Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Old L.M.L. Workers. Are you there?
23-Oct-2005, 09:20 PM

Hi Tony.
I am a bit new to this game but as I was going thtough the forum I noticed that you said your Gt. Grandfather was Jack Linley a boilermaker,I worked in the boilershop for 45 years,and I rememder Jack when I was serving my time (nice old chap)Ialso remember his son ,he was a foreman fitter in the BX Good to look back ,some good times were had in the old boilershop at North Works.Bye for now ,may have another chat sometime.

R.White
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
23-Oct-2005, 09:35 PM

Welcome Ron. My mother worked in the Nozzle Shop until about 1972 I think, she was shop steward and on the strike commitee during the big strike in the sixties with Len Brindle , Schultz rings a bell as well. I remember her meeting Arthur Scanlon and "Jack" Jones? was it? She always voted tory as well which seemed a contradiction.
22-Nov-2005, 09:34 PM

Hi William.
I note you were asking if anyone remembered Charlie Hill,I remember one time I was asked to Make a making up piece for him To join the engine and gearbox .Charlie had the piece drilled and attached to the engine.The engine was started up something went wrong ,the bolts sheared and the making up piece about 8inches in diameter 2 inches thick flew off whizzed past Charlies head and went through the roof.I remember Charlie was quite unflappable but that incident shook him up a bit.I also remember the first Xmas draw after the war was won by a chap in the boilershop who swapped the turkey with Joe Rodway for about 8 chickens,I was given the job of collecting the turkey and had to carry it from the club to the boilershop and I can tell you it was quite a featas it was about 30 lbs.PS The club is now too be sold off.

R.White
22-Nov-2005, 10:38 PM

It will be sad to see the Club go.

I remember VJ Night we went in during the morning and we collectively drank the place dry, it didn`t help that we were buying bottles and saving them on the window sill behind the curtains in the lounge.

They got more supplies in time for evening drinking.

I remember Charlie Hill, wasn`t he in charge of line assembly with Jack Fairclough?

Have some good memories of Leylands, being in the MOS Factory from the start. Every now and then I put a little bit of nostalgia in to see if it ruffles feathers.

I was with the MOS Factory after the Centurian Mk7 order finished and we went onto the Hispano light tank, was it the HS1500? I remember it was a bit revolutionary in that the front and rear ends were interchangeable, if you took all the flange retaining bolts out.

We had some happy times when Dickie Ball was running the experimental in No.9 Shop.

How many people can tell you about the Grand Opening Day when Duncan Sands came to launch the Mk7? Can anyone remember what happened to the "London Train" which came that day, carrying all the General Staff from the War Office to the Opening? Red faces all round!!!

Someone once said that I should write a book, maybe one day.....

Cheerio, W.R.
26-Oct-2006, 06:16 AM

quote:

Originally posted by TonyL

Hi William R,
Maybe I'm not as old a Motors man as you had hoped but I've worked there since I left school in 1971.
My Dad (Jim Lawson, he's now 86)worked there from the mid fifties and my grandfather (Jack Lindley) was a foreman/tester.( I think he ended up in the time office before he retired). My great grandfather also worked there apparently as a boilermaker.

Just to mention a couple of names who I remember being mentioned were Bert Rimmer and Fred Bullough. ( Fred was a manager at Spurrier when I was starting out in the drawing office).
I have, somewhere, an old photo of my grandad leaning over a chassis with , I think, Bert Rimmer, Clarence Livesey & Harold Rothwell who was a bloke who was in the main drawing office when I started out in there.
Oh well, that's a start. Do any of these people ring a bell?

26-Oct-2006, 10:33 AM

The one ringing the bell is Fred bullough. I did a bit of work with him when he was running the chassis assembly lines at the bottom of North Works. I recall he moved to Spurrier Works in the 1950`s.

I did the transfer of the engine production plant from the Engine Factory at Farington, to the new site at Spurrier, together with providing the new engine test facility. We cut the build time of a standard engine from 22 hrs, to just over six, by introducing new methods of working. Initially, we worked in the restricteed area in No.9 Building at Spurrier, working as a team with Dick Ball, Jim Goldsborough, Phil Swann; working on a ten minute stage assembly, then worked it into production line conveyors.

The engine types were the E300, E350, E.600, E.680 and later the E.980. vertical and flat. So it was a big project to see through with all the ancillary plant and production lines involved.

I could go through a roll-call of many at that time but one comes to mind in the war years, which was kept under wraps, which was Tom Robinson`s Dept at the top of North works Yard. They were developing an automatic gearbox for use after the war. I`m not sure where it ended up, but the Metr-Camm-Weighman and the "chasissless" bus came on the scene at the same time post-war.

They were good days, you saw your efforts come to fruition, and there was a lot of pride in working for L.M.Ltd. then.

Another story for another time is Reg Bowmer and his colleagues producing the prototype Turbine engines for Commercial Use, buts that`s for another time.
27-Oct-2006, 12:08 PM

quote:

Originally posted by noel

Is LML Leyland Motors Bill? My mother worked there and was shop steward in the sixties when that strike was on lead by Len Brindle. I remember stories of her meeting Hugh Scanlon in York .
She always voted Tory though, I always found that odd for a shop steward.

[:0]
Wash your mouth out, Noel, mum never voted Tory, that was dad. They used to joke about cancelling out each other's votes.

Bill, mum's name was Florrie Eckton and she worked in the nozzle shop in charge of two automatics. I remember her going to the Houses of Parliament for an overnight meeting about the Parity with the Midlands Strike and she was interviewed on TV. There was a picture of her on page 3 of the Daily Sketch with my daughter, Sonia, who was 6 months old at the time, so it must've been summer of 1969. The Sketch is now The Sun (although not page 3 as we now know it).

I went to one of the Winter Garden's do's, but mainly remember the children's Christmas parties. I got up on stage once and sang Batchelor boy I think I was about 8 or 9 at the time. I also remember the tins of toffee they used to give out to the children and the long tables laid out. I think Noel might have a photograph of one of the parties, or maybe that was at Lowry's. Happy days.

kat
28-Oct-2006, 04:49 PM

I remember the childrens christmas parties for Leyland Motors staff's children. We used to go in the place they knocked down in Thurston Road, they were fabulous. Forgot about them ones.
28-Oct-2006, 09:35 PM

We used to go to the Christmas parties at Thurstan Road Canteen, I always remember the smell of the Christmas Tree. To think that later on I went in there for my dinner and watched Worker`s Playtime, it was a wonderful time then, when everyone was "together" with no petty niggles - we were at war, lets get on with the job. The atmosphere was fantastic, but with rationing and shortages we soon got in the spirit of the day of what you never had, you never missed.

Looking back over 65 years to those days, always poses the question of, was it worth it? That must be the unanswerable question.
12-Dec-2006, 01:47 AM

Anyone know who these guys are?

EDIT - Links deleted for now.