Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turpin Green Lane & Yadok Norris
15-Sep-2009, 06:58 PM
Turpin Green Lane & Yadok Norris
Hello

I am researching my family history. An ancestor, Yadok Norris and his wife and 10 children lived at 25 Turpin Green Lane, Leyland according to the 1891 census.

I am planning a visit to the area (I live in the south) and wonder if number 25 is still there? I understand there are some old houses still there but there are also new houses. I would like to take a photo of 25 Turpin Green Lane if it is still there.

I have alot of ancestors who lived in Leyland and also Farington and worked in the cotton mills. If anyone else is researching Norris or Moss Norris in the area, do please get in touch.

Best wishes,

Wendy
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
15-Sep-2009, 07:26 PM

I sem to remember a family called Norris that lived up school street in Farington in my youth ( many years ago LOL) They were friends with a family called Parker who had a daughter Dorothy and a son called George I know that they all came to Butlins at Skegness in 1951 when we went. There was obviously some sort of organised trip possibly from the Conservative club in farington.
15-Sep-2009, 09:44 PM

Hi Shuffy

Gosh I wonder if the Norris you remember is one of my ancestors. I have such a lot of them!!!

Wendy
15-Sep-2009, 10:05 PM

Hi, Wendy:

Google Earth and Google Maps both recognise 25 Turpin Green Lane, though neither of them actually point to a house. It's been a while since we left Leyland, so I'm guessing a bit, but I think number 25 will be in a block of Victorian terraced houses across the street from the Methodist church, between Charnock Street and Bretherton Terrace. There was another block between what was a butcher's shop on the corner of Balcarres Road and the intersection of Turpin Green and Canberra Road, but after the extension of King Street, I'm not sure they're still there.

I'ms sure forum members who still live in Leyland will be able to fill in more details. It's not easy from more than 4000 miles away, so memory comes into play perhaps to cloud things.

Frank Damp
Anacortes, Washington State, USA

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
15-Sep-2009, 10:59 PM

Hi Frank

Thanks for your help.

I discovered that there is a house for sale on Turpin Green Lane and I called the agents to see which number it is but it was not 25. Unfortunately they were unable to tell me if number 25 is still there.

It seems that there is still a row of Victorian looking terraced houses, however, further research shows a row of newly built houses on Turpin Green Lane so I am unsure if number 25 is still there.

It must have been very crowded living in a terraced house with 10 children and many of them worked in the cotton mill, a hard life.

Thanks again,

Wendy
16-Sep-2009, 04:06 AM

Actually, Wendy, if it was one of those opposite the church, they're a lot bigger than they look. Ten kids would've been a problem wherever they lived, but those houses were three rooms deep. When you came in the front door, there was a corridor leading to the foot of the stairs, off to the side of which was the "front sitting room". The corridor made a dog-leg at the base of the stairs, and immediately after that was the "back sitting room. Further down the corridor was the kitchen, usually with a pretty good-sized pantry, then a single story "lean-to" which housed the laundry room.

Upstairs, there was a master bedroom over the front sitting room, usually quite large and sometimes (though not in the case of the Turpin Green houses) cantilevered out a couple of feet over downstairs. there was a second bedroom behind that, and then a third one over the kitchen. In modern terms (as we use them in the US), I'd think the living space was maybe 900 square feet. By comparison, our bungalow in Anacortes is 1700 square feet!

I seem to remember that the house that was second up from Charnock Street was number 11, so number 25 would have been 9 houses further up. I think there were 12 total in that row, so maybe number 25 was on the corner of Bretherton Terrace.

Further down towards what is now the roundabout was all shops, so you don't think of addresses. Back when I was a kid, there was a butchers shop on the corner of Charnock Street, then a double shop front that was a bakery (Marginson's?), and then a bank that was set at 45 degrees across the corner. The bakery subsequently became a motorcycle shop (Bob Barton's). It was all demolished when the roundabout went in.

I doubt that the outward appearance of the block of houses has changed in 60 years, so a current photo wouldn't be out of place in your archive.

When I was an engineering student at Salford Tech, I stayed in a boarding house in Old Trafford that was just that layout and my wife had family friends who lived in Preston in an identical one. Many were considered roomy enough to convert the front part of the ground floor into a small shop and for the family to live behind and above. My wife had an aunt and uncle who lived in such a building in Preston and had a newsagent's shop in the space normally the "front sitting room". Also, her Mum & Dad had a similar set-up on Hough Lane, where they had a greengrocery in the "front room" and the family accomodations behind and upstairs. It was Nixon's Greengrocery, at 90 Hough Lane. The "Gasworks" bus stop for 111 buses going towards Earnshaw Bridge and 109's going to Chorley was right outside their front door. People on the top deck of the double deckers could look into the front bedroom!

Frank

16-Sep-2009, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the info Frank, that's really interesting. I am glad the house was bigger than I thought. I had imagined a "2 up, 2 down" small terraced house with 10 children and 2 adults!!!!

My curiosity is really getting the better of me now and I am tempted to drive up there and have a look!!! Although it is a 3 hour trip.

I hope someone can tell me soon if the original 25 Turpin Green Lane is still there please.

Many thanks,

Wendy
16-Sep-2009, 08:10 PM

No.25 Turpin Green
[Image: screenshot008eq.jpg]
and an aerial shot
[Image: screenshot009q.jpg]
Don't know how up to date these are but I guess they're not too old.
16-Sep-2009, 10:34 PM

Thanks, Tony. I never though to check county records! It never occurred to me that the terrace side opposite the Church would be even numbers. I thought I remembered one of them as number 9.

I think that the block in which 25 is located were converted to shops, assuming that the "shelter" shown on the edge of the pavement is the bus shelter for the Euxton Lane service. The gap where 21 would have been may have been a wooden building that housed a bike shop.

Frank

16-Sep-2009, 11:28 PM

Thank you so much Tony, that's wonderful. I am amazed it is still there although as Frank says it may have been converted to shops. Its definately worth a visit and, if it is now a shop, then I guess I will get to go inside too!!!!

Thanks again,

Wendy