Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rugby Union
21-Oct-2007, 01:21 PM

It`s difficult to see how he disallowed the try. The video replays appeared to show a perfectly good score.
Apart from that, the better team won on the night IMO. NO team can afford to give points away to SA.

Jim
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
21-Oct-2007, 02:12 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Spitfire

It`s difficult to see how he disallowed the try. The video replays appeared to show a perfectly good score.
Apart from that, the better team won on the night IMO. NO team can afford to give points away to SA.

Just seen a VERY slowmotion replay of the try. Unfortunatly his foot does go into touch just before the ball is grounded. England were good against SA, but being good is not enough. You need to be great. Silly mistakes made. At least it wasn't 36-0 this time!
Quote this message in a reply
21-Oct-2007, 05:27 PM

Well at least I watched a winning team today, Bolton under 15s against Fleetwood. My grandson plays for Bolton, the final score was 23 - 7
21-Oct-2007, 07:07 PM

Well done, Dedrah's grandson!
21-Oct-2007, 10:08 PM

I hope that was rugby and not soccer Dedra! Thinking back to my own teens - it could have been either.[Wink]

Jim
22-Oct-2007, 12:15 AM

I think that the English team should be proud of their achievements at the world cup. It was only a few weeks ago that they were written off as having no chance in this tournament and yet they did better than New Zealand, Australia, France and all the others who fell before the final. Let's hope they can do better next time.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-Oct-2007, 08:08 AM

Yes Jim it was rugby[Big Grin]
23-Oct-2007, 09:55 AM

The try was disputed but afterwards it was generally agreed that the decision not to award it was correct-but what a dignified way the English players accepted that -can't see the same level of let's move on and not blame the ref etc happening in the beautiful game.
I enjoyed it all.
Well done England but I think South Africa were too strong and would still have won.
25-Oct-2007, 07:18 PM

Erm; Who won the game then ? I can't get into Rugby Union, just seems like a lot of goalkeepers kicking the ball upfield. Why don't they throw the ball around like the League players ??
Quote this message in a reply
25-Oct-2007, 07:35 PM

League is certainly easier to follow. Most of the points in RU these days are scored through penalties when there's a ruck or a maul and the referee spots some obscure offence nobody else has. I would have been happier if SA had actually scored a try rather than won the game on such awards.
I don't think it's generally accepted the try being turned down was correct. Most English newspapers think it's Australian sour grapes. I've seen it over and over again and can't understand why it was refused.