Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hough Lane chemists
quote:

Originally posted by noel

Welcome to the forum Ron. Have you found a chemist where you don't have to wait a long time for them to get your prescription? The one I go to usually takes at least 15 minutes. I swear they must be making the tablets themselves.

The one at seven stars is brilliant. Or they are when I go in
www.leylandminiclub.com - All mini owners/enthusisasts welcome new & old
Why do you go to collect your prescriptions in person anyway? all our local chemists (Dunkirk Lane) run a very efficient, free home delivery service. With repeat prescriptions, they even collect those from the Doctor on your behalf.
Jim
Not that I need a prescription very often, but our doctor's is right next door to the chemist, so it's easy to pop next door with the prescription and they only keep you waiting if there are several prescriptions arriving at the same time.
Normal practice in our neck of the woods is that the prescriber uses a fax or a secure e-mail to send the prescription to the pharmacy. By the time you've driven to the pharmacy, the prescription is ready. The problem then is paying for it!

For both of us, most of our drugs are long-term (blood pressure and cholesterol). I'm on Medicare, the US Government retiree system, with supplementary coverage from my former employer.

In Eileen's case, she's still under Mediacre eleigibiltiy age and is still covered by Boeing retiree insurance, so her stuff is even cheaper to us than mine on Medicare! She'll be on Medicare next September, just before (I think) Boeing is going to pull a big part of the rug out from under the retirees.

For our long-term stuff, our doctor sends in a prescription to the mail order service for a year's worth of meds at a time and we refill every three months as stock runs low, through the medication provider's web site. My co-payment ($10 for 90 days-worth of each medication) is automatically charged to my credit card and the drugs are mailed to me. Eileen's is similar. We spend a lot more on medications for two elderly Labradors and an ancient cat than we do on ourselves!

If we have a short-term requirement for medication, say for an infection, we get the doctor to prescribe the medication, she faxes the prescription to our local pharmacy and we go pick it up 20 minutes later. The pharmacy knows our insurance provider and automatically bills them. We pay the pharmacy for the out-of-pocket part of the cost we're responsible for. Waiting in line for 2 minutes would be unusual, unless we get to the pharmacy too quickly. One latte each at Starbucks is a good timer.

The system works a treat as long as you're not chronically sick and need a lot of high-cost medications. So far so good for us! It can bankrupt you real quick, even if you think you have adequate coverage. I just hope neither of us gets into a serious situation where the treatment is considered "experimental" which the various insurance systems will not pay for.

In the US, medical expenses can quickly run you into personal bankruptcy. In many respects, its a third world system, but much more expensive.

Maybe President Obama will get a few things changed for the better. Sure as hell, President McCain wouldn't - he's more likely to reduce benefits to pay for the 100-year war he's going to wage in Iraq and Afghanistan (and maybe Iran and who knows where else has oil the US wants to buy).

The more I watch US foreign policy, the more I can see the scenario of "The Mouse That Roared".

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Impressed with the new boots chemist from the roadside at least.I wonder if its open to the public upstairs also?
Never had any problems in the old Alliance chemists, however the new Boots one could not cope with demand and had a very rude member of staff dealing with customers.