Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WiFi in Leyland
quote:

Lancashire Evening Post - 26th October 2008

Leyland could be the first town in Lancashire to offer free wireless internet access.

Regeneration bosses are hoping to install the network in the heart of the town centre for businesses, shoppers and residents.

South Ribble Council, which is backing the scheme, believes it will give Leyland a "competitive advantage" over other Lancashire towns by making a "more productive, higher value local economy."

If the £60,000 scheme is given the go-ahead by the council's cabinet, it will be the first town centre in the North West to have its own Wi-Fi network.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/Leyland-to-go-WiFi.4629598.jp

This must be good for business.
Martin ~
How will this work?Will it be in the form of an internet cafe?
I imagine there will be some wireless transmitters along the main shopping area of Leyland. If you have a wireless device, all you will have to do is be within the WiFi area to connext to it.
Martin ~
I wonder what kind of range will be on it?
Glastonbury started a free wifi service in May this year. Although it's free to access the portal page, general web browsing is not. I'm assuming that the same will apply in Leyland.

quote:

The Glastonbury WiFi Project which is being funded by Somerset County Council and the South West Regional Development Agency will allow visitors free access to a town portal. Once beyond the free pages, browsers will be charged a competitive fee for accessing the Internet using the network, with half hourly to monthly packages. Revenue raised will be fed back into maintaining the network, with the aim of it becoming financially self-sustaining.

http://igadgetlife.com/2008/05/11/glastonbury-somersets-first-wifi-town/

I was wondering what sort of content the people of Leyland would want to see on the Leyland Portal?
Martin ~
quote:

Originally posted by Martin

Glastonbury started a free wifi service in May this year. Although it's free to access the portal page, general web browsing is not. I'm assuming that the same will apply in Leyland.

As far as I know, the plan is for full free wifi rather than just a free portal. A free portal with paid wifi (cheap or not) won't position Leyland as a business centre nor give it a competitive advantage.
The scheme will (hopefully) cover from the railway station to the Civic Centre through Hough Lane and Towngate. Obviously coverage will spread into the surrounding streets to varying degrees.

It will be free and a decision on full access or restricted has yet to be made, but there will be no piad for service initially. Costs in the lnger term will be met by paid subscription of business users.

Busineses have reacted well to this and over half the businesses in Hough lane have already signed up to the new Hough lane site thats currently being built.

Any feedback is good.
Thanks for the input Howerd. Do the plans include content for visitors/tourists and WAP content?
Martin ~
No WAP content but the new site and WiFi are to hopefully attract new people. We intend to link the new Heritage trail to the internet as it progresses so that you could get wireless internet information about Leylands heritage as you walk around but that'll be tied to possible future extensiions of the wifi network.
quote:

Margaret's fear of wi-fi 'brain fog'

20 November 2008
By Rachel Dearden
A one-woman campaign is halting plans to introduce free wireless Internet access in a Lancashire town.
Margaret White says South Ribble Council has not considered the health risks before steaming ahead with setting up a wi-fi network across Leyland.

The council believes providing the service will give Leyland a competitive advantage over other towns by making it a "more productive, higher value local economy".

But Mrs White says the electromagnetic emissions can affect people's health, with children particularly vulnerable to radiation.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/Margaret39s-fear-of-wifi-39brain.4716062.jp

I can't say I agree with what she is saying and I don't think her ideas will have a lot of support.
Martin ~