Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I lived in Ryden Avenue...
St. John's Wort has come under severe attack in the US for its side effects withoiut having any proven efficacy over ethical pharmaceuticals. I read your link reference, for which thanks, but the references quoted cannot be followed in the text; most are from journals whose peer review stadrads are questionable. It is difficult to know exactly what the BMJ article had to say.
The Ginko Bilboa article says it all "A cognitive enhancer?" Note the question mark!
As for the Glucosamine studies, they are inconclusive for the most part even with standards of criteria that are very subjective.
Noel: I appreciate the note of the benefit your wife feels she obtains; unfortunately anecdotal evidence is, I am sorry to say, worthless.
Having once worked for a phramaceutical company and involved in double blind trials, I can assure you there are some astonishing results from placebos! I recall a radio opaque medium that caused no allergic reactions in a large group of patients, but the placebo - sterilized water - put two patients into anaphylactic shock! Go figure...

I note several of the 'clinical trials' were carried out in Germany; herbal and 'natural' medicine has far looser controls and strictures than in most other developed countries, as incidentally does Switzerland. The latter even allows 'layers on of hands' to practise with impunity.
BillR
quote:

Originally posted by Bill Rigby

It is difficult to know exactly what the BMJ article had to say.
The Ginko Bilboa article says it all "A cognitive enhancer?" Note the question mark!
As for the Glucosamine studies, they are inconclusive for the most part even with standards of criteria that are very subjective.

I note several of the 'clinical trials' were carried out in Germany; herbal and 'natural' medicine has far looser controls and strictures than in most other developed countries, as incidentally does Switzerland.

Bill, I didn't say I was in favour of these alternative medicines (though I think some have their place for some people), I was merely responding to your assertion that none had been clinically tested. I did post that the studies didn't come out in favour - esp ginko biloba - but there have been studies.

The BMJ reference is available online: bmj.com Linde et al. 313 (7052): 253
quote:

Originally posted by LDunlop76

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Rigby

It is difficult to know exactly what the BMJ article had to say.

I note several of the 'clinical trials' were carried out in Germany; herbal and 'natural' medicine has far looser controls and strictures than in most other developed countries, as incidentally does Switzerland.

Bill, I didn't say I was in favour of these alternative medicines (though I think some have their place for some people), I was merely responding to your assertion that none had been clinically tested. I did post that the studies didn't come out in favour - esp ginko biloba - but there have been studies.

The BMJ reference is available online: http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/313/7052/253?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&author1=linde+k&searchid=1056032302553_8119&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&tdate=6/30/1997&resourcetype=1,2,3,4,10&journalcode=bmj

Thanks, Wiganer, was not 'attacking' you and hope it did not so appear. I guess I should be more careful when I make an assertion that applies principally to the US! Just shows how insular one can become in an insular environment.
BillR
Bill I think if it works for one-self as in the case of my wife and Glocosamine, why knock it?
Whoooops! Looks like I clicked on "quote" when I meant to hit "edit"! (Because the original link didn't work) Apologies for the double post, folks!

Bill, your posts did come across as a little abrasive, but then my replies have been nitpicky! Yes, the US can be rather insular - an old school friend of mine now living in Tennessee relies on English papers online and email to notify her of UK news because there's so little overseas news in the US media. Thank goodness the internet allows access to global information!
quote:

Originally posted by rocketmanjohn

Yes indeed ,there was a whole estate of prefabs, I used to deliver newspapers every morning for the news agent on Bent Lane, was it Roberts? The pay for five mornings was 5 shillings. I always dreaded magazine day, the weight was terrific for puny little me.
John

Hi Barb,

Welcome .. talk to you soon.

Love Karen.
T. D.
Hi I di remember you from scool with most off the mames you mentioned
it is a very longtime ago' but its good to know that their are at least a few off us old people still alive .The last time i was in leyland 'i saw c bibby who was in the same class as myself . I could not beleive just how mutch the old place had changed since i left in 1953. I hope that you will reply to this at some time or other
YOUR'S LES WALTOM
Hi John, Welcome to our little band. I too left Leyland in early 1950 being newly married, and told by the Housing Office at Leyland that to qualify for a Council House I should have children. Duly obliging, I went back and said I had one child now, how about a house? Sorry, they said, that only puts you on the waiting list to go on the housing list.

Disgusted, I went to live in a house I bought in Chorley, and TEN years later got a letter from Leyland Housing Office to say I was now eligible to go on their List.

Came to Barnsley in 1960, never regretted it, except I do miss the sunsets.

Expect you may have a post from Lady G, look for it.

William R.