Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Grandfather HELP PLEASE
20-Nov-2008, 03:11 PM
My Grandfather HELP PLEASE
Hi all, I am trying desperately to get information on my [b]Grand Father Herbert Wood born Leyland circa 1896. He lived in Leyland fought during the Great War and in 1919 Married my Grand Mother Amy Parker. They both had a Haulage company Parker & Wood Haulage up until the early 1930's it changed name to Wood & Parker sometime during its life. Herbert and Amy Separated/Divorced in late 1930's and the Company was called Herbert Wood Haulage. I know when my Father was born January 1926 they lived on Church Road near Bent Bridge.
I have been able to trace my Grand mothers Grave to St James Churchyard Moss side, whom is buried in the grounds and commemorated with my Great Uncle Arthur Parker [/b] who was killed serving with The Kings Liverpool Regiment, during the Great War.
I am very interested to find out anything about my Grandfather Herbert Wood as after my Grandmother re-married Robert Haydock, they moved away from Leyland to Godstone in Surrey and I cannot find any information on what happend to my Grandfather. Did he re-marry?? Have I got further Relatives who live in the Leyland area. Alas my Father Arthur Parker Wood died in 1982 after a long illness and I didn't get to ask him all the unanswered questions in life[V]
I would be grateful if anyone can help please, I need help from all who might have anything on my Family and or where my Grandfather is buried etc etc
Kind Regards
Geoff Wood
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
20-Nov-2008, 08:00 PM

The name rings a bell, amidst a few circumstances which I can give you only as a lead to further checks by newspaper archives.

I may be way off the subject, and I have written before on this. So I begin in the wartime years when the young men were "going to the War". At my school pre-war was a lad called Arthur Parker-Wood, of the age you refer. I was born in 1925 and he was in the year after me, and I lived at Bent Bridge from 1930 to 1950.

Arthur went to war and came again into Leyland in the 1940`s as a Wartime Hero, visiting schools to talk about his adventures, and was dressed in Highland dress as a member of a Scottish regiment.

To the dismay of people in the village, his exploits were seen in the local press and checks were made with the Authorities to verify his claims. It was reported at the time that his claims were untrue, and he was taken into Military Custody. From that time on I never heard of him or of his future.

The family he came from were in the transport business, with a garage in Bent Lane, by the bend in the road.

This is as far as I can remember at almost 84yrs, so all I can suggest is that you check with the local press archives of that time to see if you can get further details. It may be that it was someone else - but the facts you give seem to connect with my knowledge of a long time ago. Wish you the best of luck.

W.R.
21-Nov-2008, 10:45 AM

quote:

Originally posted by William R

The name rings a bell, amidst a few circumstances which I can give you only as a lead to further checks by newspaper archives.

I may be way off the subject, and I have written before on this. So I begin in the wartime years when the young men were "going to the War". At my school pre-war was a lad called Arthur Parker-Wood, of the age you refer. I was born in 1925 and he was in the year after me, and I lived at Bent Bridge from 1930 to 1950.

Arthur went to war and came again into Leyland in the 1940`s as a Wartime Hero, visiting schools to talk about his adventures, and was dressed in Highland dress as a member of a Scottish regiment.

To the dismay of people in the village, his exploits were seen in the local press and checks were made with the Authorities to verify his claims. It was reported at the time that his claims were untrue, and he was taken into Military Custody. From that time on I never heard of him or of his future.

The family he came from were in the transport business, with a garage in Bent Lane, by the bend in the road.

This is as far as I can remember at almost 84yrs, so all I can suggest is that you check with the local press archives of that time to see if you can get further details. It may be that it was someone else - but the facts you give seem to connect with my knowledge of a long time ago. Wish you the best of luck.

W.R.

William,
many thanks for your speedy reply to my quest. Yes my Friend your recollections are somewhat correct, as it wasn't until after the death of my Father in 1982 that we found out much about his military career during the War. I personally being ex-Forces myself have an avid interest in the Families Military background and did some research. Dad lied about his age to volunteer into the Army in 1942, he recruited into The Black Watch, and was later found to be to young for active service where he was based at a training camp in Perth Scotland. He did later volunteer into the Airborne forces, where he became a member of the Parachute Regiment. He had the lower part of his right leg blown off on a land mine in the Belgian Ardennes in January 1945, which there ended his career as he was "Blighty" bound to Roehampton Hospital.
There has always been a grey area concerning his younger years and Dad never spoke very much about him growing up. This is why it is so hard for me to get information, as I was lead to believe there was a Family rift after his Parents broke up???
The most strangest thing I have come across in my trawling is his Mother's (Amy Haydock) Parker-Wood death certificate is registered by a C.W Wood (Son), this is puzzling as Dad never spoke of a Brother ever??? Do you know if he was an only Child?? This could reflect on the rift in the Family scene!!!
William, if you can remember anything else as to my Family I would be very grateful, you said you went to the same school as my Dad, which one was that. As I can probably gleen some information from there too. Any idea what happend to the transport business and Herbert my Grand Father?? Please any help would be most appreciated
Again many, many thanks for your quote
My kindest alway
Geoff
21-Nov-2008, 03:16 PM

Hello Geoff, Glad to have been some help to you. To the best of my recall, Arthur was at Leyland Senior school in Yewlands Drive pre-war, which I left in May 1939 to join Leylands in the North Works.

Your mention of the Black Watch ties another end up, and the incident I mentioned was, I believe, just after Dunkirk, which was long before injuries you mention. I vaguely remember these. As I said before - trawl through the local press after Dunkirk. If my memory is right, I believe he came with the D.S.C. and D.S.O. awarded in action. For a local lad at the time this was real James Bond stuff, and the school jumped at the chance to meet the lad who had made good. Sadly untrue, it was followed by other actions which you have filled.

As to what happened to the transport side, I`m a bit lost. Go back with me to 1930`s - from Bent Bridge and down Bent Lane on the railway side was a Bungalow with a Kaiser family and then a pair of semi-det houses in which Harry Hindle lived. He had a Market Garden at the back of the house and sold root vegetables from his store. At the north side of the house, the land continued at the same level and housed a large garage. Bent Lane passed by on the right and fell in a left hand curve (hence Bent Lane). The transport side is hazy, but I recall a blue passenger coach there which brings to mind the name Parkinson. There were vehicles as well, but no knowledge of them.

I know I`m trawling a bit blind, but I lived at No.20 in Bent Lane which was the first house on the right hand side of the road. Somewhere within the Forum we have a lady who was of the Peet family, who lived just below the large garage, on the bend, in one of three houses. She may be able to help.

Sorry I can`t be of greater help, but maybe the facts I`ve given you are of some use. At the end of the day, we are talking about a soldier who did his duty and paid the price for his country. Life is of many colours which fade slowly, memories go with us to the end.

Cheers, W.R.
21-Nov-2008, 04:58 PM

quote:

Originally posted by William R

Hello Geoff, Glad to have been some help to you. To the best of my recall, Arthur was at Leyland Senior school in Yewlands Drive pre-war, which I left in May 1939 to join Leylands in the North Works.

Your mention of the Black Watch ties another end up, and the incident I mentioned was, I believe, just after Dunkirk, which was long before injuries you mention. I vaguely remember these. As I said before - trawl through the local press after Dunkirk. If my memory is right, I believe he came with the D.S.C. and D.S.O. awarded in action. For a local lad at the time this was real James Bond stuff, and the school jumped at the chance to meet the lad who had made good. Sadly untrue, it was followed by other actions which you have filled.

As to what happened to the transport side, I`m a bit lost. Go back with me to 1930`s - from Bent Bridge and down Bent Lane on the railway side was a Bungalow with a Kaiser family and then a pair of semi-det houses in which Harry Hindle lived. He had a Market Garden at the back of the house and sold root vegetables from his store. At the north side of the house, the land continued at the same level and housed a large garage. Bent Lane passed by on the right and fell in a left hand curve (hence Bent Lane). The transport side is hazy, but I recall a blue passenger coach there which brings to mind the name Parkinson. There were vehicles as well, but no knowledge of them.

I know I`m trawling a bit blind, but I lived at No.20 in Bent Lane which was the first house on the right hand side of the road. Somewhere within the Forum we have a lady who was of the Peet family, who lived just below the large garage, on the bend, in one of three houses. She may be able to help.

Sorry I can`t be of greater help, but maybe the facts I`ve given you are of some use. At the end of the day, we are talking about a soldier who did his duty and paid the price for his country. Life is of many colours which fade slowly, memories go with us to the end.

Cheers, W.R.

William,
you have been so helpful I cannot thank you enough, this wealth of information gives me so much to go on. It is nice to know there are People out there who will give up their time to help others[Smile]
I hope that I can find out more on this matter from what you have endowed me with, and I am going to see if I can find Mrs Peet on the forum, "fingers crossed".
To finish off William, my Dad was one of the nicest Men I have ever met, he always laughed through all endeavours in life and was very ill for many years as I grew up. Alas he is no-longer with us but in me he still lives as I am a "chip off the old block" as to coin a phrase[Smile] I think this must be an attribute to Leylanders, as I have visited there two years ago with my Sister to try to find information on our For Fathers and everyone we encountered in Leyland were so kind and helpful...
I am indebted to you for your help, I hope I can get further and find what happend to my Grand Father Herbert??
Your friend
Geoff
13-Jan-2011, 03:08 PM

I think Herbert Wood might be my great Uncle, his siter Ann Wood was my grand mother. Still digging up lots of stuff which I am happy to share.

f.j runciman
13-Jan-2011, 10:12 PM

During the early part of WW2 (1942) I was a member of the Air Training Corps and we used to have our sessions at Leyland Senior School during evening classes, it was during one class that the Squadron Leader came into class with a Scottish Soldier in full Highland Dress, he was wearing an RAF Pilots wings along with a couple of medals. The following week an article in the Evening paperreported that this Soldier had been the chief guest aqt Eccleston Wings for Victory national savings week and had been an imposter. I am thinking that this may have been the person in the frame.
11-Apr-2011, 04:28 PM

Hi

have you managed to find anything elso on herbert Wood, I think he was my great uncle, and would liek to share information

f.j runciman