Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Winter Project.
03-Oct-2010, 09:04 AM

Sandy,
I couldn`t agree more regarding Lego. In fact ,I am STILL making use of it 60 years on![8D]
The tracks and rollers on this 1922 steam shovel, are the standard (bright yellow) Lego issue - very cheap, courtesy of eBay. (suitably modified , of course).
[Image: Eari100.jpg]

It`s a great present for ANY child (you would be surprised at the number of lady model truck builders there are on the various forums.
Lego (for a young person)teaches not only manual dexterity, but also stretches the mind and imagination.
(regarding imagination - the gear wheel that the shovel cab revolves on is an - Ovaltine jar lid[^])

Jim
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-Oct-2010, 03:00 AM

My Triumph is a 1979 Bonneville, kick start. It always starts first or second kick. I had another in top condition that I lost in Katrina. This one is all original except for the silencers which are for a 1971 model which sound a lot better [more roarty], I have the originals though.
I run it on a mixture of 100 octane Avgas and 93,the highest available at the pumps. The 100 octane stuff I get from my local airport. The last time I got some was a bit of a laugh, I lined up at the pump with my 5 gallon can behind 2 Cessnas
I bought the bike in 2006 with 4200 miles on it. One owner. The only things I've done to it is add a proper oil filter kit and replaced an oil seal behind the clutch. Also, I replaced all the rubber hydraulic lines and seals as a safety precaution. It had new tyres when I got it. It is over 30 years old so rubber perishes.
It's worth about $6000. Spares are easy to get and not expensive, not that I've needed much.
John
04-Oct-2010, 05:05 PM

John .... I love the mental picture of you and your can
lining up with the Cessnas!!

Definately started my day off right!![Big Grin]

T. D.
23-Sep-2011, 08:08 PM

now I have more time in my retirement I paint, carve stone to make garden ornaments, and carve wood, both wood, old olive wood is ideal, and as much stone as I need is laying around on the roadside here on Crete,, a very creative hobby and very theraputic. My tools are stone and wood chisels and a dremal grinder.

djh
25-Sep-2011, 04:57 AM

John:

I'm glad to see you were able to replace your Bonnie with something roughly equivalent. As an ex-Norton engineer, I get these occasional longings to get a Commando. Then I remember what it took to kick start one of those beasties and my decision not to go there is reinforced. At 70 (yesterday) I can't see kicking one of those things to life as a regular activity!

A street-legal AJS Stormer (another project I worked on at Norton-Villiers) might be a different story. It would still be a challenge for me to ride a bike on the "wrong" side of the street. When driving a car, the fact that you're sitting on the opposite side is a powerful stimulus. Even after 43 years in the US, I'm not sure I could repress the "opposite side" syndrome on a bike.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
02-Jun-2013, 08:58 AM
RE: My Winter Project.
Although some time has elapsed since I posted my last build, I have not been idle and indeed have have three of my trucks published in TMW (truck model world - with a global circulation) over the last 18 months.
I was obviously quite chuffed about this, especially as they had approached me in the first instance with requests for articles.
[Image: 2006_0108FL0013.jpg]

[Image: 2006_0703PumpDone0012-Copy_zpsf7f5e752.jpg]

[Image: 2006_0120platform0009.jpg]

[Image: 2006_0228platform0004.jpg]

Jim
02-Jun-2013, 10:01 AM
Wow! Fantastic!
02-Jun-2013, 01:23 PM
(02-Jun-2013 01:08 PM)audpluswesties Wrote:  I remember you using a net from fruit on a skip (I think it was a skip) as one of your inspired ideas Wink

Well remembered AudreyRolleyes Marjorie now throws NOTHING of any possible use away but instead leaves it all in a pile for me to sort through.
An example would be the mesh cage on the Cherry Picker photo rescued from an old flour sieve.Tongue

Jim
14-Aug-2013, 04:32 PM
I began this on 1st December and completed it today. Where on earth does the time go to?

[Image: 2006_0930LeylandConcrete0002_zps9f989a79.jpg]

[Image: 2006_0930LeylandConcrete00101-0_zps53d91f69.jpg]

Jim
15-Aug-2013, 03:39 AM
Concrete pumpers like your model are regular sights around here, Jim. All the houses in this part of the US are of wooden construction mounted on a concrete foundation. Since we're in quite hilly country (a ridge goes up 400 ft or so a couple of blocks behind our house), it's often difficult for the mixer trucks to get onto the house-site, so they use the pumpers to get the concrete where it needs to be.

Our neighborhood was first laid out in the late 1950's, intended to be a community of vacation homes. Back then Anacortes had a population of only about 3,000. Now it's pushing towards 20,000 with some industry in town (ship building and other marine-related stuff) and a lot of commuters going to work elsewhere. It's also a major retirement community (which is why we're here).

Gorgeous scenery, a very equable climate and extremely friendly people make it a very pleasant place. Today was "humid" by local standards (about 68F and 40%, but with around 70% cloud cover). Summer should be back on Friday (clear skies, 70 degrees or so and 25% humidity).

My sister says it's the only place we've live in the US where she's jealous that we're here. She also says it's "Where God goes on his holidays".

For those of you that read romance-oriented novels, the author Kristen Hannah lives on one of the San Juan islands, just a shortish ferry ride away. Also the historical novelist, William Dietrich, lives somewhere in our neighborhood.

Frank