Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Old Leyland Schools
11-Mar-2003, 11:18 AM
Old Leyland Schools
Hi, I read all these postings from people who went to Leyland schools with names I don`t recognise (some of them) Did anyone go to school before the 1939/45 War? I went to Leyland Senior School in Yewlands Avenue, Head was A.B.Church, left in early 1939. Perhaps all my contemporaries are studying up above, now. So I`ll stay just a Golden Oldie and watch you youngsters enjoy yourselves, I`ll keep my eye on you! From over the Pennines, Cheerio, Bill.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-Mar-2003, 11:29 PM

Hello Bill
I'm new to the forum - you ask did anyone go to Leyland Senior School before the 1939/45 War. You might just have crossed paths with my Uncle Alf Seguss, he also had two younger sisters Edna (my Mum) and May. I will be visiting Leyland at the weekend and I'll 'doff' my cap as I drive past Yewlands Drive - Mum still lives close by in Leyland. I have actually heard her talk of Mr Church when she is recounting school days. In fact somewhere amongst my family history papers (see my homepage) I have Uncle Alf's leaving school report - makes interesting reading! Take care and make sure you keep an eye on us 'youngsters'.

Unfortunately (Or maybe fortunately whichever way you look at it!) he's now studying at the a far greater academy up above.
13-Apr-2003, 10:29 AM

Hello folks, Thanks for yours about the Secondary Modern. I`m trying to spark a bit of interest by introducing this thread, mention of Mr Church (Albert Bath Church) takes me back. He was Heawith Miss Farington as assistant, my year was with Mr Middlehurst, Miss Crozier looked after Music etc, we had a Mr Cocking who did Woodwork. Tell me names and I may be able to place them. Mr Middlehurst used to dispense justice with an old gym shoe, bend over and bang, boys and girls alike, ABC used a cane (rarely) and Mr Cocking a piece of 4 x 1/2. Wouldn`t happen now!! The names of students don`t ring bells, I left to start work at Easter 1939 (64 years ago), I`ll have to nudge my memory a bit more. I`m now living in Barnsley, which is the wrong side of the Pennines, having been here since 1960. Will be at the Eagle and Child in Leyland on Wednesday April 16th to see a bit more of people. Cheerio, Bill.
26-Apr-2003, 05:13 AM

Went to weslyan school in 1929-1933. headmaster and Mr Swire teacher I remember was "Dolly Wood"
I still have a picture somewhere of Miss Fords class taken in 1930 or 1931 ,will look it up if anyone interested, People I remember ....Clarance Culshaw,Frank Holden, Patricia Cooper, Edith Kenyon, Eva Hull..... Pat Cooper was a Police Inspector in Preston last time I heard of her. I remember dipping Edith Kenyons Braided hair in the Inkwell as she sat in front of me (sorry about that )Went to Balshaws in 1933 John Lewis Jackal@ripnet.com
26-Apr-2003, 12:17 PM

quote:

Originally posted by jackal

Went to weslyan school in 1929-1933. headmaster and Mr Swire teacher I remember was "Dolly Wood"
I still have a picture somewhere of Miss Fords class taken in 1930 or 1931 ,will look it up if anyone interested

If you can email it to me, I will put it on a school photos page.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-May-2003, 01:58 AM

quote:

Originally posted by jackal

Went to weslyan school in 1929-1933. headmaster Mr Swire teacher I remember was "Dolly Wood"

Hello Jackal,
My father went to the Meths. school and always mentions those two teachers names. He left there about 1930-31 and his name is Jim Lawson. He lived on East Street then and had an older brother, George and a younger sister, Ethel. He'll be 87 in June.
28-May-2003, 02:43 AM

I figured I must be just about the oldest poster here, so was pleasantly surprized at William R's post. I attended St. Mary's just down the hill from Yewlands Drive from 1939 to 1943 and remember the name A.B. Church, though never saw the man, to my knowledge. Before St. Mary's I went to the Wesleyan School near the gasworks and the name Swire rings a decided bell after all these years. At St. Mary's, the head was Mr. Coffey for years. I left to go to the Catholic College in Preston. An older pal of mine at St. Mary's was a Bill Shakespear (sic) who lived on Bent Lane and had a girlfriend at Yewlands Drive called Margaret McKenna; I used to wait with him to talk to her when she came out of school. If anyone recalls St. Mary's at the dates mentioned above, who was the female teacher that used to read Worzel Gumnmidge stories in standard 1? I have never fogotten the magic she could engender with her readings! The sole teacher whose name I recall was a Miss Dobson; she had us singing a round when she detected someone singing "pour on petrol" instead of "pour on water" in the round "London's burning.." She found the culprit and brought her in front of the class. As she was aboiut the chastise the joker, the air raid siren went off. Joan, the girl, yelled out 'Siren' startling Miss Dobson into a reflex action that landed an inadvertent smack on Joan's cheek. That air raid was when the Farrington works got hit in broad daylight and a Mr. Valentine was hit ny machine gun bullets and killed. Memory anyone?

BillR
19-May-2015, 10:06 PM
RE: Old Leyland Schools
(28-May-2003 02:43 AM)Bill Rigby Wrote:  I figured I must be just about the oldest poster here, so was pleasantly surprized at William R's post. I attended St. Mary's just down the hill from Yewlands Drive from 1939 to 1943 and remember the name A.B. Church, though never saw the man, to my knowledge. Before St. Mary's I went to the Wesleyan School near the gasworks and the name Swire rings a decided bell after all these years. At St. Mary's, the head was Mr. Coffey for years. I left to go to the Catholic College in Preston. An older pal of mine at St. Mary's was a Bill Shakespear (sic) who lived on Bent Lane and had a girlfriend at Yewlands Drive called Margaret McKenna; I used to wait with him to talk to her when she came out of school. If anyone recalls St. Mary's at the dates mentioned above, who was the female teacher that used to read Worzel Gumnmidge stories in standard 1? I have never fogotten the magic she could engender with her readings! The sole teacher whose name I recall was a Miss Dobson; she had us singing a round when she detected someone singing "pour on petrol" instead of "pour on water" in the round "London's burning.." She found the culprit and brought her in front of the class. As she was aboiut the chastise the joker, the air raid siren went off. Joan, the girl, yelled out 'Siren' startling Miss Dobson into a reflex action that landed an inadvertent smack on Joan's cheek. That air raid was when the Farrington works got hit in broad daylight and a Mr. Valentine was hit ny machine gun bullets and killed. Memory anyone?
Hello Bill
I have been trying to find any old pictures of St Mary's pupils as my dad went there. His name is Frank Higham and he lived on Balshaw Road off School Lane. He now lives in Garstang, do you remember him?
25-May-2015, 05:04 PM
Hello Louise, sorry your post didn't get approved until now Blush
Bill is no longer with us, but someone else might be able to help. When did your dad go to St Mary's?
26-May-2015, 08:37 PM
Hello Louise,

I went to St Mary's from 1950 to 1959, when I left to start work.
Mr Coffey was headmaster at the school in School Lane untill the new secondary school opened on Royal Avenue in 1957 and Miss Reddy took over the headship of the new school. The senior teachers are the ones I remember including Miss Holding, Miss Ratcliffe, Mr Dunne, Mr Gore, Mr Harrison, Mr Mercer, Mr Cotteriall.

frank h.