Car Park Charges
25-Jul-2009, 09:24 PM

quote:

Originally posted by filmoss

What for the sake of 30p !

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
25-Jul-2009, 09:28 PM

Whoops,did that wrong.Yeah,for the sake of a extra 30p when i was going to be about 5 or 10 minutes.At Lostock Hall they have the 'blue bays' that are free for very short stays,maybe the powers that be could think along those lines.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-Aug-2009, 01:53 PM

Totally confused by this. We went into Leyland on Saturday afternoon and parked in the FREE car park at the junction of Sumner Street/King Street. This has been FREE for some time and is a short walk from Hough Lane. Yet, at a supposedly peak shopping time, it was over half empty! In fact it has spaces in virtually any time I pass it, I have hardly ever seen it full or ever had trouble parking there. I commented on Saturday to my wife about how so many people in Leyland have blubbed and bleated over the "lack" of free parking when what is available free is underused.
Find all posts by this user
10-Aug-2009, 03:32 PM

I've always found the car park full whenever I've tried to park there. There's something about the place, tricky to get in, tight parking. Puts me off. I'll take more notice next time I pass though to be honest it's easier to park at Aldi or Netto for an hour or so.
12-Aug-2009, 01:39 PM

To be blunt, it is also easy to park on the King Street car park. If you can afford to run a car, you cannot possibly claim that 50p is too expensive.
12-Aug-2009, 03:39 PM

It's not THAT long ago that ten bob would buy a week's groceries!

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
12-Aug-2009, 04:12 PM

quote:

Originally posted by JDH

To be blunt, it is also easy to park on the King Street car park. If you can afford to run a car, you cannot possibly claim that 50p is too expensive.

I can. Parking should be free to shoppers otherwise they'll go elsewhere where the parking is free.
12-Aug-2009, 04:15 PM

quote:

Originally posted by anacortesdamp

It's not THAT long ago that ten bob would buy a week's groceries!

Frank

Well maybe not 10 bob Frank but I remember my parents' "tab" at Lowery's for a full week's groceries coming to just under £2 back in the fifties.
How has inflation improved anything?
12-Aug-2009, 11:25 PM

I can see where you're coming from, JDH, but I choose to walk round town. I can afford shoes, but what happens when the council decide to charge 50p for every flagstone I tread on? The issue isn't really affordability, it's whether or not the tax (because that's what it is) is justified/ justifiable. The cost of providing the civic amenity of car parks can't have increased by 250% year on year - or even decade on decade. So why the increase? To stop even more people driving into town?? I can't imagine why the local traders haven't got a permanent protest outside SRBC. All the council does is drive business to the "out of town" venues like Tesco and Morrisons. And King St? Pretty sure the last time I used it it was P&D. They kept that one quiet!
Quote this message in a reply
13-Aug-2009, 01:44 PM

quote:

Originally posted by noel
I can. Parking should be free to shoppers otherwise they'll go elsewhere where the parking is free.

Why should council run parking be free? 50p a hour is cheap for P&D in this area, half the cost of an hour in the Fishergate Centre in Preston for example, despite the latter having slightly better shopping than Leyland. Or would you shun 50p in Leyland and pay the fuel for the 10 mile round trip to the free parking at the Capitol Centre? For example....

It is not the charging 50p that's the problem, it's the logic of the public!