Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Car Park Charges
19-Jul-2009, 05:32 PM
Car Park Charges
I went to the market car park yesterday morning as i wanted to to go to a couple of shops on Hough Lane.Minimum charge of 50p, up from 20p!I just walked straight back to my car.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
19-Jul-2009, 06:52 PM

What for the sake of 30p ! 20p was too cheap to start with ! I understand the principle of it but come on we have had it good for ages !
Find all posts by this user
19-Jul-2009, 07:40 PM

Parking should be free, if they didnt put so many yellow lines down then we wouldnt be stuck for parking space.

How can shops make money when their customers are charged so much that it makes them think twice about making a 5 minute stop somewhere.
19-Jul-2009, 08:57 PM

quote:

Originally posted by DavidBatty

Parking should be free, if they didnt put so many yellow lines down then we wouldnt be stuck for parking space.

How can shops make money when their customers are charged so much that it makes them think twice about making a 5 minute stop somewhere.

Agree totally. The new car park at Preston Railway Station costs £42 a week!!! Only in good old UK do motorists get screwed .[V]
19-Jul-2009, 10:04 PM

If car parking was free we would be living in a gridlock scenario all the time ! I dont agree with all the tariffs but the Leyland tariffs are cheap in comparison to most ! There are far to many cars on the road these days so I am all for putting motorists off driving into our towns and cities !
19-Jul-2009, 10:35 PM

There is a car park that is free for one hour, it is the one on King street/Sumner street.

I think there is ample parking there for everyone who needs to make a quick stopin Leyland.

http://www.leylandminiclub.com - All mini owners/enthusisasts welcome new & old
20-Jul-2009, 09:32 AM

Parking in Leyland I would go to Netto car park or Aldi/Tesco which are all free.
20-Jul-2009, 10:03 PM

Reinstatement of corporal punishment for taxi drivers who park in non-taxi spaces when taxi-only spaces are empty would improve the situation enormously Smile
Quote this message in a reply
24-Jul-2009, 09:08 PM

Free parking to boost trade
23 July 2009
Free parking spaces will be introduced at Leyland Market to encourage more shoppers to visit the town centre.

Ecroyd Street car park will get 26 parking spaces to allow shoppers to park free for up to an hour.

More than 3,000 people signed a petition from market traders calling on South Ribble Council to introduce free parking at their end of town.

LEP Website

Martin ~
25-Jul-2009, 04:28 AM

When we take UK visitors to some of our suburban, Seattle-area shopping centres, they can't believe the parking. At Bellevue Square, there's a three-story parking garage with about 4000 spaces and it's free!

Out here in the dingle weeds, we really don't have parking problems, except maybe around the Post Office, but if you're willing to walk 50 yards, you can find a space.

Our town (Anacortes, 16,000 population) is a lot like the Leyland we grew up in, except it's a seaside town a bit like Grange-over-Sands. If I remember right, the population in Leyland was around 14,000 at the time we emigrated (1968).

We have a main shopping street, Commercial Avenue, pretty much like Hough Lane but longer and there's a second, parallel street (Q Avenue) with one hardware store. Many of the bigger stores (Safeway and the drug stores) fill the block between Commercial and Q.

Commercial Avenue has a lot of small tourist-oriented boutiques, a couple of florists, an amazing number of hair and nail salons (can't figure out how they all can survive), a couple of delicatessens that do lunches, and several banks. There's a limit on the size of any store (50,000 sq ft) and on the number of supermarkets in town (2).

The biggest problem is that most of the property owners are not local, many are Californicators, so the rents are ridiculous. In a recent article in the local weekly paper, we learned that the State liquor store paid a monthly rent in excess of $6000! There's a Radio Shack store (Tandy to you folks) in an almost identical space adjacent to the liquor store. They seem to be doing OK, but to feed a rent of $6000 a month, they have to sell about $60,000 worth of stuff every month, not counting what they pay the help, insurance, interest on loans for stock, etc.

We've thought about opening a British import business, as the nearest one is 85 miles away, but the rents are unsustainable.

At least, so far, on-street parking in Anacortes is still free - no meters, no parking patrol officers. It can be a bit of a problem finding a curbside space on Commercial Avenue at certain times and days, but it's not bad overall. The side streets usually have room and the walk isn't a big deal.

It's best in the winter months when there aren't any grockles (Devonian/Cornish term for tourists!).

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.