Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I lived in Ryden Avenue...
Where did my reply go to, Martin. I asked Linda if she ever had any of the root. And suffered the consequences? Wuilliam R.
I don't know Bill... It could be floating somewhere in virtual space.
Martin ~
Thanks for the link, Caroline, now I have the answer to my question! Interesting work you are doing and what the site shows, your paintings are appealing. My stuff is mostly watercolors of the west and just done for a hobby; I have given several to relatives and wonder where to store the rest! Friend of ours is an artists and has found a gimmick that he finds has brought him more income than he ever imagined! His site is www.hauntedstudio.com - you may find it interesting.
BillR
quote:

Originally posted by William R

Where did my reply go to, Martin. I asked Linda if she ever had any of the root. And suffered the consequences? Wuilliam R.

Yes, BIll, I've chewed on licquorice root in my time, but only in moderation, so it's never given me the runs! LOL!
Boy, the liquorice root seems to have put everyone off! And I figured it would be parched peas...
Anyone recall Chalenor's chemists on Towngate? Or knew Harold Chalenor? He was a friend based upon swing music of which we were both enthusiasts. We had a room at Fox Lane School Youth Club with a record player and made the joint jump! Someone posted a notice over the door "Nuthouse" and we retained it to post in the same place at every session...
BillR
Linda D, We had a bit of licquorice when we were young to keep us going - but I remember being given brimstone and treacle every Spring for something or other. That was sulphur powder mixed uo with black treacle, Anybody know why.. We also used to collect new stinging nettles and have them stewed, and dandelion leaves and nastursium leaves in salad, the first was bitter and the second was peppery. Good for the blood, we were told. Step mum used to go to Yates`s Wine Lodge for wine "bottoms" and we had that mixed with Bovril as a tonic. We had a block of alum for if we got a mouth ulcer, chip a bit off and hold it on the ulcer with your tongue, and it worked. No, we didn`t have a black cat, and I didn`t see her with a black pointed hat on either, but we had a big cooking pot. Cheerio from over the Pennines, William R
quote:

Originally posted by William R

That was sulphur powder mixed uo with black treacle, Anybody know why..

It was to purify your blood...... leastways that's what Grandad told me when he insisted I take sulphur tablets when I had recurrent styes when I was about 11. They tasted foul so I used to just suck 'em long enough to stain my tongue, then go and spit them down the toilet! [xx(]

Grandad was a big believer in home remedies (I guess you had to be if you came from a generation before the NHS came into being). My poor father had it rough as a child - had to drink senna pod tea every Saturday night (whether he'd "been" or not!) and swallow a teaspoonful of Vaseline to "lubricate his tubes" - gross or what?
Used to have sulphur powder poured into my throat for sore throat, horrible stuff and who knows it it worked! Rememdies or tonics like Scott's Emulsion, California Syrup of Figs, Virol... were popular patent medicines. Cod liver oil was considered a fortifier and was incorporated with sweet things like 'malt' to make it palatable. Things have really not changed much even if quackery concoctions have; look at the herbal and 'natural' remedies none of which have been clinically tested, but are touted as good for all kinds of unspecified conditions. I refer to 'health food' items like glucosamine, St. Johns Wort, Ginko Biloba etc... We are too ready to believe when promised panaceas!
BillR
quote:

Originally posted by Bill Rigby

look at the herbal and 'natural' remedies none of which have been clinically tested,

Clinical tests:
http://www.paracelsian.com/biofit/st_johnswort.shtml Scroll down to the list of papers in respected journals.
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/pdfreq.cfm?PATH_INFO=/journals/pspi/pdf/pspi311.pdf&VARACTION=GO&CFID=1620758&CFTOKEN=76807967 Doesn't come out highly in favour of ginko biloba, but it's certainly been tested!
http://www.arthritisinformation.net/Glucosamine/Technical/page2.htm

Sorry, Bill, but you'll find there are clinical trials going on for most of what you refer to as 'health food' items.
My wife has arthritis Bill and finds Glocosamine Sulphate gives her some relief. I remember as a child we had a daily dose of Cod Liver Oil and Malt, loved it.