pat, and they are both in their 70s, I think. They came to my Dad's funeral in 2001.

CD
29-Feb-2008, 11:39 AM

Caroline. That "meadow" was a field which backed onto my grandmother's house in Crawford Avenue. I was taken there (the house) to watch the coronation on TV, but being a bored three-year-old went out into the garden only to return just as the archbishop was lowering the crown onto the queen's head and shouted triumphantly "Cows are out!".

Ironically, I discovered many years later that the field was rented by Jimmy Lord, the butcher at the top of Fox Lane, to put his bullocks in to await slaughter!

Colin Damp

CD
29-Mar-2008, 01:20 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Colin Damp

Only just noticed your post of November, Shuffy. Eileen Eagle was very much involved in St Ambrose Players (as were we) and also directed the Methodist Church Choir. She died of cancer years ago - about 1980 I think. Peter remarried - to a woman called Pat, and they are both in their 70s, I think. They came to my Dad's funeral in 2001.

Again as a new member browsing through, I remember Mrs Eagle as my english teacher at Wellfield in the 70's. They lived middle of Balcarres road in the big semis before the shop on the corner opposite the bottow of Broadway.

jells
05-May-2008, 11:37 AM

Yes, Eileen was an English teacher at Wellfield with Leo Hall. Eileen, Peter, Brian(?) Gates and I had a little singing group in the 70s accompanied on the piano by Leo. We did Masonic ladies' evenings, civic balls and the like. Good fun!
CD

CD
24-Feb-2016, 01:45 PM
RE: Wellington House
As previous messages have indicated, the original Wellington House was demolished many years ago and a new one built in its place as a private dwelling. It was orignally owned by Leyland Motors. Stokes Hall was then built in the grounds next to it (I worked there for a few years) and that too was demolished.

As for Laurence Doyle, I saw him in Preston about a year ago. I believe that he lives in the Preston area and recall seeing him driving a Triumph Stag a few years ago.
26-Feb-2016, 06:07 PM
RE: Wellington House
Having read the memories of the "premiums" who resided in Wellington House, and particularly some of the antics they got up to reminds me of some of the episodes of the similar group when they resided in Stokes Hall. By then, they were simply known as university recruits and were selected to work at Leyland during what was known as the "Milk Round" when the company would visit universites in search of good undergraduates. They would then sponsor them through their university life and see them during the long summer's break.

On qualifying they'd live at Stokes Hall for a couple of years and were housed generally in the downstairs wing nearest to the present Wellington House. There were 25 study/bedrooms (Stokes Hall had 100 bedrooms) available but one had been converted to a photo darkroom. As the students tended to be rather irresponsible - occasionally letting off the fire hose and flooding the corridor - that wing wasn't kept in the best of decorative order.

I remember going into Stokes Hall one morning and seeing the warden in a bit of a flutter. The dining room was devoid of all furniture! Where was it? It was on the roof of the student's garage block, (just behind Stokes Hall) all laid out with plates and cutlery! I believe also that a Mini car body was also somehow brought into Stokes Hall and taken all the way to the end of a corridor. I didn't see it though.