Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Worden
06-Nov-2007, 11:41 PM

AlanR ...

I read your Worden post, and notice you mentioned a Philip Ashmore, did he have an older brother called David? his Mother and Father as I recall was Sid and Anne, they lived off Slater Lane over the river bridge and down a Road to the right coming from Seven Stars, his Grandma and Grandad Ball lived slightly up the Road on the opposite side of the Road in a small white cottage - quite a large smallholding? - Grandad Ned was quite a famous character in Leyland and remember him cycling into Leyland from their cottage, and think they had to stop him doing so when he got well into his 90's, he showed eggs at local fairs, and won many prizes, I left Leyland early on in my life, and have tried to find out about Ned and his Wife who I called Granny Ball from being a child, and who made us a Christmas Pudding each Year, and still have the recipe and the original measuring cup that was given to my family at the time, if you have any information, I would be glad to hear from you ! ...

MjO ...
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-Nov-2007, 02:04 AM

MjO,

I am sure you are right with the address and his brothers name, however the family details I have no idea about. It is funny really that you can go through school with someone and know absolutely nothing about them.

I remember Philip, because at the time I used to help the guy next door with his car. It was an Armstrong Siddeley and Phil always asked how "Sid" was.
07-Nov-2007, 11:59 AM

AlanR ...

Thanks for your response, its a pity you couldn't help but thought it was worth a try. I have happy memories of Granny Ball and watching Ned working in his extensive garden/plot and are some of my earliest memories, but unfortunately getting any information has been difficult, and getting any family information from my parents before they passed on, was not an easy task, I think there must have been some dark moments or something else untoward in the past that they felt must not be let out of the cupboard, but my digging into the past has not turned anything like that, up to now at least, although it looks as if my family came to Leyland at the end of the 1700's and are traceable back to the 1500's in the Rufford area.

Thanks again for your reply ...

MjO ...
07-Nov-2007, 09:12 PM

Hello Alan, welcome to the forum, I was wondering how you got on after the place closed down, Margaret sends her best wishes as do I of course. I have heard from Mr Todd who's at Paccar Trucks now but apart from that no-one.
08-Nov-2007, 04:16 AM

MjO:

My sister and father had a flat in a 6-unit building across the road from St. James' Church. Next door, or maybe one further towards the Black Bull, there was a white cottage with a very big garden. Is that the one you mean?

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
08-Nov-2007, 10:02 PM

Hello Frank !!

My memories of Leyland are somewhat faded, especially around the Slater Lane area, and my original post did in fact contain an error, the Road was to the Left not the Right! As William R would say - put it down to a senior moment! - If memory serves me correctly - its over 50 years since I was around there - when you travelled from Seven Stars up Slater Lane there was some Terraced Houses to the Left before the Road arced slightly right to the bridge over the river - I remember watching a pair of Otters that frequented the banks of the river over the bridge on the Left - and then the road arced around then slightly Left and straightened up with, I think, Terraced Houses on the Right, and Semi's on the Left, about 200 yards up on the Left was a small rough pebbled Road that was up a slight incline, with Houses on the Left and fields on the right. If instead of turning up that Road if you crossed over onto the right side of the Road there was the white cottage - possibly 20-30 yards up, the entrance was to the left of the cottage with some outbuildings at the back running at right angles to the cottage, and the extensive gardens and plots to the left. I think the church was a few hundred yards up on the opposite side of the road! I always called the Lady of the house Granny Ball but she must have been a relative I think, but have never really found out, not that I have tried too hard! She was a lovely old Lady and remember her well in my minds eye, although Ned I think was non to pleased about me, a small boy possibly charging round the garden and possibly frightening the Hens, I remember him as a thin man with a rather leathery thin face with a huge moustache, and rather a gravelly but squeaky voice.

MjO ...
09-Nov-2007, 07:53 AM

Hi Noel,
Thanks for your reply and I know it is out of context for this section, but have you heard from Big Lol? would you be able to get me Frank's e-mail address? I left my address book behind when I left the country (sounds like I've gone into hiding!).
09-Nov-2007, 02:39 PM

quote:

Originally posted by AlanR

Hi Noel,
Thanks for your reply and I know it is out of context for this section, but have you heard from Big Lol? would you be able to get me Frank's e-mail address? I left my address book behind when I left the country (sounds like I've gone into hiding!).

I saw Lol today, had a cuppa with him at Sainsbury's. He's still having treatment but keeps his chin up. Telling me he saw Janet Bibby at the cancer clinic. I've no idea of Franks email sorry, I did know it but he changed ISPs and I lost touch.
This the website of the Renault Traffic motorhomes he runs Alan, you can contact him through that, failing that I could give him a bell, probably a lot simpler.
12-Nov-2007, 04:01 AM

Thanks Noel,

I will try to contact Frank via the Motorhome web site. Talk with you later. If you see Lol again tell him I was asking about him.
12-Nov-2007, 01:07 PM

I attended Worden till 1976,I remember Mr cook (history) Mr Atherton (sports),I played hockey for fox lane with Mr Atherton, some pupils I remember John Poole,Nigel Hindel,Zoe Chadwich,Janet Naylor,Linda Cook,I have not had contact with any body since I left school and now live in Poland would love to hear from ex students