Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
leyland motors
04-Dec-2007, 07:06 AM
leyland motors
gday served my app their 73 to 79 loved it best training in the world . memories of the great food canteens taxis to and from and all tools suplied.crying shame that leyland died, iremember albert in south works canteen i think he was gay doing breakfast sos bacon stop (scratch his bum) eggs toast (scratch the front bit) and serve it up.all loaded on a trolley with a big ern of tea. sit on the bench when the hooter went and enjoy .lunch up the motors club in our clogs (SUPPLIED)few pints salad&cheese roll, snooker and back to work LATE.. no worries mates clocked you back in all good . SEEYA ARTY
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
28-Dec-2008, 03:43 AM

Hey Arty.......I laughed out loud when I read that stuff about Albert...so many memories...Im Tosh and I used to do the bacon butty run in the mornings and choc ice run in the afternoons!.....there was always two of us (usually John Harris or Chris Hanley) Albert was trying to grab one of us whilst the other borrowed a few choc ices from the freezer for profit
I finished my time at Spurrier then got transferred out to Leyland South Africa.....I now live in Sydney with many kids.....cheers
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-May-2010, 06:01 AM

Hi Mick Ray Rowe here I am from Australia I went to England in 1951 and had trials with Blackpool and Preston FC with my brother Neville after the trial with Preston Wiil Scott was the Manger then and he said he would sign me on but not my brother so I said if he don't want my brother I would not sign so I never signed but the Preston people said would we like to play for Leyland Motors so we agreed so Leyland got us a job in the engine shop at Leyland Motors and we played for the team for three years 1952 1953 1954 I wore clogs to work.more later on.
02-May-2013, 07:53 PM
RE: leyland motors
Hi Arty,
I always wondered what the real reason for Leyland Motors' decline was, and after reading your message I know! I suppose we should blame lax supervision for allowing the antics you described, but in a disastrous industrial scene which existed in 1973 I'd say the workforce brought it on themselves. Unionism came into being with honourable intentions, but in the end became a self-destroying disgrace. R.I.P. Leyland Motors!
03-May-2013, 07:04 PM
(02-May-2013 07:53 PM)Logo Wrote:  Hi Arty,
I always wondered what the real reason for Leyland Motors' decline was, and after reading your message I know! I suppose we should blame lax supervision for allowing the antics you described, but in a disastrous industrial scene which existed in 1973 I'd say the workforce brought it on themselves. Unionism came into being with honourable intentions, but in the end became a self-destroying disgrace. R.I.P. Leyland Motors!

I bet you're a bundle of laughs down the pub ! Cool
04-May-2013, 10:43 AM
No need for the sarcasm Phil.
04-May-2013, 11:59 AM
(04-May-2013 10:43 AM)noel Wrote:  No need for the sarcasm Phil.

Why not, he sounds like a right killjoy !
04-May-2013, 03:14 PM
He's entitled to his views and to some extent I agree with them, the strike in the late sixties and signs on the centurion way bridge "we'll show them who rules the world", yes that was actually written on the bridge during the dispute, for parity with the midlands served no good purpose whatsoever.