Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dentists
04-Jan-2008, 04:29 PM

During the early development of the Oxford English Dictionary, a panel was discussing pronunciation recommendations. The word "canine" was under discussion, whether it should be "can - ine" or "cay - nine".

G.B.Shaw insisted that the way people who use the word regularly pronounced it should be the rule. He said "My dentist always says "cay - nine". Another panellist said, "well, Shaw, you must have an American dentist". Shaw's response was "Of course I do. Why else would I still have my own teeth at 75 years of age".

Franki

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-Jan-2008, 05:45 PM

quote:

Originally posted by muffers

Noel you spoilt the fun......[Smile]

made a correction.[}Smile]
04-Jan-2008, 07:14 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Dave Hewitt

Well Ldunlop, sorry I don't know your first name, you certainly seem to be well informed about the state of dentists in the NHS, if you are correct then it is hardly surprising that dentists are going private, and in which case its down to the government. This rot was most probably started by the Tory government. But it should have been a priority for Labour to sort out.

The only thing that doesn't add up is the affluence of all the dentists I know, including ones that are still working within the NHS.

I am the Linda they all keep referring to! And the reason I am well informed is that I am a dentist.... and an NHS one too.... but I work in what used to be the Community Dental Service, which means I treat special needs patients and patients referred by their own dentists for treatments they don't offer, such as sedation. Here in the salaried services we are far from affluent - one look at my X-reg Citroen Saxo will prove that to you! ([Tongue] to Jim!!!)

Most high street dentists mix NHS work with private work, which is where the money is - hence the flashy cars and houses. However, many of them operate on hefty overdrafts, so technically the flash lifestyle is being financed by the bank. I know a few high street dentists who are very worried at the moment too - each year they are set a UDA quota by their PCT and if they exceed this, they are not paid for any more NHS work, so have to close their doors to NHS patients until the new financial year. Others face the opposite problem - if they fail to reach their UDA target, the PCT will claw back some of the money they have been expecting. One friend of mine, who is an assoicate at a high street practice, is seriously worried that she may lose her job because there isn't enough NHS work under the practice's UDA allocation to keep the whole practice in work and the practice principal takes the lion's share of the private work - after all, he owns the premises and pays the bills, so needs to keep going.

One suspects that there might be a hidden agenda to remove dentistry from the NHS except for a core service for those unable to obtain private care. After all, would you expect a supermarket to survive if the charge was the same if you bought 12 tins of baked beans or 1 tin? Yet the govt expects dentists to be able to provide 12 fillings for the same price as 1....... and you'd be surprised how often patients do need that amount of work.

OK, rant over!
05-Jan-2008, 05:24 PM

Well Linda I have certainly learned a great deal looking for a NHS dentist, I have been guilty of jumping to conclusions I'm afraid and as they say in Leyland 'a'll owd mi hand up

I am surprised that we don't hear more from whoever your representative body is, campaigning to get a better deal within the NHS for dentists, we the public would and should support that because it will prove to be in our interest in the long run.

Sorry to be a dunce but what is a PCT
10-Jan-2008, 12:09 AM

Hi Dave. I'm a patient at the Grove Dental Practice at Seven Stars still on the NHS. Unfortunatley, I don't know if you'll be able to register. I've been there for 20-odd years and I seem to remember, if you don't keep up with your appointments (1 every six months) then you're off the list!! Sorry I can't be more helpful/informative.
10-Jan-2008, 04:55 PM

Most expensive in Europe !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7180910.stm
11-Jan-2008, 01:34 AM

What's all the fuss about ? You have a pre-eminent dentist right there in your midst, meet my cousin Roger Hughlock...
http://www.rogerjhughlock.co.uk/
Quote this message in a reply
12-Jan-2008, 01:51 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Dave Hewitt

Sorry to be a dunce but what is a PCT

Primary Care Trust - basically they run the NHS at a local level.
Sorry about the delay in replying, but I haven't had time to get online all week.
12-Jan-2008, 01:55 PM

I'm sure your cousin is a superb dentist, David, but the original enquiry was for an NHS dentist and your cousin is in the private sector. Nice to hear he's a fellow Liverpool graduate though!
31-Jan-2008, 02:04 PM

quote:

Lancashire's dental crisis is set to ease with places for dozens more patients.
People in Preston, Leyland, Chorley, Buckshaw Village and Whittle-le-Woods will benefit from the extra places announced on Thursday.

The Central Lancashire Primary Care Trust (PCT) has secured the equivalent of six dentists following a five-month tender exercise to attract more dentists and encourage existing dentists to provide additional services.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/Dental-crisis-set-to-ease.3731086.jp

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user