Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Old L.M.L. Workers. Are you there?
21-Mar-2013, 11:58 AM

Perhaps not all to do with Leyland Motors - but leaving the seventies the Driving License people think you need medical proof to show you can drive. Get a bit further on and at 75 you get a free T.V. license and travel insurance goes up. Get to 80 and you get 25p rise in pension. Now check your travel insurance. Get into your eighties and the Medical gang are after you. Didn`t know I suffered from that, so take some pills. Cataracts? you say they need doing - OK what next? You fancy a trip abroad, check your travel insurance first - more forms to fill in, more money to pay. Do I really need to go abroad? can I afford the insurance? am I really that bad? its really grand getting on in life - if you have the insurance. Have a nice Easter. WRH
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
23-Mar-2013, 05:03 AM

Ray rowe William what is the topic you have me can you send me an e-mail
13-Mar-2016, 04:51 PM
RE: Old L.M.L. Workers. Are you there?
Hi everybody
I worked at Leyland motors from 1946 / 1990
Time served sheet metal worker at south works , worked in every plant .
8 yrs in the BX from 69 /76 , good friends were Norman Livesey & Ray fletcher .
Was Union convenor for 2 yrs .
Was quality controller in new Assy plant for 4 yrs
Then overseas planning engineer until accepting redundancy in July 90 .
Any body out there from my era
15-Mar-2016, 11:22 AM
Hi there Jack my mum was shop steward in the nozzle shop back in the sixties, on the strike comittee during the strike.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to noel for this post
16-Mar-2016, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 16-Mar-2016 09:59 AM by Dave H.)
Welcome Jack, we are still around old LML workers, I was at Spurrier wks fab shop and no 8 shop turning, then as a chaser, moved to Chorley parts CPO as a parts analyst then the new assembly plant on production control when it opened, I was at Leylands from the 60s to the 80s, took redundancy when the place was folding up and started my own business, now retired and living on the island of Crete/Greece on medical advice to help my diabetes, good to remember the mates at the assembly plant, I worked on the shop floor office with Jimmy Tyler for a few years then moved upstairs to the offices working for David Hughes on parts control, nice to reminisce after living on Crete for 10 years.

djh
16-Mar-2016, 10:44 AM
Hi Dave
Thanks for your reply , I was in the new Assy plant from 79 until 85 .
Was on quality control on the cab line in the shop floor office .
Nice part of the world you live in.
All the best to you
16-Mar-2016, 04:36 PM
I had overlooked the fact that another uncle, Ron Baker, also worked at LML for a long time. He first signed an as an apprentice before WW2. One of the other lads in his class was Donald Stokes. He joined the army at the start of the war, serving a lot of time in Africa and the Middle East.

After demob, he went back to LML and spent the rest of his working life in the Chorley Spares department. His wife, Bessie, was my Dad's sister.

Frank D
[+] 1 user says Thank You to anacortesdamp for this post
17-Mar-2016, 09:39 PM
Names I remember from mum's talks, Eric Rawcliffe, and can't remember his first name atm, but a chap called Yates who used to run to work and home making a large detour to add to the distance, with a back-pack full of weights. Think their jobs were fitters or turners or something similar, remember she used to talk about a capstan. ? Also Len Brindle the convenor? The rest is a haze it's so long since I heard these names.
18-Mar-2016, 08:00 AM
A capstan was a lathe Noel that a turner used to make engine and other parts. I also used to run to work with weights in a back pack until I realised that I was breathing in all the exhaust fumes from the cars, not good for a fitness program.

djh
18-Mar-2016, 11:50 AM
Yes I recall that period & the names you mentioned , I spent 6 months in 102 dept as an apprentice in 1946 .
I was also on the works committee with Len Brindle in 73/75 for the Bx factory.
My wife worked in the Nozzle shop in the early 1970 s