Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland to Become the Waste Recycling Centre For
23-Jan-2005, 01:08 PM

I found this article from the Times Online site.

quote:

Clock ticking as Herhof races for funds
Frank Fitzgibbon

HERHOF Environmental, the waste management recycling technology business acquired by Treasury Holdings in 2003 for €20m, has three weeks to secure fresh financing or face the prospect of losing valuable contracts in Italy, France, Belgium and the UK. It is also in danger of losing a large contract with SCA, a paper manufacturer based in Witzenhausen in Germany.
David Tyndall, the chief operations officer of Treasury, confirmed that several contracts are in danger following the appointment of a preliminary administrator to Herhof caused by “temporary liquidity congestion”.

“This company won’t go under unless people want it to,” said Tyndall. “Some of these Herhof contracts are worth €200m or €300m each and require oodles of money.”

One of the contracts at risk is the controversial Lancashire Leyland project, described as the biggest project of its type in Britain. Plans to build a controversial giant tip that will produce waste for incineration were approved in December, despite public protest.

The Times Online

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
29-Jan-2005, 12:42 AM

The waste recycling centre is to be built at the back of me and I am not looking forward to looking out the window at th[Sad!]at every morning.
Find all posts by this user
29-Jan-2005, 02:52 AM

Is this a classic case of NIMBY ?
Not In My Back Yard
Garbage has to go somewhere.
New York City ships it out into the Atlantic on barges and dumps it out there.
What do you think of that then ??
Quote this message in a reply
29-Jan-2005, 09:27 AM

Better to be dumped out there than in my back yard David. What do you say? You'd be happy to make your garden available?
26-Feb-2005, 08:08 PM

Hey i am new to the site and just noticed this topic. I know quite a bit about this topic as my dad has been campaigning against this for quite a while.
Many years ago dad (Cllr Mark Alcock)found out that there was going to be a waste incineration process plant in south ribble. He immediatly kicked up a fuss to be told that there would NOT be a waste incineration process plant and that dad was just causing trouble basically, we even have a cutting from in the newspaper were one person has specifically said that they would NOT have a plant such as that. But years later the proposal came forward for a waste plant. I was actually at the LCC meeting were the plans were up. All i can say is what a useless lot of county councillors we have got. They were like puppets on strings just passing everything. Incineration causes a lot of health problems. One person in the county council meeting actually raised one point that is a big thing for us. Lcc actually stated that they would not EVER burn the waste here in the county and that it would be sent somewere else to be incinerated. Why would they be sending the waste to somewere else if there as nothing wrong with incineration? Would you as a resident of south ribble feel happy to be having a plant that was producing product that would cause a lot of health implications for people in the surrounding area of were it was going to be burnt?
To the point of the actual plant. These plants produce not only visual pollution but i have been told that there is also a very nasty smell produced. Not to mention the MANY vehicle movements that such a plant will produce.

But you will all be glad to hear that the company who's plant this was going to be has gone bust! So for now were "safe" for now...

Laura-Jane x
26-Feb-2005, 10:46 PM

Hi Laura, welcome to the forum. You put some very interesting points there, I'm pleased to hear and it's news to me, that the company has gone bust. Does that mean we are safe for ever though? I thought this was a South Ribble project???
27-Feb-2005, 12:54 AM

obviously not forever...

it was the lcc, my dad as part of the farington parish council was actually going to take the county council to court for not fulfiling all the processes that were required. There was a certain check that should of been done and wasnt and therefore there was a rule i cant remember the name that my dad used but basically he was going to take them to court.
But the company went bust and now looks to be "safe" for the meantime.

If it arises again then people need to kcik up a fuss like my dad did to help try and stop it. The more people that are against it then the less likely something is to get the go ahead. Well sayin that the puppetier namely the government has control. So what can i say, vote wisely...

ps if you wanna read about what dad did and some other documents about incineration then take a peek at this...

http://www.markalcock.org.uk/search.php?...cineration

Laura-Jane x
27-Feb-2005, 08:22 AM

Sorry if I am being thick but whilst I fully agree with recycling as much as possible what is wrong with burning waste? How come now that hardly anyone has a coal fire that asthma is at an all time high? It couldn't be anything to do with exhaust fumes could it?[Tongue]
27-Feb-2005, 08:48 AM

Maybe they should build it at Whittle Dedrah.
27-Feb-2005, 01:16 PM

Well here is one health concern as documented in the press

"For years we here and on the continent have all been told that incineration poses no health threat. A new official French report (Impact sanitaire passe et actuel d'incineration des ordures menageres d'Angers, Cellule inter-regionale d'epidmiologie Ouest, decembre 2001 - page 34) reveals for the first time that waste incinerators can give you cancer."

i dont know the exact percentage of the top of my head but there are some statistics stating that if you live with in a certain distance of an incinerator then you are x% likely to get cancer.

Laura-Jane x