Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FARINGTON PRIMARY SCHOOL
06-Oct-2017, 10:45 PM
RE: FARINGTON PRIMARY SCHOOL
(13-May-2003 11:30 AM)noel Wrote:  Yes it was hard, I remember getting some food rations from I think South Africa or Australia, a tin of fruit and other bits and bobs, I guess it would be around 1953, maybe something to do with the coronation? As to the boiler problems we always had problems in winter but the school closed. Can't remember being sent into playground. Mrs Porter was second year , the bottom corridor was for infants and the top one for juniors. Miss Sharpe 3rd year then Rimmer was first class "upstairs", Pickburn next then Kite then Pop Sefton . I remember Atky had a handicapped child who used to chase us round the playground. Like father ........

I was there a year behind you Noel......I remember you there but not at Balshaws. Mr Rimmer used to smoke in the class and send one of us out to the papershop if he ran out of cigs! Do you recall Mr Atkinson coming into a class and taking over to run a quickfire sums or spelling test? His son was David I think. I'm John Whitehead (we had a shop on Preston Rd).
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-Oct-2017, 05:29 PM
Hi John yes I remember you though I don't think we ever talked. Where abouts was your shop, I'm guessing near Crooks chemist? . I used to do my best to wind miss pickburn up, usually getting sent out of the class. Then along the corridor would come Atky who'd drag you back to his room and out with the cane. He used to wait by the cloakroom door at end of playtimes and the last boy in got caned. Such a lovely man. I remember having to do reading tests in Atkys office as well as the spelling.
08-Oct-2017, 09:51 PM
(07-Oct-2017 05:29 PM)noel Wrote:  Hi John yes I remember you though I don't think we ever talked. Where abouts was your shop, I'm guessing near Crooks chemist? . I used to do my best to wind miss pickburn up, usually getting sent out of the class. Then along the corridor would come Atky who'd drag you back to his room and out with the cane. He used to wait by the cloakroom door at end of playtimes and the last boy in got caned. Such a lovely man. I remember having to do reading tests in Atkys office as well as the spelling.

You're right Noel - our shop was in that row, next to the Boundary St end. It's now half of a big cycle shop I believe.
I used to be overawed by the African spears, shields and swordfish 'swords' high up on the wall in Atky's office. Wonder if he mellowed in later years.....
08-Oct-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm trying to remember the Boundary Street area. Was there a motorcycle shop on one corner? I put my Ariel Leader in as a consignment sale there, but I thought that was on the Leyland side of Boundary St. I remember a chippy on the Farington side. This is on the side where traffic towards Preston goes. On the Leyland-bound traffic side, I remember a builder's yard just in Farington.

Was there a street directly opposite? Maybe I've mis-remembered which was Boundary Street, which I thought marked the Leyland/Farington border! Memories tend to get blurred after 45 years (48 years since we moved to the Midlands).

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
10-Oct-2017, 11:26 PM
(08-Oct-2017 11:13 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  I'm trying to remember the Boundary Street area. Was there a motorcycle shop on one corner? I put my Ariel Leader in as a consignment sale there, but I thought that was on the Leyland side of Boundary St. I remember a chippy on the Farington side. This is on the side where traffic towards Preston goes. On the Leyland-bound traffic side, I remember a builder's yard just in Farington.

Was there a street directly opposite? Maybe I've mis-remembered which was Boundary Street, which I thought marked the Leyland/Farington border! Memories tend to get blurred after 45 years (48 years since we moved to the Midlands).

Frank
Hello Frank
Yes there was a motor bike shop on the 'Leyland corner' of the street, T&D motorcycles, and our hardware shop was next. On the other corner of the street was Pickups chippy and then Herbert Wadges grocers.
Directly opposite Boundary St was Derby St with a co-op on the corner. The builders yard I think was Tomlinsons.....though my memory might be failing there!
11-Oct-2017, 03:34 PM
Thanks, John. It's comforting to know my memory is still functional! I'm surprised not to remember a hardware shop, as my family was in that business - George Damp & Sons at 143 Towngate. The two males in my generation had no interest in taking it over when my Dad's generation approached retirement. I'd taken college to get a B.Sc. in engineering and was working in Coventry and my cousin Michael had got a job as a metallurgist and was in Yorkshire. My wife and I and our two children emigrated to the US in July 1968.

The business was liquidated and the premises sold. It eventually became a row of smaller businesses, and the auto repair and paint shop in the back yard were demolished. My last trip to Leyland was about 12 years ago, so the whole building may be gone now for all I know.

I retired from Boeing in 1998 and we moved to a small seaside town in the northern part of Washington State, called Anacortes. My sister, Jean, still lives in Leyland. My brother Colin lives in Plymouth.

Frank Damp
11-Oct-2017, 09:53 PM
(11-Oct-2017 03:34 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  Thanks, John. It's comforting to know my memory is still functional! I'm surprised not to remember a hardware shop, as my family was in that business - George Damp & Sons at 143 Towngate. The two males in my generation had no interest in taking it over when my Dad's generation approached retirement. I'd taken college to get a B.Sc. in engineering and was working in Coventry and my cousin Michael had got a job as a metallurgist and was in Yorkshire. My wife and I and our two children emigrated to the US in July 1968.

The business was liquidated and the premises sold. It eventually became a row of smaller businesses, and the auto repair and paint shop in the back yard were demolished. My last trip to Leyland was about 12 years ago, so the whole building may be gone now for all I know.

I retired from Boeing in 1998 and we moved to a small seaside town in the northern part of Washington State, called Anacortes. My sister, Jean, still lives in Leyland. My brother Colin lives in Plymouth.

Frank Damp

Was the business on Towngate in the old James Sumner smithy Frank?
That's certainly still there.
Did your family have the garage/petrol station on the triangle between Canberra Rd and Turpin Green Lane?
John
12-Oct-2017, 07:09 PM
John:

Answers are "yes" to both your questions. The old smithy at the north end of the building and the family house that's at the other end were part of our business premises. There was also a wooden building at the south end of the backyard that housed an auto paint-shop and a large building behind he shop which housed our auto repair business. Interesting that the shop and smithy still there. I think the others were demolished at some point.

Is the facility a series of smaller businesses? I think there was a women's fitness centre on the upper floor at one time.

Frank
12-Oct-2017, 08:55 PM
(12-Oct-2017 07:09 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  John:

Answers are "yes" to both your questions. The old smithy at the north end of the building and the family house that's at the other end were part of our business premises. There was also a wooden building at the south end of the backyard that housed an auto paint-shop and a large building behind he shop which housed our auto repair business. Interesting that the shop and smithy still there. I think the others were demolished at some point.

Is the facility a series of smaller businesses? I think there was a women's fitness centre on the upper floor at one time.

Frank
I don't know what's in the old building at the moment Frank - I live 200 miles away now and only get back to Leyland occasionally. I was last there in July and drove past it then (I was showing my partner the delights of my home town!).
My next visit will be in November so I'll let you know.
John
13-Oct-2017, 04:41 PM
if you click on the link Frank it should take you to approximately where I remember Damps shop. Pearsons butchers were nearby the boundary st. chippy. And the street opposite Boundary st. still has Leyland and Farington social club and the order of the oddfellows. Not sure if that's still going but my uncle at the time was a keen member. The Co-op also had a store facing Boundary St. and I remember Slaters garage selling petrol at 3/9d a gallon.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.693673...312!8i6656