Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A bit of fun
To be honest, Frank, I don't care how free or good they are. Or, indeed, what you have to pay. If they provide someone somewhere with enjoyment, that's good enough.

On the other hand, the essence of a site like this is that it will inevitably entail more effort than posting a link to an automated or plagiarised source of "stuff".

Martin's effort was good for many reasons, but especially because it was individually prepared, rather than merely copied or linked.

I know that the time taken to prepare this sort of stuff is out of all proportion to the reward (why d'you think the papers automate it?), and I'd also hazard a guess that even if we paid a single person something for their efforts, they probably wouldn't have time to do it justice. If hosting costs and the like are an issue, why not go for donations or affiliates to defray?

I guess, though, in real terns, what is required is more elbow grease... and reading between the lines, that may not have been readily forthcoming.

But, if extra resources available, what would people like to see? A Leyland quiz, diary, picture page, "letter from" column?

Happy to help, but definitely averse to a "links" site Smile
Dave
quote:

Originally posted by dedwardsa

But, if extra resources available, what would people like to see? A Leyland quiz, diary, picture page, "letter from" column?

Happy to help, but definitely averse to a "links" site Smile

It's funny you should mention having a quiz. I have a little piece of software to host a quiz too [Wink] It's one of the many open source freebies that I downloaded a while ago. When I have the time, I will give it a go..
Martin ~
quote:

Originally posted by Martin

I have a little piece of software to host a quiz too [Wink]

<fx: bangs head gently on desk> I thought perhaps that just letting people chip in answers on a few questions might stimulate participation. Scoreboards, fastest finger first, and stuff could come later. Have you got a .wav of a cough? Just a thought Smile
Dave
Keep up the good work Martin, I have to say that because I know that I could not do what you do[8)] I like the new layout and the crossword is fine.
Vanessa
I haven't solved one clue yet. Guess the only crossword I understand is Margaret when she gets angry. There again, what man ever understood what goes on in a woman's mind.:-)
I think a few of us are a bit down at the moment Martin. The forum brings people together, in laughter and in tears.
quote:

Originally posted by noel

I haven't solved one clue yet. ...... I think a few of us are a bit down at the moment Martin. The forum brings people together, in laughter and in tears.

Eeeeh, Noel! I had a look at the crossword one night when I couldn't sleep and even [i]I
managed to get a few answers and I'm not from Leyland, so I don't know what some of the clues are getting at. Get yer thinkin' cap on!

As for being a bit down, yes, you're right there. But I've decided it's time I restored a little normality. I've been very touched by all the good wishes I've received from forum members - it has[/i] brought people together, so keep up the good work, Martin!
Thanks folks... I am thinking of introducing a pay per clue feature to the crossword [Wink]

Do you have a credit card Noel?
Martin ~
quote:

Originally posted by Martin

Thanks folks... I am thinking of introducing a pay per clue feature to the crossword [Wink]

Do you have a credit card Noel?

Wish I only had the one Martin. [Smile]
Had great fun doing the crossword Martin, Have finally managed to complete it, with a bit of help.

Eileen
Whoooh! Well done! Does Eileen get a prize, Martin?