Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What caught your eye today.
31-Jul-2009, 09:46 PM
What caught your eye today.
I thought this would be a good topic. Members could share what had held their interest this week. We could at the end of the year reflect on it.

I will set the ball rolling.....

The death of Harry Patch last survivor of the 1st World War. He died for our freedom and so we might have freedom from those who wish to control us and the freedom to say what we think... all things under threat at this time.[Sad!]

The President of the United States showing his true colours calling the New England Police and the policeman who arrested his friend stupid.[:0]
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
31-Jul-2009, 10:54 PM

Sir Bobby Robson surrenders to cancer. He was still raising money for the cause right up to his death this morning ! I believe he raised over a million pounds and died with great dignity. I raise a glass to him and hope you will join me ! CHEERS !
01-Aug-2009, 04:02 AM

Avril:

I'm reminded of the line from Stanley Holloway's monologue about Magna Carta.

"And it's because of Magna Carta, as was written by t'barons of old, that in England today we can do what we like, just as long as we do as we're told".

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
01-Aug-2009, 04:33 PM

The attempt by the MOD to reduce the compensation pay-outs to our soldiers injured in battle. Quite scandalous at a time when the killing and maiming of our lads in Afghanistan has reached a record high. What sort of message does this send out when MPs are still able to claim as much in a year, without receipts, as a soldier gets for being shot in the arm or leg.[V]

Salute Bobby Robson and Harry Patch though, rest in peace.
01-Aug-2009, 10:47 PM

I wanted to add a little postscript to the Harry Patch thought. The fact that his daughter attended the funeral aged 89. Imagine that. Sad that they had not spoken for 40years....
02-Aug-2009, 02:58 AM

Today I had a regular visit from mummy duck with her two babies. They come to the back door every morning and evening for a feed, usually some scraps of bresd. I built a fence to keep the ducks out, they can be a real nuisance in the pool, the first thing they do is poo and then I have a pool full of algae. Not this one though, she was born in the bushes next to the pool but has never been a problem. She is the only one to have figured out that there's enough room to squeeze through the fence in one corner. Ducks are too lazy to fly in, so she's the only one to visit.
There were 10 babies out of thirteen eggs but 8 havent made it, the two left are now three weeks old, I have photos of them hatching. Yes, they go in the pool to begin with and I built a little ramp for them to get out again, they find it easily. Now they've taken mama's lead and go in the bayou only.
It really is a nice start to the day to be greeted by this little family and puts me in a good mood straight off.
John
02-Aug-2009, 08:05 AM

John what is a bayou?
02-Aug-2009, 10:14 AM

Roy Orbison sang Blue Bayou. Is it some kind of lake?
03-Aug-2009, 12:54 AM

Why did so many not make it John.
03-Aug-2009, 03:43 AM

A bayou is a slow moving body of water, a bit like a canal. The bayou we live on is connected to Lake Pontchartrain and then the sea, and therefore tidal. The water is brackish, a mixture of salt and fresh, the salinity varies with the tides and rainfall, which in turn determines the fish and shellfish varieties.
All the ducks I've seen suffer enormous fatalities, about 30% don't hatch, many just die off in the first few days of life when they seem to be healthy, I don't know why. Many are taken by predators, either fish when swimming or hawks when on land. This is why ducks lay large clutches, I've seen up to 20 eggs in a nest. I've often wondered why all the eggs hatch within 24 hours till it dawned on me. The female lays the eggs over a period of a couple of weeks, but does'nt sit on them, once they're all laid she sits on them almost constantly till they hatch, only taking a brief break maybe twice a day for a flap and a wash, they don't seem to feed at all.
The eggs hatch after 37 to 38 days [Muscovy, Mallard a day or two less].
John