Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Music Notes
17-Apr-2009, 11:25 PM
Music Notes
This is a topic I've wanted to start for a while, and as a music thread hijacked another ..
Now, this is a call to us older (no, not old, but mature like good wine!) members. Did anyone see the Beatles at Southport or Preston in the early Sixties? Or anywhere else?
And what sort of music did/do Forum members listen to, or go to see?
Did anyone dance to David John and the Mood at Leyland Public Hall?
Or go to Rivington Barn on Saturday night?
Filmoss, glad to hear you like The Fall- there's one other person at least, then! I've even seen them here in Brittany, where there was a small crowd specially come over from Manchester.
We won tickets to see Morrissey at the BBC in February!

http://artistsmock.blogspot.com/
http://www.artistsmock.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
18-Apr-2009, 12:38 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Caroline

And what sort of music did/do Forum members listen to, or go to see?

I have been to very few live gigs - a combination of my meagre funds in my youth going on theatre or ballet performances and not finding out bands were appearing until tickets had sold out. I don't like not being able to hear for 12 hours afterwards either!
My musical tastes at present favour rock and indie, but I will listen to most things except soul and rap.
Find all posts by this user
18-Apr-2009, 05:01 AM

Yep .. Beatles at the Floral Hall,
I'm not sure but I think The Renagades
opened for them once.

Ringo with Rory Storm at Butlins.

The Beatles at the Cavern (I lived near to
and got the bus at Penny Lane) 1957 -1962.

Rivington Barn was FREEZING in the Winter.

T.D.

T. D.
18-Apr-2009, 06:01 AM

At Balshaw's, Stan Black used to organise trips to Preston whenever the Halle or Liverpool Philharmonic were on. My interest was Trad Jazz, so my visits to live events were for Chris Barber and Acker Bilk.

I do remember, as a student at RCAT Salford, seeing the very first TV appearance by the Beatles. A classmate came in to class on the Monday previous to their debut, raving about a group that had performed at their church youth club the previous Friday. He really pushed for all of us in the class to go the following Friday, as the group was supposed to return. The day after the Beatles TV appearance he announced that the group at the youth club was the Beatles and they had cancelled their follow-up appearance. When we toured Granada Studios many years ago, the set they used for that show was on the tour.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
18-Apr-2009, 02:33 PM

I never did see the Beatles. I know you will find this hard to believe but I was busy with life and work and they where just in the background.

I love a varied type of music. Country, Classical here are a few of my selections.

The Choirboys, All Angels, Russell Watson, Bryan Ferry, Josh Turner, Rod Stewart, Will Martin, Blake, Il Divo, Grimethorpe Colliery Band, and Max Bygraves.SingaLongaWarYears. Favourite Television and Radio Themes..... You Did ask......
18-Apr-2009, 02:37 PM

I don't think I was very with it back in the 60's more of a square [:0] the only thing I remember doing was going to a club called the "Tuning Fork Club" in Chester and listening to Folk Music....[Sad]
18-Apr-2009, 04:21 PM

Karen, you must have seen Ringo with Rory Storm at Pwllheli in 1960/61/62- Ringo joined the Beatles in August '62.
http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1960/...ringo.html
How lucky you were to see them at the Cavern! Mum and Dad wouldn't let me go, nor to Rivington Barn which they though a bit rough.
I did see them at the Odeon, Southport in August '63- you must've seen them in the April.
Muffers- The Tuning Fork sounds a good club, despite the name!- Simon and Garfunkel played there in '65.
I was into Trad as well and went to the Clitheroe Jazz Festival and to the Folk Club at The Lamb in Preston. Still have sketches I did then, featuring pint glasses and guitars!

18-Apr-2009, 04:51 PM

I know my wife went to see The Beatles in Preston in the early sixties before we met but I was more interested in girls, golf and playing folk guitar in those days. I remember going to the Public Hall dances a few times but can't remember who was playing, too long ago. There were a few Leyland groups in those days who played locally.
I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg late into the night, Gino Washington and his Ramjam band, Billy Fury, Marty Wilde, anything pop.
Later folk music, Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary. Early seventies Guild Hall to see Leo Sayer, Moody Blues, Shadows' Hank Marvin, Floral Hall- Blue Jays ( Justin Hayward/John Lodge). Saw Guns N Roses late eighties at Milton Keyne Bowl, now this year to show how I have aged and I am almost ashamed to say this but here goes, we have tickets for Sir Cliff and The Shadows at MEN in October, mainly argued for by my wife who has seen him live several times but I am a big fan of The Shadows so here's hoping Cliff ain't on for long. It is supposed to be their last tour.
My favourite singer though and has been since 1970 is Leonard Cohen. His voice is much deeper now but the words are deep too.
18-Apr-2009, 09:25 PM

I saw Cliff and the Shadows around 60/61, Blackpool. I wouldn't have chosen to go myself but my friend's parents got tickets. I've never liked Cliff's voice and preferred Elvis On the same bill- Mr.Pastry!
Leonard Cohen (Happy Len, we call him) would be much more preferable... one of my favourite clips of him is doing 'Dance 'til the End of Time' on the Jools Holland Show.
Radio Luxembourg's reception faded in and out- frustratingly, but it was always clear for the Adverts...'Keynsham, spelt K..E..Y..N...S..H..A..M' and Proplus.
First record I owned- Elvis's Golden Records.
First one bought- Jimmy Jones' 'Handyman'.
Anyone else? Don't be shy!

18-Apr-2009, 10:30 PM

First record. Dragnet by Ted Heath (drove my parents crazy with it). As a matter of interest, played it on a portable record player bought off Roy Barraclough.

If you like going down memory lane (music wise), I can`t recommend anything better than, `Spotify`. If you remember - we were given the link a few weeks ago. It`s the best music site BY A COUNRTY MILE. Simply type in the artist, name of the tune, or even a line out of the lyrics and you are playing the track within seconds. If you havn`t tried it yet, please do so. I PROMISE you that you won`t be disappointed.

Jim