Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dentists
03-Jan-2008, 04:56 PM
Dentists
Does anyone know of a dentist in Leyland that still does national health I have tried to find one but up to now unsuccessfully, bit sad that all dentists in Leyland are greedy so and so's.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-Jan-2008, 08:05 PM

It's the same everywhere you go Dave. Most dentists only have a limited time slot for NHS work which means that people who work don't stand a chance.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-Jan-2008, 08:55 PM

`Colette Gill, director of modernisation and service development at the Chorley and South Ribble PCT, said: "A number of dentists are currently submitting proposals to increase NHS dental services in Chorley and South Ribble, and contracts will be awarded at the end of March.`

I think it may have to be a case of keeping your eyes open and dive in there when the new ones are announced.

Jim
04-Jan-2008, 12:44 AM

quote 'bit sad that all dentists in Leyland are greedy so and so's.'

So Dave, do you think they're different elswhere ?
04-Jan-2008, 01:07 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Dave Hewitt

Does anyone know of a dentist in Leyland that still does national health I have tried to find one but up to now unsuccessfully, bit sad that all dentists in Leyland are greedy so and so's.

If you phone your PCT they will put you in touch with a dentist who is still accepting NHS patients.

As for dentists being greedy so-and-so's, perhaps I could explain to you how NHS general dental practitioners are currently paid? Payment is in three bands. Under Band 1 comes check up, x-rays, scale & polish. This counts as 1 "unit of dental activity" (UDA) for which the patient pays £15.90 and the PCT makes up to £20 - 25 (depending on local agreement) to the dentist.

Fillings, extractions and root canal treatment count as 3 UDAs, no matter how many fillings are needed. The patient pays £43.60. The dentist gets £60 - 75.

Any treatment needing lab work eg dentures, crowns falls into Band 3 for which the patient pays £194 and the dentist gets £240 - 300 - again no matter how many crowns are needed.

Now consider a patient who comes in needing check up, routine x-rays, scale & polish, two fillings and a wisdom tooth out. That treatment will take at least an hour, for which the dentist will be paid £60 - 75. Out of that money he/she has to pay the dental nurse, receptionist, electricity bill, gas bill, council tax, service bills for all dental equipment, all the dental materials, insurance, professional indemnity insurance, clinical waste disposal........ I think you'll agree that £60 an hour doesn't cover that and leave a living wage for the dentist. This is why so many dentists have pulled out of the NHS in the last few years and a lot more will pull out in 2009 when the guaranteed payments under the current scheme run out.
04-Jan-2008, 04:42 AM

I think thats why so many dentists and doctors move to the US and other parts of the world Linda.
04-Jan-2008, 09:01 AM

Well Ldunlop, sorry I don't know your first name, you certainly seem to be well informed about the state of dentists in the NHS, if you are correct then it is hardly surprising that dentists are going private, and in which case its down to the government. This rot was most probably started by the Tory government. But it should have been a priority for Labour to sort out.

The only thing that doesn't add up is the affluence of all the dentists I know, including ones that are still working within the NHS.

Last time I used a dentist was on the Island of Mull she was NHS and a superb dentist.

If I can waIt until I get back to Mull I will, if not I will pull the tooth out myself.
04-Jan-2008, 10:18 AM

Hurry up Linda, I`m dying to read your reply.[Tongue][Tongue][Tongue]

Jim
04-Jan-2008, 12:25 PM

I have an set of rusty plyers and a hammer I can lend you if necessary [Big Grin]

I just hope my teeth manage to stay in fair nick till the whole dentist thing is sorted out!

http://www.leylandminiclub.com - All mini owners/enthusisasts welcome new & old
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-Jan-2008, 03:28 PM

Noel you spoilt the fun......[Smile]