Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
leyland motors
16-Oct-2018, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 16-Oct-2018 04:07 PM by anacortesdamp.)
RE: leyland motors
PACCAR is one of our local employers. Their R&D facility, with a test track I think, is about 10 miles from where we live. Their manufacturing facilities are spread around the US. They had one very close to the Boeing plant in Renton, but I believe that one was closed when they cut back on railway vehicle production. There's a big retail electronics store on the site now. It was the foundry in their original company name "Pacific Car & Foundry", before they merged with the truck makers (Peterbilt amd Freightliner).

I'm sure the local residents are glad that the emissions from the foundry are a thing of the past. I worked at that Boeing facility for several years when the foundry was still in business. Going outside was always a chore.

Frank D,
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
16-Oct-2018, 08:18 PM
The foundry or its emissions certainly played havoc with the locals cars and paintwork. Was that on the north works? That's all gone now and a shopping complex of 4 or 5 stores car sales room and building estate of houses in progress. I remember the castings at the bottom of the bridge over the main rail line Carr lane I believe it's called. I note Karen didn't respond to a post of yours, met up with her 3 years ago a dinner with her and Linda Dunlop who is also a past forum member. They have gone on to Facebook but Karen doesn't write much but still in Canada her husband died about 4 years ago sadly.i so also hear from William or Bill who used to write about his years with LM he's in his 90s now and still going strong
16-Oct-2018, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 16-Oct-2018 11:02 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Noel:

The PACCAR foundry I mentioned was across the street and a couple of blocks towards downtown Renton from Boeing's plant, where the single-aisle airplanes were built (727, 737 and 757). The 727 is history now and the 757 is at a low production rate but the 737 is still going strong. It will probably top 5000 airplanes built since it first appeared, in another year or so. The Everett plant is now Boeing's major activity center in Washington, with a new production line building going in for the next variants of the 777 and 787 models.

Frank
17-Oct-2018, 02:43 PM
I imagine it was considerably bigger than the motors foundry Frank. Most of the planes we fly on for some reason seem to be airbus 320 presume these are for medium distance. I find the seating tight and some of the older ones that Freebird fly still have the fold back seats possibly one of the most inconsiderate ideas ever.
17-Oct-2018, 03:56 PM
The A-320 is a direct competitor to the smaller 737 variants which aren't being built any more. Boeing is concentrating on the -700, -800 and -900 these days, all of which are built at Renton.

The PACCAR foundry was integrated with the rail-car assembly plant, so it was hard to determine how big it was. It certainly made a mess of the local climate when they poured the molten metal. I'm pretty sure it was cast iron for the rail-car wheels, axles and frames. I'm not aware of where the railroad companies get their rolling stock these days.

Frank
18-Oct-2018, 07:57 PM
I'm trying to get my head round where you are in relation to Renton, ancortes is on Fidalgo island? so Renton looks a fair distance away? The Freebird planes I mentioned are based in Antalya it's only a small company but we have flown 6 times with them and yet to get one on time. And the duty free they offer on the plane, wl coming back to the UK a few weeks ago they brought the trolleys out over France and hadn't got half way round as the plane started its decent. 4th
18-Oct-2018, 09:17 PM (This post was last modified: 18-Oct-2018 09:26 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Anacortes to Renton is about 90 miles. A spur of State Route 20 then SR20 itself are our easterly route from Fidalgo Island to the valley through which Interstate 5 goes basically North/South from Vancouver to San Diego. It crosses I-5 at Burlington.

Fidalgo is the only island in the San Juans that had a road connection (a bridge) to the mainland. The other three San Juan Islands with residents rely on ferries to and from Anacortes. The ferry terminal is about a half mile from our house.

There are other islands to the south of Fidalgo that are populated and have bridge connections to I-5. Whidbey is the biggest.

A few miles south of Everett, I-405 swings off to the east. It then heads south to go down the east side of Lake Washington. I-5 goes down the west side of the lake and the two highways than recombine south of Seattle and just about due east of Sea-Tac airport. Renton is at the southern tip of Lake Washington, about 5 miles east of the point where I-5 and I-405 recombine.

I'll mail you some maps if you'd like.

Frank
20-Oct-2018, 09:04 PM
Right OK cheers Frank. I imagine the air is good quality surrounded by water as you are. Can't say the zame here, the M6 is a mile or so away frequently there's an accident on it shutting the whole of one direction and then all roads around us are gridlocked. Then there are numerous estates being built and in my lifetime the area has gone totally altered. It's progress I'm told but not my idea of progress. Croston Rd. for example I'm sure you'll remember it, has had 9 new housing estates built since 1970 on a 1 mile length and more are planned. The developers put a plan in the and invariably its passed even if the council reject it the government's housing inspector will overrule.
22-Oct-2018, 03:46 PM
You're correct about the air quality. The industry around Anacortes is generally low emissions. The biggest potential for it is our shipyard, but it's usually pretty good. There are two oil refineries about 5 miles east of town, but they're very good at controlling pollution from their processes. Most of the end product is taken away either by rail or by sea in small-ish tankers. The crude oil is delivered by sea.

Our nearest motorway (we call them freeways) is Interstate 5. It's about 40 miles east of town, connected to us by a four-lane highway. Traffic is not a big deal except at the height of the tourist season. The terminal for the State Ferry system that serves the other San Juan Islands and Victoria BC is about half a mile from our house. When one of the bigger boats comes in, there's a brief traffic mess when they unload 200 cars in less than 15 minutes onto a 2-lane road into town. That only happens 4 times a day in the off-season and 6 times during the summer. It doesn't take long to figure out when the choke-ups will be and we have routes that work around the main road.

We've transitioned into the off-season now. It's foggy enough this morning at 08:00 that I can barely see the sailboat moored at the neighbour's dock across the street. Their house is visible in front of the dock, but not the boat.

Frank D.
25-Oct-2018, 08:38 PM
We're not having much luck getting mum mbers to contribute Frank, it doesn't augur well for the future of the forum. Today we walked around the marina at Preston. Years ago I used to drive along strand Road where the Dock is or rather was, it closed in 1984 I think, and used to wonder what was going on behind the doors, you couldn't tell it was actually a dock. Now it's been opened up and converted into a marina with shops along one side, apartments on the opposite side and a local steam rail running across the end of the marina. A journey of a couple of miles. But it's a great feeling when you're there as it chugs past. There's a dragon boat team there and we were able to watch the racing a couple of months ago.