Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Monument?
Is there any truth in the rumoured plans to commemorate the late great Leyland Motors by removing the clock from Hough Lane roundabout?

I had heard that as part of the regeneration program they would be tearing up the lawned area and flower beds, concreting the entire diameter, and then constructing a giant cast iron Austin Princess?

With beaded seats?

Ben
Now that's an interesting thought, particularily as the money was sucked out of Leyland Motors so that BL could develop the Austin Princess and the Triumph Herald, resulting in little investment in Trucks and Buses , a significant factor in the demise of Leyland motors. So how about a model of the Herald as well.
I sincerely hope it isn't true.
I hope it's not true to. It took them long enough to put the beds in place in the first place and now they want to rip them up?? God help us with any other ideas they get. Why don't they ask Leyland people what THEY want instead of doing something cockeyed?
Yes, well I've heard the proposals for this site and it may suit some people in Leyland, in a roundabout way, please pardon the pun!

Apparently, TESCO are very impressed with the level of support and the customer share they have here and so, they are honoring Leyland with the first of its inovative "TESCO REVOLVE" stores.

This is a huge revolving shop that you simply drive up to, matching your speed to that of the store. Give in your order at the window and the staff collect it all for you and lob it in your boot. You don't need to leave your vehicle at all and simply show your credit card to the conveniently placed reader before you leave. You drive away and depart at the most appropriate exit to get you on the road back home.

Sounds wonderful to me and according to TESCO'S it will round off the company's investment in the town. Here here!

Comments please..........

CHRIS
I don't know whether to titter or groan!
We laugh,

but how long before they actually do it!!!??
www.leylandminiclub.com - All mini owners/enthusisasts welcome new & old
Just read of the idea of tearing up the roundabout. They'll have their work cut out, as I understand the reason for its size is that it stands of the concrete platform where the gas works retort house was, and when Churchill Way was built even the heaviest of drilling equipment couldn't shift that concrete!
CD