Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balshaw's Grammar School
25-Dec-2018, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 25-Dec-2018 05:15 PM by anacortesdamp.)
RE: Balshaw's Grammar School
John:

Before I finally gave up on the UK after all the Wilson government's meddling, I had two post-grad jobs in UK industry. The first was a 2-year stint with a company called Wickman Machine Tools. Their main engineering offices were in Coventry. I started there on a "provisional" salary with a promise of a major raise after a successful first year. Unfortunately that raise was stymied by Wilson imposing a wage freeze during the first year.

To get a better salary deal, I landed a job at Norton-Villiers, in their Research and Competiton department. I was hired on the basis of my experience in test instrumentation and was told I'd be setting up a mobile test facility with my choice of instrumentation. Unfortunately, the funds set aside for that task were swallowed up in a disastrous publicity scheme, intended to raise awareness of the new company.

As an alternative, I was heavily involved in the development testing of the Norton Commando street bike and then the AJS Stormer street-trail bike. N-V was a small-ish company with a multi-millionaire owner who was a "meddler" and the research team kept getting distracted by his latest schemes.

I finally got fed up with it and landed a job with Boeing. We went though all the immigration paperwork, got our visas and headed out to Seattle in July 1968. I got laid off in the 1971 cutbacks (Boeing headcount went from 103,000 to 36,000 in 2 years) and I went to work for NASA then back to Boeing in 1974. I took early retirement in September 1998. We moved to our present home in the seaside town of Anacortes the following year. Retirement at almost 58 was a bit of a gamble, but it worked out well. We've just hit 20 years since we made that decision, and just love both the location and the freedom.

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply