Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Developer pulls out
Leyland Guardian

17 December 2008
By Sam Chadderton

Ambitious plans to create the flagship development of Leyland's regeneration have sensationally collapsed.

Almost a year after the Guardian first revealed the multi-million pound pub, fast food restaurant, offices and homes scheme for the derelict Hulmes Mill site, developer Wainvale has pulled the plug.

The news will come as a massive blow to South Ribble Borough Council, who had hoped the proposals would pave the way for its long-awaited Leyland Masterplan.

Read more...
Martin ~
I think the local residents would be quite pleased though. Imagine the noise and smell with a KFC or other take-away.
I've never heard of Hulmes Mill. I looked on Google Earth to find St. Andrew's Way and I understand it's the road that goes from the lights at the old stub of Sandy Lane along what was Eden St. (where the prefabs were) and then meets up to Towngate at the Library, just north of Spring Gardens.

The only sites I found in the area that could have been a "Mill" were the old Tomlinson's shop just up Church Road from the Cross or the old Tomlinson's sawmill on the corner of Eden St. and what is now the western end of St. Andrew's Way. It was a dirt road in those days. The sawmill burned down when I was about 10 - lit up the whole of the southern side of town and cracked all the windows in the front of that old church on the corner of Liege Road.

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who'd never heard of it but as I understand it, it's the waste land behind the old library between Eden Street and the library. It's the only waste land around there to my knowledge.
I remember that fire when I lived in Spring Gardens. It was the wood yard behind the old police station/library.
Martin ~
Margaret remembers the mill as Holmes Mill but said it was always boarded up as long as she knew of it.
I don't know Audrey but I do remember a fire back in the 70's
Martin ~
The big fire at Tomlinson's yard must have been 1949 or 50, because we were still living at the Beech Avenue house. We moved to 7 Church Road in 1951, I think.

Unless there was a second fire at that site in 1970, the Tomlinson's fire you remember, Martin, may have been at at the King St yard, later C.W. Berry's. That was quite a blaze, too and it threatened Leyland Garage's service and repair premises on Vevey Street for a while.

Maybe Holmes or Hulmes rebuilt the facility on St. Andrew's Way after the Tomlinson's fire and it burned again in 1970. It would have been known as Tomlinson's Mill otherwise. We were in Seattle by then and didn't have the kind of communications we enjoy today, so we may not have heard about it.

Frank
When was the Woolworths fire? Also then was the fire at Worden Hall?
Actually, Dedrah, the fire at "Woolworths" was at the Regent Cinema. After all the insurance was settled the owners of the property sold it to Woolworth's who built their store on the site. I think they totally demolished the old Regent except for its front facade.

I don't think there was another fire before Woolworth's abandoned Leyland and sold the property to KwikSave. What's in there now?

My guess would be that the Regent Fire was 1950-ish.

Worden Hall fire was in a similar time-frame, maybe 1948-9. I'm sure the Historical Society has details of that one.

Frank