Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Old L.M.L. Workers. Are you there?
10-Mar-2013, 09:01 PM

Brian Heyes used to be good at snooker, he took after his Dad who was very good when he was alive ( He died back in the 70's or thereabouts, his Dad that is ! ). Brian's brother is the club/pub singer Alan Heyes who sings Elvis songs and other rock n roll numbers !
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-Mar-2013, 03:31 PM

Hi Alan,
Don't know if you remember me Dave Hocken started in BX stores Feb 69 began working with Lionel Johnson and Scotch Bob in recieving.
I then progressed onto the staff chasing with Fred & Peter Burkett,Dai Jones.
I then became stores foreman with Bill Freeman Tommy Peacock and Ken Farington.
You mentioned Stuart Higginson there was also Carl Higginson who worked with Gerry Mcclelland, Geoff Webster and many more, they all worked in the hanger.
I moved up to Spurrier in 83/84 to take over from Derek Barlow to run the stores up there.
I wonder many a time what's happened to them all, some could still be out there.

quote:

Originally posted by alan hayes

Is there anyone out there that used to work in the BX Stores, between about 1963-1980? My name is Alan Hayes, I was a storeman in the Bx for some years, I liked it there,I remember Jack Winrow, a keen photographer who also worked in the stores (upstairs)he was always taking shots of the assembly shop and even took a group photo outside, with the entire staff of the Stores. I would really like to see any photos that Jack took. I also remember Stuart Higginson, a good mate of mine who I have lost contact with over the years, his brother worked on the gate police.

Quote this message in a reply
11-Mar-2013, 05:41 PM

I remember a Higginson that worked at Worden park as a sort of policeman I believe there was a large family of Higginsons

djh
12-Mar-2013, 11:42 PM

Hello, Dave, It's been a long time no see! Hope you are keeping well, I remember Lionel Johnson, Carl Higginson,Stuart Higginson, i used to have my break with him upstairs on nights. Also remember Ken Farington, i think he was the boss of the stores? Nice bloke, also Bill Freeman, foreman on day shift, Gerry Mclleland is unforunately dead, died of heart attack, after all those years of worrying on his part about the heart valve he had fitted, that was not the cause of his untimely end, I still miss him, he was a good friend of mine.
thanks for replying and your time

Kind regards,
Alan.
14-Mar-2013, 11:47 AM

Mum Jessie (nee Rukin from Lytham cottage on Slater Lane) worked at LM as a typist clerk before WW2 - lived to 94 - she died last May (2012, and seldom ate Marge since we arrived here in NZ in 1954). She got a bus to 7 Stars to go home for lunch and another back to the Cross then walked up Sandy Lane back to the works via the playing fields. Dad Bruce met her on Sandy when he was walking home from the printing works at the Cross to his parents' (Alfred Ernest and Helen nee Baron) home @ No 46. (Alfred ran the Tobacconists and Dad's uncle Harry ran the Printing Works and uncle Tom was the one who lived at Occleshaw house and put up billboard posters.
There! that's expanded the topic a bit!

Jerry Threlfall
19-Mar-2013, 04:39 PM

Looking through all the posts - I feel a long way from things I knew of the "old Leyland". Recently had to go to the funeral of my sister at Feniscowles, didn`t have chance to go visiting, and at 88 yrs not driving anymore.

Will still keep an eye on things from the Forum, just keep the bits and pieces coming in. Regards to all the "oldies" from a white haired Leylander. William R
19-Mar-2013, 04:48 PM

Regards to you William, sorry to hear about your sister.
19-Mar-2013, 06:23 PM

No problem Noel. She had got to 90yrs two days before. She used to be in the Ambulance Room at Leyland and Birmingham during the War years. Cheers from me and Linda.
20-Mar-2013, 10:29 AM

Thanks Audrey - will send a reply soon, WRH
20-Mar-2013, 11:15 AM

Hi there Audrey - been getting a bit mixed up with sending posts, but I think I`m doing it ok now.

Talking about snow in Leyland, I well remember the one in winter of 1943/4 when it snowed very heavily, and at Bent Bridge we were under a large snow drift which covered the side of the house. Had to dig a way to the coal house on the end of the house through solid snow.

Bent Lane was full of snow drifts and no way out, so it was knee deep in the snow to go out. No snow ploughs then, dig out or stay put. No excuse for not going to work - set off early to get there on time. We managed, but remember that we were on rations then and food had to be got in. Shopping was a hard task at any time, but in the snow it was nearly impossible.

No cars then, and very poor bus services. To go anywhere you had to walk - think about that today when everyone is mobile. We got through.

You may be told about the Troop Train the got stuck in the snow drifts at Coppull and had to be serviced by the army bringing food over the snow. People who had to travel to work were looking for a place to sleep to be able to work, those were hard times.

It finally went away, but stayed in some places until June, and that was the time of the Invasion of Europe. You can imagine the problems the snow caused in the work ahead - but we were at war and had to get on with it When you compare to the life we have today, is it any wonder we look back and say "we managed and had no help"

Its Budget Day today, March 20th and snowing a bit, in sixty years will anyone remember? Cheers Audrey and keep smiling, you see, we KNOW how to manage. WRH.