Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Winter Project.
15-Aug-2013, 08:00 AM
RE: My Winter Project.
Well done Jim, your patience and perseverance are to be admired!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
15-Aug-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm speechless looking at those models, incredible achievement.
15-Aug-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks a lot for the kind remarks. This is going to be my next build, to supply concrete to the pump I`ve just completed.

ETC (estimated time of completion) is April/May next year, with a bit of luck and a fair breeze.

[Image: e6856b36-2042-4048-be5f-0e429a78be07_zpsf7703111.jpg]

Jim
16-Aug-2013, 12:42 AM
(15-Aug-2013 09:05 AM)Spitfire Wrote:  Thanks a lot for the kind remarks. This is going to be my next build, to supply concrete to the pump I`ve just completed.

ETC (estimated time of completion) is April/May next year, with a bit of luck and a fair breeze.

[Image: e6856b36-2042-4048-be5f-0e429a78be07_zpsf7703111.jpg]

Will you be using an empty squeezy bottle for the distribution thingy mi jig ! Big Grin

Gotta admit your models are impressive Jim ! Do you remember me mentioning the Tonka toys ? Well I got 5 of them all original die cast or whatever the production method but they are NOT plastic as they are these days ! How do you fancy restoring them ? I will provide the materials and I will compensate you for your time ( Negotiations abound ! ) But I would love to see these original toys restored to their respective former glories ! Many thanks for your advice when I originally posted about them but I have no patience for stuff like that, what was I thinking ! Huh
16-Aug-2013, 06:02 AM
That should be another fascinating project, Jim. I wish I had the skill and patience to do anything even remotely close. Do you build entirely from scratch or start off with a basic truck model?

I did some flying scale aero-modelling in my teens, mainly control-line (brick on a string) WW2 models, including some twin-engine bombers, but nothing as spectacular as what you do. My most ambitious was an A-26 Invader USAF bomber.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
16-Aug-2013, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 16-Aug-2013 08:43 AM by Spitfire.)
I do as much scratch building as possible Frank and although I use an off the shelf kit for the cab and chassis, they never remain unaltered. I usually reduce the cab from sleeper to day type and convert from LH to RH drive and quite often extend the chassis length and add extra axles as required.

Thanks for the kind remarks Phil - we try!!!AngryTongue

As for the Tonka toys, I have never done commission work, simply because I don`t have the skills to `restore them to their former glory` and also the customer usually doesn`t have any idea what the final cost will be and listening to some of the tales from friends who do commissions, they are quite shocked once they find out.
Assuming your five are different colours, you are looking at over £40 for spray paint and that`s before you blink.

Having said that, I`d be happy to have a look and put you into the picture regarding what I could offer you.

Labour charges wouldn`t apply as I only build for fun.

Jim
16-Aug-2013, 09:39 AM
(16-Aug-2013 08:24 AM)Spitfire Wrote:  I do as much scratch building as possible Frank and although I use an off the shelf kit for the cab and chassis, they never remain unaltered. I usually reduce the cab from sleeper to day type and convert from LH to RH drive and quite often extend the chassis length and add extra axles as required.

Thanks for the kind remarks Phil - we try!!!AngryTongue

As for the Tonka toys, I have never done commission work, simply because I don`t have the skills to `restore them to their former glory` and also the customer usually doesn`t have any idea what the final cost will be and listening to some of the tales from friends who do commissions, they are quite shocked once they find out.
Assuming your five are different colours, you are looking at over £40 for spray paint and that`s before you blink.

Having said that, I`d be happy to have a look and put you into the picture regarding what I could offer you.

Labour charges wouldn`t apply as I only build for fun.

I am off to Scotland for the weekend so I will contact you on my return. The trucks are all the same colour ( 'Tonka' yellow and a couple have some black bits ! ) Cheers for your interest Jim ! Smile